Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 02:32 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,990 times

Advertisements

Sorry I Like the Santa Anas Winds only in Winter It warms us up b/c winters are brrr(For me).Santa Ana's makes it to dam hot and dry in the Summer/Fall But there lovely during the Winters just my opinion.Heres the difference in Air quality before and during/after the Santa Ana Winds.

Before Santa Ana/Regular Day :http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Smoggy_haze_in_the_Inland_Empire.JPG (broken link)

The Inland Empire is subject to smog conditions on a regular basis as seen here, looking south, from the north terminus of Haven Avenue in Rancho Cucamonga. Note how the street 'fades' into the smoggy haze and the Santa Ana Mountains are completely obscured.

During/After Santa Ana's :http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b3/Generally_clear_day_in_the_Inland_Empire.jpg (broken link)

The Inland Empire is also subject to Santa Ana Winds that lead to generally clear days, free of smog or the marine layer. Note how the street that 'faded' into the smoggy haze and the Santa Ana Mountains that were completely obscured in the image to the left are now visible.

Big Difference Santa Anas Really clean the Air notice how you could see the mountains clearly b/c the winds clear it out,Most days the smog is Stuck in those Mountains.

Last edited by californialove24; 03-14-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM

9 posts, read 24,917 times
California sucks

Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOverCali View Post
California sucks
Why don't you like California?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 PM

23 posts, read 86,106 times
I've visited California numerous times (and loved it every time), and if money were no object, then I think it'd be a perfect place for me. Granted, that's a pretty big "if," but as a young, single, childfree-by-choice woman, I can indulge in California dreamin', eh?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymballine View Post
I've visited California numerous times (and loved it every time), and if money were no object, then I think it'd be a perfect place for me. Granted, that's a pretty big "if," but as a young, single, childfree-by-choice woman, I can indulge in California dreamin', eh?
Yep, it is a fun place for singles who like the outdoors and year round activities. You need to find your niche basically in an area you like to live in. CA has many micro climates. So even within one county you can have temps vary 40+ degrees and smog go from the worst health conditions to fine near the coast. So if you do come out error on the side of better climate if possible (closer to the coast) and away from downtown LA and the mess of LA, SD, OC, Sac or SF daily traffic jams to work. Quality of life can vary greatly depending on several of these key factors.

Derek

Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 23,149 times
This is a hard question. I spent my entire life in CA (first LA as a kid, then the Bay Area) and moved to Eugene Oregon last year. I miss California to be honest and I'm thinking of moving back. But, Eugene is way cool. It's beautiful, cheap, and hip. It has lots of stuff to do, farmer's markets, organic foods, hiking and camping galore. It rains a lot in the winter/fall/spring but I don't mind. Actually, i like the rain, because California is in a bad drought, and its water reserves are near empty. Water bills are huge in CA. So I appreciate the free water in Oregon. It's mind blowingly lush and green here in Eugene. So what do I miss? I miss the beautiful ARCHITECTURE of the Bay Area, its burritos, its vibrant energy, its diversity and great food. And my friends and family. Eugene Oregon is great though. I wish it were closer to the Bay.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,696 times
Born, raised and spent half of my life (20 years) in SoCal. Went back to San Diego for 9 years and realized how miserable the quality of life is. Congestion, Traffic, smog, dirty beaches, attitude, superficiality........it totally lacked sense of community and value, for me at least.

To each his own though...

Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOverCali View Post
California sucks
Real insightful

Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,825 times
Brand new CA resident here. Hope the stay is real short. You can have your golden state paradise. Yack

Near 10% income tax
Near 10% sales tax
Tax on beverage containers
20 days to register your car when you move in or over $130.00 in fines
Online DMV appointment scheduler backlogged about 15 days
Drive by shootings
Gas over $3.00 per gallon
300K and more for a fixer
200K for a fixer where they might shoot at you
Water shortages
layer upon layer of rules
Forclosures up the nose
unemployment over 10%
God forbid you like GUNS. Oh no
Schools full of angry go no where useless tax consumers
I5 during rush hour
It is a great place to be homeless. You can live under a bridge and not freeze to death

I love the picture posted of the inland empire. Near desert, water shortages yet there in the pic. Nice green grass. Simply brilliant.
CARB on the one hand because of all the air pollution. But on the other hand, a 55MPH speed limit on a county road (S13 in San Diego County) with stop signals. Oh yea, the air quality is important, that's why CA drivers virtually drag race to their next brake check 200 yards ahead.

This peculiar CA habit has me the new CA resident baffled. Why "race" to the next light again and again and again? It's a waste of fuel and brake system components in addition to being extremely polluting.

Last edited by cycle_rcr; 11-03-2009 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: line break addition

Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle_rcr View Post
Brand new CA resident here. Hope the stay is real short. You can have your golden state paradise. Yack

Near 10% income tax
Near 10% sales tax
Tax on beverage containers
20 days to register your car when you move in or over $130.00 in fines
Online DMV appointment scheduler backlogged about 15 days
Drive by shootings
Gas over $3.00 per gallon
300K and more for a fixer
200K for a fixer where they might shoot at you
Water shortages
layer upon layer of rules
Forclosures up the nose
unemployment over 10%
God forbid you like GUNS. Oh no
Schools full of angry go no where useless tax consumers
I5 during rush hour
It is a great place to be homeless. You can live under a bridge and not freeze to death

I love the picture posted of the inland empire. Near desert, water shortages yet there in the pic. Nice green grass. Simply brilliant.
CARB on the one hand because of all the air pollution. But on the other hand, a 55MPH speed limit on a county road (S13 in San Diego County) with stop signals. Oh yea, the air quality is important, that's why CA drivers virtually drag race to their next brake check 200 yards ahead.

This peculiar CA habit has me the new CA resident baffled. Why "race" to the next light again and again and again? It's a waste of fuel and brake system components in addition to being extremely polluting.
You must be living in (and leaving) SoCal.
California is a big, big place ... it's not all like that (aside from taxes and stuff like that) everywhere ... not even close.
So these broad statements about California are really silly.
Ya know, when you go back to wherever it is that's better for you and tell your friends about California ... preface it with > it was your experience in the part of CA that you lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California