Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 04:27 PM

7,143 posts, read 4,552,321 times

Advertisements

A month in our 27 ft motor home is enough. I can’t imagine living in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 10:31 AM

1,421 posts, read 756,867 times
Not reading all 22 pages of this thread, but here's what we're doing.

I retire in 2 days, but have been planning for a couple years. We live in Florida and our plan is to escape during the hot months and return in the winter. After reviewing the pros and cons of the various types of RV, I decided that what would fit our lifestyle and temperament best would be a truck + 5th wheel trailer.

So, in August we bought a 6 year old F350 diesel pickup. A month later we bought a gently used 34 foot 5th wheel trailer. To make room for the new toy I had built a pad on the side of the house, had a 50 amp electric service installed, and modified the fence/gate to enclose the trailer. We're fixed now so that when we're home we can have the trailer fully set up, plugged in, and turned on. This gave us a great chance to practice camping at home.

We've made one short 2 night trip and in a few weeks we're making a longer shakedown cruise. I'm currently looking at taking us up into Georgia and the Carolinas around the beginning of May with a stretch goal of making it to northern Maine by mid-August before heading home. Next year I want to take us to the west coast.

We don't have any plans to full-time, but we are looking at being on the road for months at a time. Of course, until we've done it we can't know that we'll like it as much as I'm hoping we will. Nonetheless, I'm not spending my retirement sitting around the house.

I totally get that many people might be apprehensive about piloting 53 feet of truck + trailer down the road and then getting it parked at the other end of the drive. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous about it. Still, my philosophy has long been that if a thousand other schmoes can do it, so can I, and so we're going for it.

Be bold. That's my motto.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:45 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Not reading all 22 pages of this thread, but here's what we're doing.

I retire in 2 days, but have been planning for a couple years. We live in Florida and our plan is to escape during the hot months and return in the winter. After reviewing the pros and cons of the various types of RV, I decided that what would fit our lifestyle and temperament best would be a truck + 5th wheel trailer.

So, in August we bought a 6 year old F350 diesel pickup. A month later we bought a gently used 34 foot 5th wheel trailer. To make room for the new toy I had built a pad on the side of the house, had a 50 amp electric service installed, and modified the fence/gate to enclose the trailer. We're fixed now so that when we're home we can have the trailer fully set up, plugged in, and turned on. This gave us a great chance to practice camping at home.

We've made one short 2 night trip and in a few weeks we're making a longer shakedown cruise. I'm currently looking at taking us up into Georgia and the Carolinas around the beginning of May with a stretch goal of making it to northern Maine by mid-August before heading home. Next year I want to take us to the west coast.

We don't have any plans to full-time, but we are looking at being on the road for months at a time. Of course, until we've done it we can't know that we'll like it as much as I'm hoping we will. Nonetheless, I'm not spending my retirement sitting around the house.

I totally get that many people might be apprehensive about piloting 53 feet of truck + trailer down the road and then getting it parked at the other end of the drive. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous about it. Still, my philosophy has long been that if a thousand other schmoes can do it, so can I, and so we're going for it.

Be bold. That's my motto.
Good luck and I hope you find it fun. I bought a pickup and TT this spring. I went to a few small local(within 100 miles) campsites to get used to towing and parking in the campgrounds. Started out doing a few days and have went up to a week so far. I also done it in the middle of the week at first so the campgrounds were not full. I have really enjoyed it so far.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:48 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
Insert "crapper's full" comment here.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
What article? I believe you quoted me but are responding to something completely different. My response you quoted was for a Class C RV that could be separated like a tractor(semi) and trailer.
Of course if poster is asking for a Class C, and referring to the 'modular' option, they likely have moved beyond the "combination vs single unit" conversation. (As noted the referenced article directly preceding the poster you replied (and first post in last 6 months)). Sounded like they wanted a flatbed camper Class C. (Have seen in Europe and Oceania, but not in USA, unless custom fabricated.). They can also find their desired options displayed at annual AHTS events (antique semi trucks). Seemed poster wanted a single unit, not a combination.

I have seen way too many spousal wars in campgrounds, and replaced way too many utility pedestals to recommend Combination RVs, but they are fine for many. I herd double and triple semi trailers for last 50 yrs, and when called on now,. So I don't desire to herd a combination RV. My mom (a truck driver and fleet owner) decided the same after trying all options. A very good friend of mine has used combination RVs for FT since 1996, and love it and teach Escapee RV boot camp. He has gone through a lot of Pickups and trailers. No thanks, I would use a class 8 semi tractor with condo sleeper as a tow vehicle. (I like excellent Brakes and plenty of gears)

Old 12-31-2019, 04:01 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,476 times
The one issue I have found to be a damper on full time RVing is Maintenance.
It is part of the lifestyle. If you are not mechanically inclined, and willing to learn new things, and are afraid to ask for help when up against a hard problem, you will learn to hate it pretty fast, unless you are rolling in dough.

You need to be constantly looking for things to fix. A simple loose screw left unattended can soon become a lost window, or a broken cabinet, or a failed oven or heater, or leaking water pipe.

You need to know your vehicle inside and out, and be willing to learn a lot of new things. Or, again, have plenty of money to spend paying garages, and RV mechanics to fix your broken stuff. And even if you are filthy rich, you still need to be able to spot items that need attention, and get them tended to quickly. Waiting until they actually break is not really an option. Unless you really like being stuck in strange places waiting for a Mobile repair service to find you.

I have, fortunately taken to the lifestyle and become pretty good at spotting potential problems and figuring out how to resolve them before they actually happen.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:16 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why in the world can't they make a Class C with a DETACHABLE camper section (like an eighteen-wheeler with the cab and trailer separate)? Then you could park one and drive -- or repair the engine of -- the other without them being permanently and sometimes very inconveniently attached.
A truck camper?
https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-ca...droopmenutab00

Old 01-01-2020, 12:30 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Isn't that a small pickup and a small 5th wheel.
I'd want much less "tow vehicle" than a pickup as well as much less trailer than even a "small" 5th wheel. And a truck camper is TOO small, where as the truck is still too big. In other words, just separate a Class C into two parts so you have basically a Smart car and a small TT. Why is this hard? Very inconvenient to have your home permanently attached to your motor.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
I'd want much less "tow vehicle" than a pickup as well as much less trailer than even a "small" 5th wheel. And a truck camper is TOO small, where as the truck is still too big. In other words, just separate a Class C into two parts so you have basically a Smart car and a small TT. Why is this hard? Very inconvenient to have your home permanently attached to your motor.
I wonder why you are insisting on a matched set.

Buy a 13' Scamp or Casita and tow it with just about any Subaru. Problem solved.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:20 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
I wonder why you are insisting on a matched set. Buy a 13' Scamp or Casita and tow it with just about any Subaru. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing