Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 12:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

As our kids scatter across the country, we are considering become RV dwellers when we retire. I have been told a 5th wheel with a pick up truck is a much better option than an RV, because you do not lose both your home and your transportation when something breaks. Also it is better to have separate items like generators than built in ones. That way you can replace your generator or get it fixed, without losing your home. That all seems to make sense to me.

Our plan (or rather mine, wifey is still not 100% on board), it to buy some local acreage, put a storage building on it and utility hook ups. That way we have a base of operations so to speak. then we can go live in different areas near our children/grandchildren for a couple of months of the year (most likely following the sun) ad then return to home base when it is not prudent to stay near them or we just want time to ourselves. We can store seasonal clothing and toys or decorations and just stop in and change them out with the seasons.

The bigger problems I see is not having established relationships and known service providers. If you always move around, you do not have a consistent doctor, dentist, mechanic, church, grocery store, circle of friends, etc. Also you cannot grow anyhting in a garden or orchard.

At some point we will need to rent an RV or trailer and see what it is like (see the dark side). We do a lot of camping, but we use a tent and look down our noses at those city people who sit behind solid walls watching television and calling it camping.

To me, "camping" means you take two matches, a rope and a knife and go live in the woods for a week. To my wife it means spending the night in a hotel that does not offer room service. It seems like one of the TV watcher's tents might be a good compromise for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Oh showers. . . . I guess our storage building would have a super shower in it. We love our long high powered showers. At least once in a while.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
As our kids scatter across the country, we are considering become RV dwellers when we retire. I have been told a 5th wheel with a pick up truck is a much better option than an RV, because you do not lose both your home and your transportation when something breaks. Also it is better to have separate items like generators than built in ones. That way you can replace your generator or get it fixed, without losing your home. That all seems to make sense to me.

Our plan (or rather mine, wifey is still not 100% on board), it to buy some local acreage, put a storage building on it and utility hook ups. That way we have a base of operations so to speak. then we can go live in different areas near our children/grandchildren for a couple of months of the year (most likely following the sun) ...(option: Buy similar places near the kids, rent out the main house for 10% returns, and stay in the cabin / shop with apartment / RV spot. We do that in 3 locations across USA. ), We fly between places and keep CHEAP cars at each. Couple friends who do similar. Should work for us until age 75+, then we will keep the one place we most like and sell the others on RE contracts (income through end of life)

The bigger problems I see is not having established relationships and known service providers. If you always move around, you do not have a

Get a mail service (and a SD domicile!!!) one night per lifetime requirement for income tax free state.
Form a MT LLC to own your rigs (no sales tax state, no emissions / no inspections / lifetime RV tags)

consistent doctor, dentist, You are in USA... you may not even have medical coverage! https://patientsbeyondborders.com/me...atistics-facts
mechanic, Consider a 'users group' our RV group on Google has regional GTG (several across USA) with shops / lifts / spare parts / experienced helpers
church, We fly back to our home church every 3rd weekend for potluck Sunday. We keep rental props nearby for 'write-off' travel and 1/2 the food bill. We volunteer at soup kitchens at each destination (free food, great fellowship)
grocery store, We use farmers markets and co-ops, and frequent the produce dept in early AM for bruised fruits and veggies (usually free)
circle of friends, etc.
..garden or orchard. use 'Harvest hosts' (farm RV stays, or chum up to some farmers and go help at harvest time (We do that)) or Volunteer for Gleaners (in USA and Canada, plenty of fresh produce in those regions)https://www.okanagangleaners.com/

At some point we will need to rent an RV or trailer and see what it is like (see the dark side). We do a lot of camping, but we use a tent and look down our noses at those city people who sit behind solid walls watching television and calling it camping.

