Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 06:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

I've been told that buying a (very) old RV -- such as Class A, B, or C (with the motor and home combined) isn't the equivalent of buying a very old car and expecting it to perform reliably or for a long time to come, generally because the used RV -- and I'm thinking specifically of a C -- isn't used as much as a car and therefore generally has less mileage on the engine. True???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 07:35 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've been told that buying a (very) old RV -- such as Class A, B, or C (with the motor and home combined) isn't the equivalent of buying a very old car and expecting it to perform reliably or for a long time to come, generally because the used RV -- and I'm thinking specifically of a C -- isn't used as much as a car and therefore generally has less mileage on the engine. True???
Yes this is true.

Generally RVs are not the family vehicle and are used only for trips and thus less mileage. Like any vehicle having it sit unused carries the possibility of issues from lack of use.

Even full time RVers (like myself) generally have low mileage for the years because we are not moving constantly. The only RVs that generally accumulate a lot of miles are those used in the entertainment business.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:11 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
I'm not sure what the big fuss is about having to keep the refrigerator running on propane while under way.

We have a good-sized RV refrigerator in our fiver. We've been under way for ten hours at a time with the refrigerator cut off and haven't even had an ice cube do much more than "sweat"; the frozen stuff is still rock hard. Our normal rule is "out by nine, in by three" so we haven't had any problems at all.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:26 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Generally true.

My 2015 Class B has 49,000 miles on it only because I use it to go back and forth between our CA and AZ homes.

As far as “reliably” goes, keep in mind that while you’re talking about the truck portion of the RV now, features in the coach portion will need maintenance and repair eventually, sometimes replacement.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Generally true.

My 2015 Class B has 49,000 miles on it only because I use it to go back and forth between our CA and AZ homes.

As far as “reliably” goes, keep in mind that while you’re talking about the truck portion of the RV now, features in the coach portion will need maintenance and repair eventually, sometimes replacement.
Right; inconvenience in the coach section doesn't worry me as much as breaking down on the side of the road somewhere. I would never dream of buying a 20-year-old car and expecting it to serve me well, but people tell me it's not the same circumstance with an RV.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Find used Diesel!!! MH... (under 100k miles) Preferably stored indoors / under cover.

replace ALL the filters / fluids / belts / hoses, water pump

drive another 100k (replace filters annually)

I like these

https://www.rvt.com/Safari-Trek-2460...66382-UX102428
(not sure I could digest the GM diesel that came in 1995) I prefer a 'real' diesel (industrial quality)
I would NOT have a gas powered MH. (just because!!!! service life, economy, hassle, dangerous fuel, ethanol, vapor lock / altitude hassles...)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-19-2019 at 01:40 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 01:19 PM

768 posts, read 860,378 times
Listen Fluffy, you have no idea the grit I have. If you choose to RV your entire life, there is no judgment here. I, on the other hand, do not see the enchantment and that, dear "Fluffy", is my right.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:25 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I'm not sure what the big fuss is about having to keep the refrigerator running on propane while under way.

We have a good-sized RV refrigerator in our fiver. We've been under way for ten hours at a time with the refrigerator cut off and haven't even had an ice cube do much more than "sweat"; the frozen stuff is still rock hard. Our normal rule is "out by nine, in by three" so we haven't had any problems at all.
That's a lively argument that won't get settled anytime soon.

I'm glad to be free of it; our new RV has a residential fridge that runs on an inverter when not hooked up to shore power.

You're doing what works for you, so keep on doing it. Let others continue the argument...

Old 03-01-2019, 08:12 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
That's a lively argument that won't get settled anytime soon.

I'm glad to be free of it; our new RV has a residential fridge that runs on an inverter when not hooked up to shore power.

You're doing what works for you, so keep on doing it. Let others continue the argument...
They are great, aren’t they? What kind of RV did you get?

Old 03-01-2019, 03:38 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
They are great, aren’t they? What kind of RV did you get?
2018 Winnebago Forza. After a shakedown cruise to Alaska and back, we're still deciding if it really was an upgrade from our beloved 2004 Itasca Sunrise or not...

Pros:
19 cf residential refrigerator with ice maker
Washer and dryer
Catepiller diesel engine on a Fleetwood chassis
electric fireplace (kept us warm on the Alaska trip, never needed to use the propane furnace)
Drop down twin bed above cockpit for a visitor
Plenty of room for the litter box and kitty carriers
Rear cameras in both side mirrors

Cons:
Interior layout nowhere near as efficient as the Sunrise
Not enough windows
Still can't tow anything over 5,000 pounds, limiting toad choices
Love seat instead of sofa (and it's not near as comfortable as the Sunrise sofa was)
Can't access most of the pantry or under sink with slides in
No integrated GPS in the Sirius/XM/AM/FM/Bluetooth/rear camera viewer mess (long story, but I simply hate that thing)
Rear camera just looks at hitch, can't use as backup camera like we had on Sunrise. We are experts at him guiding me into wherever, though (I do all the driving).

Just got the Forza back after going in for several pages of warranty work (none on the diesel, chassis or Onan generator). We had one warranty item on the Sunrise. One. Very disappointed in the cheap plastic they used, where the Sunrise had metal items that never, ever failed. The plastics are known to be substandard, but they won't go back to what worked, forcing each owner to go find the good stuff and replace.

For the kind of bucks one spends on a diesel pusher, one would think build quality would be better. Sigh.

Well, the Forza's home now, so we'll test all those repairs with a couple trips this month. Have to get the kittens used to traveling in a great big cave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing