Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie456 View Post
CA isn't the right move for me.
Are you sure?

What is your budget for housing? Challenge us. Maybe we can find something for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,595,573 times
Quote:
Hello.
I am relatively new to city-data. What I am noticing as I read posts and older ones using search function, is that alot of contributors seem to be well off and much of the relocation advice is geared toward the middle and upper classes, thereby ignoring half the population, and even more retirees. So often when I and others ask about where to find safe areas; affluent, well meaning folks give answers that assume the asker is just like them financially; this even tho I am pretty honest about my status as a retiree on strict budget, low income, etc. I would like to see this good forum have more balance in this respect.
natalie456
What I often see happening with the posts on this forum is that someone will say something like this:

I am on a fixed income and need to find a two bedroom apartment that is within walking distance of shopping and work opportunities, is close to the ocean, and is in a good school district (we have two school aged children). As I said, I'm on a fixed income, but my wife would like to work in the retail sector (she will find a job when we get there). We can afford up to $800 per month for rent. Where can I find something in the West L.A./Santa Monica area that meets our requirements?

The problem with posts like this is that they are, quite often, unrealistic. Someone might find something that would work for them in Bakersfield for that amount of money, but the west side of the L.A. area is out of the question. They seem to be put off when someone tells them they need four or five times that much for rent in that area, or that they will need to look elsewhere. They also seem to be put off when they are told they will probably also need a car, because they can't walk everywhere they want to go, and public transportation leaves a lot to be desired in the L.A. area.

While I understand the plight of those on fixed incomes, it needs to be understood that they will not get a cheap apartment in the most desirable of neighborhoods. They need to look into more affordable communities, or giving up some of the amenities they are seeking.

Unfortunately, the communities that tend to be more affordable, also tend to have higher crime rates, and, thus, are not what most on this forum would consider a "safe" area. Communities that are both safe and affordable seem to be few and far between in California's large metropolitan areas, but are more common in smaller, more rural communities.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,384,617 times
Quote:
Hello.
I am relatively new to city-data. What I am noticing as I read posts and older ones using search function, is that alot of contributors seem to be well off and much of the relocation advice is geared toward the middle and upper classes, thereby ignoring half the population, and even more retirees. So often when I and others ask about where to find safe areas; affluent, well meaning folks give answers that assume the asker is just like them financially; this even tho I am pretty honest about my status as a retiree on strict budget, low income, etc. I would like to see this good forum have more balance in this respect.
natalie456
I want a car that goes from 0-60 in 5 seconds, leather seats, power everything...but I'm offended how people have been recommending BMW, Mercedes, Audi...WE AREN'T ALL RICH!

The problem is that many poor to lower-middle class people don't take the advice seriously. People aren't joking when they talk about the high cost of living in California.

Last edited by Jonotastic; 01-03-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
Great posts about unrealistic expectations. I love the car analogy!

However, I must say it is hard to find specific guidance about a good fit in California without a bunch of hyperbole. California is pretty darn diverse, and it seems like there should be some intermediate locations. I will wait from Natalie to learn what her thoughts are. Yes, I will agree is it probably unrealistic to expect affordable housing in, say, Santa Barbara, Carmel, or Malibu, but I would guess their are other options.

Natalie, where are you considering? What are your preferences? Obviously, you know I agree with you about the unaffordability of California as a whole, but you might be able to find some target areas to monitor, to swoop when opportunity strikes.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 01-03-2010 at 09:27 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 PM

631 posts, read 1,575,955 times
I hear what you're saying.

If you want a nice, affordable place to crash, try the Dakotas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Colorado (basically anywhere in middle America). If all you need are basic amenities and nothing more then the Dakotas, and Wyoming are for you. However if you do have some extra money for the occasional trip for entertainment try Oklahoma, Texas, or Colorado. Nebraska and Kansas are in-between if you catch my drift.

But then again it all really does come down to personal preference.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:43 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,769,660 times
Quote:
Hello.
natalie456
There are plenty of poor people living in California, so obviously it's possible. They don't all live in crime-filled ghettos, but if not then they have to make other accommodations, such as living with multiple housemates/family members, and/or living in smaller dwellings than they might afford elsewhere in the country.

I assure you that even most of us who are "well off" by national standards live in much crappier housing situations and/or pay much more for housing than we would have to put up with elsewhere.

If the $150k earners in Silicon Valley are occupying what would elsewhere be considered blue-collar or lower-middle class housing, then what does that leave for the $50k earners? Well, for a few years they could get funny-money loans and pretend that they were lower-middle class, but it seems that story doesn't have a happy ending.

Truth is, $50k affords you a one-bedroom rental apartment and not much else. If I were retired on a fixed income, I would look at almost any of the other 49 states, because the parts of California that I would be able to afford would be quite bad compared with the alternatives elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
There are thousands of families that receive rent assistance through various HUD programs...

There was a really hard working family that came from Mexico... they bought a 1100 square ft house... 3 bedrooms for 3 brothers and two had wives and then there were also two toddlers... that's a lot of people in one house...

If your single... many find roommate situations... or some are lucky and get to live in exclusive neighborhoods by finding in-law units or care-taker positions.

A retired couple I know has a very modest home... they are booked house sitting in multi-million dollar mansions in San Francisco, Marin and the Peninsula...

What I'm saying is you have to be resolved and resourceful... the truth is many retires are leaving because other areas are significantly less expensive...especially if you are not dependant on the local economy...

Nice Area are always in demand and go for a premium... California is no exception

Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I want a car that goes from 0-60 in 5 seconds, leather seats, power everything...but I'm offended how people have been recommending BMW, Mercedes, Audi...WE AREN'T ALL RICH!

The problem is that many poor to lower-middle class people don't take the advice seriously. People aren't joking when they talk about the high cost of living in California.
+1

We only give advice based on the criteria given to us. And 9 times out of 10 what people are looking for describes upper class areas.

That said, I have long espoused the belief that focusing too much on crime and insisting on top tier schools really is not realistic for most people looking to move into California.

Furthermore, there are plenty of middle class towns that I think are just fine for living in and raising a family in.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,887 times
Maybe the real question is where do middle class people live in California? Im sure there are some areas...places nobody has ever heard of...like Arcadia or Belmont or Pleasant Hill or Torrance. These are regular, middle class communities where police officers, construction people, bus drivers, grocery store employees, retail sales people, teachers, and nurses live that are also safe communities and relatively close to urban centers like LA and San Francisco.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
I don't think everyone on this forum is wealthy and biased towards only giving advice towards fellow wealthy people... wait, I KNOW that's not true, because I don't fit that profile.

I agree with pretty much everything being said. The advice is based on information provided, so the best thing to do if you want customized suggestions is to provide as much detail as possible. That includes budget, of course, but also some information about what exactly one means by "nice," "safe," etc. When you're talking about many parts of California you simply can't get it all with a low income. That's not bias on the part of forum members against those with limited budgets, it's simply a reflection of the fact that CA is an expensive state. Most people, even those with higher incomes, have to adjust their expectations or their budget, or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California