To me, "camping" means you take two matches, a rope and a knife and go live in the woods for a week. ....me too...DW likes ALL the frills of a full camper, but is fine with tenting / minivan (as we did for months in NZ and AU last yr)

Showers!!! Love our Motoraide HW heater from engine heat, propane, or electrical (plugged in) (I even outfitted our minivan and 50 mpg station wagons with Motoraide HW heaters (very nice 'outdoor' showers, whenever we feel like it (sometimes after a trek in the desert or in a humid location)

DW likes to camp more than I,
(I prefer motorcycle camping... (minimalist) Then-Came-Bronson style),
but tolerate both, she has her own 'woman's RV... it is VERY sweet (full sized 'pullout' shower) and gets 18 - 20 mpg (until I convert it to Diesel, then it will double economy and run on FREE fuel) I have a friend that has made (6) Diesel Eurovan camper conversions ~ $35k finished product. I should be able to do a transplant for under $6k... but the VR6 may last forever, so I will be buying gas (ick) for awhile.
Winnebago Rialta Motor Home

My mom switched between 5r, class A and a Roadtrek (Class B) ,,, she finally ended up with a Rialta and was REALLY pleased with the way it handled and met her 'retiree' needs.

5r is fine if you have destinations in mind, BUT they are a handful, and it is an EVENT every time you move (sometimes weekly).
If I ever have a 5r, I will use a Volvo Condo Sleeper Class 8 tractor (~$10k used) to pull it and have a 'smart car' (Canadian Diesel version = shorter)) riding on the tractor behind the sleeper (A friend does that) Class 8 is VERY safe, very comfortable to drive and gets same economy (but better ride) than a toter or $50k pickup, and has GREAT brakes! You do NOT even know the TT is behind you (power or brake issues). Air Brakes are GREAT!!!! So is the onboard Refrig / queen bed, microwave, TV, stereo (2 EZ steps behind the driver, who is enjoying the 'air-ride' seat!)

There are still some 'Thousand Trail type 'platinum' used memberships (second hand transferable) that allow 300 days / yr 'in-park'! These are rare and really worth it! ~$10k

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-21-2018 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 04:01 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
"5r"? Fifth-wheel???

Old 03-21-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"5r"? Fifth-wheel???
yup,
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/27437510.cfm

https://www.escapees.com/

Old 03-21-2018, 08:12 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

The bigger problems I see is not having established relationships and known service providers. If you always move around, you do not have a consistent doctor, dentist, mechanic, church, grocery store, circle of friends, etc. Also you cannot grow anyhting in a garden or orchard.

I have to disagree, I have been full timing for years and I have full timed in both a 5th wheel with a truck and in class A towing a vehicle (toad) and I would never go back to a 5th wheel because you only have one engine. If your truck breaks down its going to be towed to a regular dealer/repair shop. 99.9% of standard vehicle repair shops can not or do not offer RV parking/hook ups. So that means you are going to need another wrecker/truck to tow your 5th wheel to a campground which might be 5 miles or 50 miles away from the repair shop. So now you need to rent a vehicle just to get around while your truck is being repaired. Honestly if you are going to full time in a 5th wheel I would only use a class 8 truck everything else is just to small for everyday use IMO. But having a class 8 truck as your only means of transportation opens up another set of issues you have to deal with.

Generators are mounted in most 5th wheels and class A's. The only difference is in 5th wheels your genny is ran off of propane where on a class A it is ran off of gas if it's a gas rig or diesel if it's a diesel rig. As long as you do your yearly/hours maintenance on your genny it will run forever.

If you have a class A with a toad and your class A breaks down all you have to do is unhook your toad and you have transportation. Most class A motor homes will either go to an RV dealer if its gas or if it's a diesel rig to a Spartan or Freightliner repair shop which 99.9% of them do have full hook up sites where you can stay in your rig. And for some reason it does not you still have your toad that you can drive to a hotel etc.
Sure it cost a little more to maintain two engines but it's an insurance policy I feel is well worth it especially when you are on the side of the road needing help.

As far as having established relationships, most fulltimers use one of a handfull of states to obtain domicile. For example I use Florida as my domicile state (vehicle insurance, tags, drivers license, medical insurance, voting, mail forwarding, taxes etc) I spend most winters there. (Very RV and retirement friendly) I own a Rv lot in Florida. (Im here now) That gives me several months to visit my doctor, dentist, financial advisor, take my dog to the vet for his check up, have any needed service done to my rig, update/change any insurance policies, visit with family/friends. I usually even take the wife on a cruise or two etc. Once the weather breaks we will hit the road again and travel the country until next October/November when we will again be back here in Florida or at least some place warm (Arizona or south Texas)

There is a big difference between camping and living full time in your rv. Sure weekend warriors that go camping a few times a year love to sit outside around the fire enjoying the outside. (Been there, done that a thousand times) When you live in your rv it is your home. No difference then your stick and brick home you live in now. Do you sit outside every night at your home or are you in your den/man cave watching tv......just saying...

As I stated in a earlier post I strongly suggest you buy a RV and start making trips in it now to see if it's something both you and your wife wants to do. Waiting until you retire and quickly selling your home, getting rid of 75% of your belongings and buying a rig you know nothing about and hitting the road often time leads to a huge disaster because it quickly becomes something you don't like doing.

Last edited by rtandc; 03-21-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I have to disagree, I have been full timing for years and I have full timed in both a 5th wheel with a truck and in class A towing a vehicle (toad) and I would never go back to a 5th wheel because you only have one engine. ...
There is a big difference between camping and living full time in your rv. ...
As I stated in a earlier post I strongly suggest you buy a RV and start making trips in it now... Waiting until you retire and quickly selling your home, getting rid of 75% of your belongings and buying a rig you know nothing about and hitting the road often time leads to a huge disaster because it quickly becomes something you don't like doing.
Yup, listen well, and try on a few options ASAP.

One co-worker was a very seasoned 'camper' and did as above. (bought a large 5th wheel and new (expensive) tow vehicle JUST before retiring.)

Drama was about to unfold that made his first yr VERY miserable.
1) 5th Wheel was just TOO big for their style / preferred parks
2) Fuel for the tow rig (V-10 gasser) was $200+ / day while on the road
3) While 3500 / 1T rated, the LARGE 5th wheel KILLED the truck (frontal air / weight / braking / maneuvering)
4) Limited cargo space in tow vehicle seriously limited their cargo / chance to take side trips for a few days.
5) Park fees for HUGE trailers are HUGE.
6) Borrowed the funds to buy RV from 401k, not knowing that was going to be a $100k TAXABLE event (distribution) as soon as he quit work (+ penalties while he was unknowingly / not meeting obligations to IRS. (Also had a severance income and 20 weeks vacation and sick pay + bonuses and stock conversions, house sale, business sell, estate sale,(all taxable) ...(+ a VERY high tax yr (surprise!)))
  1. Interview lots of FT RV people (with your interests / spending habits)
  2. Research 'Escapees' / similar
  3. Go to RV Boot Camp
  4. Try out different rigs, in the type and location of parks you plan to visit.
  5. Make a plan.
  6. Stress test the plan (financial and effort / foreseen problems).
  7. Have a Plan B (and C).
  8. Take a calculated risk.
  9. Know when to pull the plug.
  10. Enjoy the journey

Enjoy your future beyond this chapter / journey.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:38 AM

"I own a Rv lot in Florida."

Tell me more about this, please! And do other states offer such options?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:20 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I own a Rv lot in Florida."

Tell me more about this, please! And do other states offer such options?
There are plenty of states that offer this and plenty of people that do it.

Many, many RVers own a lot in two (or more) states and travel between them. Generally southern for winter and nearly anywhere else for summer.

You can rent, buy, all types of variations with what is included etc.......

Join the irv2.com forum. There are sections there for every aspect of RVing including solo travelers.
iRV2 Forums

Old 03-22-2018, 09:23 AM

I don't mind buying -- anything -- but I have a real problem paying monthly fees for -- anything (RV park sites, HOA fees, rent, etc.). So I'm definitely interested in the "buying a lot" idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing