Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

I think the real lessons in this thread are that you have to plan realistically. You have to have reasonably achievable expectations. Retirement income doesn't just happen. You have to make it happen. You can't expect prime rib accomodations on a hamburger budget. Not everyone can live on or near coastal Caklifornia no matter their dreams of the Golden State. Finally, as has been pointed out, housing is the deciding factor and the biggest part of most people's budgets. In California, affordable is elusive and does not usually come with safety and good schools. These are just the realities.

My wife and I could have stayed in California when I retired but chose not to. While schools were not a factor for us, we wanted home ownership at a sustainable cost which was doable in CA but with trade-offs we weren't willing to make. We had to adjust to less income that is now fixed, but for small COLAS, and ramp down our cost of living while maintaining our decent quality of life. We were fortunate enough to achieve these things in an area we revel in but it took years of planning and investigation to get to the end-result we wanted. We were not going to settle for less.

I really feel sorry for those blinded by the golden gleam of what they think they can have in CA and who make the move with unrealistic expectations. In the main, they're setting themselves up for huge disappointment, a marginal lifestyle at best and likely the necessity to eventually become dependent on social services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:36 AM

26 posts, read 91,596 times
I know that my post is a year later than Curmudgeon, but I have to agree with him. California is not all that golden as most like to believe. The only part that gets golden is the dried up grass in the summer time. This state has the second highest rate of unemployment at last look of 12.3 and if anyone that has never lived here thinks that all of California is like L.A. think again. I live in Sonora and the town may be small and right now there are no jobs available. I look everyday in the newspapers and there is not much there.

Living in Sonora is not what it was advertised to be. The people here are very cold to anyone that moves here from other states. It seems that they just don't like those that relocate to California. But it seems that if someone from California moves to any other state, they are the ones that are treated like outsiders. When I lived in Nevada, I was told by those that have lived in Nevada or were born there, they do not like anyone from California or even the east coast. The person that was telling me this because when someone from California relocates to another state, the Californian tries to enforce the ways that things should be done californian style. Other states don't want that.

It is so said when one wants to move to another state because of weather reason or health reason and figure that a small town such as Sonora would be the perfect place to live, well I found out differently. There are those that don't like the way one speaks and will be made fun of. It's too bad that more of Modesto and Stockton wouldn't move up here. I would feel sorry for those from either Stockton or Modesto that do.

Well now that I am unemployed thanks to the local hospital and their "Christian Ways", I guess that I can move out California to a much friendlier state and CHEAPER state. I did love living in the Midwest as the people I met were very friendly and would always want to help someone out. Even when I lived on an Native American Reservation (my husband was Native American), I was treated very fair and did make some good friends.

To those that are not aware of things around here, drugs run rampent. In the mountains the police are always finding acres of marijuna, not to mention the meth labs. The local police do not do that much to find and shut them down.

So my boyfriend and I have agreed to move to a nice state, in a nice town that knows how to handle crime and such. Even Las Vegas does a good job with the gangs as well as all of the drunks. LOL....so my advice to all of those that want to relocate to California, do your reseach well in advance and I'm talking days, I'm talking months, and even years. Housing is too high in the good neighborhoods and cheap in the questionable ones. The place that we hope to relocate to is in AZ and I have found a 3 bdrm, 2 bathroom home with 6 acres of land for under $100,000. Taxes are low too.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac852 View Post
There are 4,678,517 people in Calif livin on soc. sec, so gotta be places affordable. I guess most of you people givin answers haven't ever had to get by on $20 a week for groceries and shower in the kitchen sink after heatin your water-lol. With over 4 million people in calif livin on ss there's gotta be affordable housing somewhere, granted lots of those have additional income, but lots dont, and i am very knowledgeable in diff ways of makin money. I guess my time on this forum is over, need to find a poor mans site, cause most of ya'll seem to be well off livin in your nice homes and have no clue as to what I'm talkin about. I would much rather live in a cabin in the woods than have my 3 br home and pool with all the bills, the ex is payin for all that now. Peace
Billy I sympathize with you as I too had a rough period in my life and am going through it again. Learned from the first time in my life and am learning that there are may food pantrys that will help you out in your time of need. Give them a call. I'm moving out of this state sometime this year to a warmer and friendlier state. I hope that you find a job somewhere else as in this area there is not much available.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie456 View Post
Hello.
I am relatively new to city-data. What I am noticing as I read posts and older ones using search function, is that alot of contributors seem to be well off and much of the relocation advice is geared toward the middle and upper classes, thereby ignoring half the population, and even more retirees. So often when I and others ask about where to find safe areas; affluent, well meaning folks give answers that assume the asker is just like them financially; this even tho I am pretty honest about my status as a retiree on strict budget, low income, etc. I would like to see this good forum have more balance in this respect.
natalie456
Natalie, it all depends exactly where you want to live. In Sonora, CA, there are alot of low-income appts that are very affordable and they charge their rent by what your income is. They are in pretty good areas. The ones that I am talking about are near the only hospital in town and many dr's offices as well as dentist office, eye drs. There are many drugstores and a few that will deliver. Plenty of grocery stores and one department store. Good Luck

Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie456 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, 'EscapeCalifornia', those who worked in less affluent jobs, had medical expenses or economic reverses in the market, or other problems should expect to cower in ghettoes, is what I am taking from your response.
natalie456
Not at all. There are indeed less expensive areas which are still quite nice. Why don't you tell us what part of the state you are interested in and maybe we can give you better advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California