Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Agreed 100%.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone would want to raise their children here either. I thank my lucky stars I grew up in a different US state; I would be a completely different person if I was raised here, it's almost scary to even think about it...
Agreed %100 with what or whom?
And you wouldn't want to raise children in Orange County?
That's just a small part of a very big and very diverse state.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:09 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,358,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Agreed %100 with what or whom?
And you wouldn't want to raise children in Orange County?
That's just a small part of a very big and very diverse state.
With the OP...

Other parts of SoCal aren't that much better from what I've experienced (never been to NorCal).

Old 11-08-2009, 12:12 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,371 times
Not far from OC, and not so bad.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
With the OP...

Other parts of SoCal aren't that much better from what I've experienced (never been to NorCal).
It's a big state (look! ) .... and so thinking that SoCal is what California is all about is an error.

Attached Thumbnails
Is the state of California A Great Place to Visit, but Terrible Place to Live?-ca-out3.gif  

Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 PM

302 posts, read 864,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
What I hear from you is that external forces like the economy, being at the wrong place at the wrong time, politics, etc. has the power to dictate, control, and set the tone of someone's life. That sounds like something that CNN (constantly negative news) would want us to believe.
No that's reality and life experience. You sound like a proud Californian, and probably not much has gone wrong in your life to deter you from your dreams, so more power to you. Your arrogance, unfortunately, is an embodiment of one of the reasons leaving this state (and people like that) is so appealing. You seem to have the same propensity for starting flame wars as Clarks. I'm sure you won't see it that way, though.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 PM

302 posts, read 864,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
And I do a huge amount of work to make this state a better place for you, and me, and our children down through the generations....
Too bad you don't do more to make this forum a better place. Your compassion and understanding is at a low. I won't explain the humility thing to you, because you obviously don't get it. I'm assuming you're not a religious man (Christ would be a good example of humility and it's merits).

Quote:
Here is a goal to shoot for, Screw Sacramento has stated he has a disability, look at this photo;

He is a paraplegic, yet, he does not let that stop him. He has literally conquered, himself. The rock is merely the stage.
Good for the guy on the rock. I didn't state when I mentioned my disability that it hindered me from getting a job or that I have no recreational life; I love getting out there and doing things. The debates here are about the job market, education, the economy, and the like. I'm just not going to do things that would aggravate that disability, such as lifting a car; this is a no brainer.

You know very little about me because I've only told you the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Any piece of information would be treated with irreverent and belligerance, so there's no point. You didn't even pick up on the fact that I'm a female.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
didn't state when I mentioned my disability that it hindered me from getting a jo
Quite specifically you stated you could not work in the fields.

Quote:
You didn't even pick up on the fact that I'm a female.
Really, a female that used the word 'screw' as a moniker, I know what my sainted mother would say about that.

Christ had humility? Look what happened to him. I am not sure that trashing the temple was an act of humility. I am not sure that walking on the water out to the fishermen was an act of humility. What are a redneck's typical last words? "Hey ya'll watch this"

Old 11-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
No that's reality and life experience. You sound like a proud Californian, and probably not much has gone wrong in your life to deter you from your dreams, so more power to you. Your arrogance, unfortunately, is an embodiment of one of the reasons leaving this state (and people like that) is so appealing. You seem to have the same propensity for starting flame wars as Clarks. I'm sure you won't see it that way, though.
I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not she's a "proud Californian".
This kind of hard a** attitude can be found anywhere and everywhere and has nothing to do with what state one lives in.
There are many people who accept that a "mind over matter", "pull yourself up by your boot straps", "chin up", "stop your b*******" , blah, blah, blah, attitude is the way to be.
And, for many, that approach to life works and there is virtue in those admonitions ... to a point and they're more effective for some than others.
Often people who are successful (in a worldly sense) have very little tolerance for those who, because of their nature and inner states of mind and heart, don't do well with such advice and who struggle in ways that are not familiar.
And issues such as depression, deep discouragement, disillusionment, mental and emotional imbalance, etc., make that kind of approach near to or completely irrelevant.
That said, ScrewSacramento, you do seem to have a rather negative and self defeating attitude and your screen name alone suggests that you're fairly angry and bitter about your situation and the place in which you live.
And Clarks is right i think and i do not accept that he posts to inflame (although he's a tough one)... it seems that you are indeed limiting yourself by constant negation.
There are ways to change and the first step is awareness ... becoming aware of your mind and how you are thinking and what preconceived notions you accept as absolute truth and what mental "tapes" you are running unchecked and how you perceive yourself .... it's important to see how you are blocking yourself from moving forward into a better future and gaining objectivity about your mind and your attitudes is necessary.
The key (one of the keys) is accepting that change is possible, allowing it (being open to it - receptive - non-action) and then finding the way(s) to "do it" (action) that are congruent with your own nature.
As someone who has spent a lot of time in the pit of negativity, it's a difficult place to emerge from and, if you're relatively young (which it seems you are) the sooner you "turn it around", the better.
That's my unsolicited advice given in full realization that i do not know you but for your posts and may be off the mark.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 11-08-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
depression, deep discouragement, disillusionment, mental and emotional imbalance, etc.
Everyone has issues, aside from sociopaths It is what you do inspite of your "handicaps" that counts. Most guys that came out of the Vietnam experience have emotional handicaps, some have physical, never the less, most are accomplished. Holy cowabunga, I could write a book on multi decade long Depression struggles.

Mark Wellman actually made a well paying career out of his accident, Do ya think he struggled for a while? Ya Think? An accomplished athletic man who can no longer use his legs. I imagine he had to "grow up".

Heck, my son's mother, the RN that makes over $80,000 a year in Sacramento is loony tunes (crazy women can be great fun, just don't have kids with em) but she is successful at her work.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Everyone has issues, aside from sociopaths It is what you do inspite of your "handicaps" that counts. Most guys that came out of the Vietnam experience have emotional handicaps, some have physical, never the less, most are accomplished. Holy cowabunga, I could write a book on multi decade long Depression struggles.

Mark Wellman actually made a well paying career out of his accident, Do ya think he struggled for a while? Ya Think? An accomplished athletic man who can no longer use his legs. I imagine he had to "grow up".

Heck, my son's mother, the RN that makes over $80,000 a year in Sacramento is loony tunes (crazy women can be great fun, just don't have kids with em) but she is successful at her work.
My dad lost his leg many, many years ago and learned to ski again.
He was a mountaineer, an athlete, a fly fisherman (still does that) and an extremely physical guy.
He's overcome so many obstacles and dealt with so much adversity that you'd give him a medal .... maybe 10.
But he's still an a** hole in many ways (though i love him and appreciate his virtues).
Overcoming adversity makes one accomplished at overcoming adversity.
It does not necessarily open the heart however.
And he still, given his extreme yang / externally driven nature, cannot relax, cannot sit and do nothing (that would be a true accomplishment for him!), is not at peace and, like the bull that he is, keeps driving himself despite his advanced age.
And he's constantly applauded for it (given this cultures over-the-top yang-ness ... enamored with outer "success") despite the fact that his approach to life could end up killing him ... still on the slopes even though he can barely get off the chair .. still riding a bike though he broke his femur bone (for the 3rd time in his life) a couple of summers ago (fell off bike) ... i could go on.
I appreciate your admiration for those who overcome great obstacles but you're not done "working", imo.
When you get to a place of humility and non-judgment, i'll send you a medal and a diploma.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 11-08-2009 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California