Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 01:06 PM

367 posts, read 421,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Watching that video, one of the things that struck me was how it can't be a back pack life.

When I was packing the Forester for holiday visits, the fold down back was filled with back packs. A pack of this, a pack of that, so if something came up, there were enough odds and ends that I could probably come up with an answer.

Looking at that video, while there was "room", I could see how one could quickly become lost in it.

Equally, I wonder if one could live with clothes in a hiker's mentality where things are just in this or that laundry bag and they are pulled out, wrinkle as they may be, when needed.

It's hard to comprehend why a person would have and trouble fitting their clothes (and life's belongings, for that matter) into a small RV and in a manner making everything super-easy to locate...unless they're a hoarder.
I have no problem keeping all my belongings down to the size of the car trunk.
The only exceptions are: 1) tools/equipment used to maintain house/land, but being on the road you don't need to drag it with you 2) exercise equipment -- you just use gym drop-ins on the road instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That is also the story of somewhat country living; as I have said in my case, it's 9.5 miles to the nearest gas station, the nearest place you can buy anything.
On the other hand, if the RV location is truly like that, then one should consider how much food they can store on board between grocery stores.
How about 50 miles? (the more miles to 'civilization' the better). About a week worth of food usually....does just fine, and without any refrigeration, even in warm weather. One can be just fine without grocery stores for a very long time, keeping dry/preserved types of food, it doesn't take much space. The fresh stuff can be gotten through foraging/fishing opportunities, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 02:45 PM

616 posts, read 341,612 times
Looking at a nice motorhome, but very surprised at the low quality of the locks. Has anyone ever had a break in?

Old 02-16-2019, 10:30 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Looking at a nice motorhome, but very surprised at the low quality of the locks. Has anyone ever had a break in?

No problems with my trailer. One thing I did right away was change out all the CH751 locks with barrel key locks. If you didn't already know, almost every single trailer and motorhome has a CH751 lock on all their storage doors. That means your CH751 key can open up virtually every storage compartment on virtually every trailer and motorhome in the US, and probably Canada. Google or YouTube "CH751" and you'll see what I'm talking about

Old 02-17-2019, 09:13 AM

thanks Alaska Eric …..did you have a locksmith change the locks?

Old 02-17-2019, 10:54 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
thanks Alaska Eric …..did you have a locksmith change the locks?

No, ordered them on line. The company has you print out a measurement guide for the latches. I then installed them myself. It was a pretty easy and straight-forward affair.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 AM

thanks again, AlaskaErik. I am usually pretty good about looking stuff up on the internet, for some reason didn't. Have found a number of companies and many UTube videos.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:34 AM

768 posts, read 859,911 times
Was very interested in having an RV at one time, but the more I was on Facebook sites....with all the repair, breaking down horror stories, but new and old, both expensive and not so expensive, and all the repair tools you had to bring along, I slowly lost my enthusiasm. And then when you look, say at your own yard. It is bigger than most RV sites and you are not jammed next to your neighbor with all their dogs, cats, noise, etc. I know you can find lovely spots with great views, but just as soon as you pull in, here would come the Katzenjammer family a bit too close. Never could understand why anyone wanted to spend all their time doing this. And, as has been said, you are selling an appreciating asset, your home, for a depreciating asset and depreciating at a rapid rate. If you hated it, you have much less cash to purchase another home. I get that people have become afraid of bedbugs, etc, but for crying out loud....you can stay someplace nice for $200 a night....not have to store it, not even have to clean it....leave and go on your adventure. From what I read, nice campsites are hovering at $100 or sometimes more. Then entire process, we have decided, thanks to many on sites who are unfaultingly honest, is that it isn't for me.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:15 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Was very interested in having an RV at one time, but the more I was on Facebook sites....with all the repair, breaking down horror stories, but new and old, both expensive and not so expensive, and all the repair tools you had to bring along, I slowly lost my enthusiasm. And then when you look, say at your own yard. It is bigger than most RV sites and you are not jammed next to your neighbor with all their dogs, cats, noise, etc. I know you can find lovely spots with great views, but just as soon as you pull in, here would come the Katzenjammer family a bit too close. Never could understand why anyone wanted to spend all their time doing this. And, as has been said, you are selling an appreciating asset, your home, for a depreciating asset and depreciating at a rapid rate. If you hated it, you have much less cash to purchase another home. I get that people have become afraid of bedbugs, etc, but for crying out loud....you can stay someplace nice for $200 a night....not have to store it, not even have to clean it....leave and go on your adventure. From what I read, nice campsites are hovering at $100 or sometimes more. Then entire process, we have decided, thanks to many on sites who are unfaultingly honest, is that it isn't for me.
I have had my RV for 8 years and I bought used and have very few issues with it. RVing isn't for everyone but horror stories are not the norm.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
If you can be scared off by horror stories, then you probably don’t have the grit to RV anyway.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you can be scared off by horror stories, then you probably don’t have the grit to RV anyway.
That is for sure!

Better start with a VW camper van, so you have some REAL horror stories! Such as burning to a crisp in the desert... (The camper Van AND your family / babies...) BTDT, as have several friends.

Mine had a fuel line burst above the engine. Not good. The kids were in car seats in the back (over the engine). They got hot bottoms real fast! Funny thing... though in diapers, they were not keen on road trips for about 30 yrs after that. Our friend's had their VW camper torch in a SNOWY parking lot (ski area) complete meltdown (made a big bare spot in parking lot) with a few charred remains. U-Haul trucks passing you in mtns like you are standing still.. (maybe we were!)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...idays-children
https://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/0...tories-part-1/
https://www.inspiredcamping.com/a-fr...camping-story/

Camping is all about the 'experience'. 5* resorts are pretty boring in comparison. What would you like from your travels? I vote Memories! I'm not spending this fortune to FORGET about my vacation I want something to REMEMBER!

BTW.. I have spent $38 for a camping site ONCE. That was absolute TOPS!!! (stuck in a city).

$38 about killed me... Since I have traveled for 28 yrs via 'Guest homes' ($25 worldwide), some are Fabulous!!! (just last week... a 5 bdrm in downtown San Diego - owners were gone for the week.). Many beach condos, mtn cabins, grand lodges on golf courses and ski slopes. (camping is usually FREE) Great memories of all trips!

Some of my best camping spots = WY community parks / fairgrounds! Usually Free to $10.

US Army Corp and Bureau of Reclamation Dams!!! excellent stays!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-19-2019 at 01:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing