Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 06:51 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

I'd be interested in hearing more details; can you reveal (either here, publicly, or by PM)? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 02:40 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Hi Otterhere. Just to clarify for your research purposes, a Class B is the "van-type" RVs, typically 21-24 feet. My son is currently traveling the country in a Class B and having a blast. His has a stove, frig, hot water, bathroom, shower, 26" TV, DVD, heat and A/C. Try googling Winnebago Travato to see what they look like. They get around 18 mpg and can fit in a regular parking space so you can take it to shop or to the office you're visiting. They're a cinch to drive, it's just a big van with tons of mirrors and a backup camera. As for repairs, there will be nothing that requires physical strength, so rest assured. Other things will eventually break, but as someone said, there are manuals and you wouldn't believe how helpful the Facebook groups are when you have trouble. By the way, lots (most) of the people doing this seem to have dogs or cats with them. I've put a link below to a YouTube video of a woman who's been traveling alone in her Travato for the past few years. Maybe it will help in your research. Oh, by the way, since the advent of solar panels and lithium batteries, there are models which are all electric with no propane. Good Luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TGXpQ2Vasw&t=567s
Watching that video, one of the things that struck me was how it can't be a back pack life.

When I was packing the Forester for holiday visits, the fold down back was filled with back packs. A pack of this, a pack of that, so if something came up, there were enough odds and ends that I could probably come up with an answer.

Looking at that video, while there was "room", I could see how one could quickly become lost in it.

Equally, I wonder if one could live with clothes in a hiker's mentality where things are just in this or that laundry bag and they are pulled out, wrinkle as they may be, when needed.

One of my girl friend's is a Carnie and while she is like me and keeps a journal, the previous volumes are not with her. They are kept at her mother's house. As far as the book suggestion goes, I would go with the one box of them suggestion. It may not be that practical on room but it does, to me, have the romantic impact of distant and overseas stations where the arrival of a box of books was a most welcomed moment.

Finally, Mom never saw the idea for living in an RV or on a sail boat, about having a living space the size of one's living room. She figured if one was going to travel then one should spend the money and have a nice hotel room.

Okay, skip the reasons for why not to to do that and just face it that in order to live like that, one cannot be fearful of small spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Dark side for Millenials who watch glamorous videos and jump into the lifestyle. Most RV parks aren’t in urban areas and don’t have urban amenities. There is usually no Starbucks, Wholefoods, or nightclub within walking distance of the RV Park. In fact, the trendy “day out” might be driving 45 minutes to the closest Walmart.
That is also the story of somewhat country living; as I have said in my case, it's 9.5 miles to the nearest gas station, the nearest place you can buy anything.

I think I can handle that and it was sort of like my last year at my father's house after he retired. Occasionally, I would be given a shopping list, a check, and a car full of coolers to visit the commissary an hour away.

On the other hand, if the RV location is truly like that, then one should consider how much food they can store on board between grocery stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Oh showers. . . . I guess our storage building would have a super shower in it. We love our long high powered showers. At least once in a while.
Two things.

In the video above, perhaps I missed it, but did she have a shower or were things meant to be sponge baths?

Secondly, this last camping trip had hot outside showers (wore my swimsuit) which I much enjoyed after freezing dives, but with one hand holding down the handle, I much looked forward to my hands free, in the nude, shower at home.

One final dark side observation about RV'ing is where can you check your gun if you are packing? Some states are more lenient than others. On many of my trips, I'll have a -15 carbine in its 2 pieces and magazines as just another bag of equipment in "the lower holds" of the vehicle. It's all very convenient in Texas but like the Carnival owner said in the Tales From the Crypt "Dig that Cat....He's Real Gone"........."Doc! DOC! They got laws against this in some states!".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 04-18-2018 at 03:00 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 07:25 AM

Agree; I admit I fail to the see the appeal of RVing just for the sake of RVing -- driving aimlessly here and then there full-time as a lifestyle. For me, it would be strictly a means to an end - really more one to be endured rather than embraced.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Another downside to RVing. We are talking about one's house on wheels, of driving from place to place. Well, what happens if the law decides we can't drive anymore?

The loss of one's mobility, independence would be a serious blow but at least with a fixed house of sticks and bricks, one still would have a home in a place where they picked, liked.

Not necessarily so with an RV.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Another downside to RVing. We are talking about one's house on wheels, of driving from place to place. Well, what happens if the law decides we can't drive anymore?

The loss of one's mobility, independence would be a serious blow but at least with a fixed house of sticks and bricks, one still would have a home in a place where they picked, liked.

Not necessarily so with an RV.
Free boondocking sites are becoming more and more restrictive as more and more become "homeless on wheels" and abuse the privilege, and I can't say I blame them, and RV parks don't seem all that appealing, either. I'm afraid I see more downsides than upsides to this lifestyle.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:22 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Agree; I admit I fail to the see the appeal of RVing just for the sake of RVing -- driving aimlessly here and then there full-time as a lifestyle. For me, it would be strictly a means to an end - really more one to be endured rather than embraced.
It's not "aimlessly." There are destinations in mind, and the idea is to visit and experience those locations on your own schedule. I love going to a location, setting up camp, then setting out to visit the sights in the area. The RV is the home base that takes pets (unlike many hotels).

Old 04-19-2018, 08:31 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
Tamara-There is a shower in the video. About the 10:00 mark you can see the shower valve with the removable shower head hanging below it. This is typical in this type of RV.

OP-

The wife and I are full time in an RV. One thing we have learned is that it is not one size fits all and there are variations and opinions on things that span the spectrum. It is also not for everybody.

That said, your idea is absolutely doable but you have to accept the limitations of whatever you choose. For example you don't want to deal with propane. You mentioned a hotplate plus microwave plus toaster oven and packing a cooler between RV parks. You can certainly do this and it would work but think about it. You would need to get ice and load and unload the cooler-after the fridge has been plugged in and cooled down. You'll need a space heater. Then the additional problem of power outages. Remember you are living in the RV and not just camping.

Have you considered a truck slide in camper? I admit I have no experience with these but that may be an option.

There is a "reality" show called Going RV where a buyer will look at there different RVs then "pick" one. The outcome is already predetermined so take it as entertainment value only but they look at a variety of RVs. I watch it even though I am not looking just to get ideas and see what is out there.

It is on the GAC channel. https://www.greatamericancountry.com/shows/going-rv

Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I think I can manage decluttering, wardrobe simplification, and entertainment options. What I'm clueless about -- and afraid I can't learn even if I try -- are tow weights, sway bars, propane tanks, solar panels, stabilization, etc. For a woman alone with absolutely no technical or mechanical experience or aptitude, it's quite daunting! Anyone ever "fail" at it???
You can handle it. Men fail at it all the dang time! There is nothing about being a woman that makes it harder to learn to deal with an RV

Old 05-24-2018, 10:09 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,128,667 times
We full timed for 3 years, by choice and for the adventure. During out travels I would say people who full time fall into one of the following categories.

-Doing it purely for the adventure (typically stays at pricier places, has a nice rig, does excursions. They typically still have a residence somewhere. Wealthier Retiress, folks that have good remote jobs) These folks move once a week or more.

-Doing it for work. These families travel together because they want to be together as a family instead of the breadwinner of the family being away at least half the year. (most of these people have money and take their family out on excursions and see the sights. Most people I have met in this situation have a residence somewhere or are currently building something on a piece of land. Depends on their work) Could stay at a place for week or months, depending on the job.

-Saving money. These folks claim they are living in an RV to save money. These folks tend to stay at RV parks for at least a month at a time, usually longer and do few activities. A lot of these folks are work campers or unemployed. Many retirees fall into this category as well.

So when we started we were the purely adventure type. We kept our house and rented it out. We had planned on only doing it a year.

We moved every 3 - 5 days and woul dbe in a different state almost every week. It was awesome, saw amazing things and loved doing it.... great experiences and memories. We drove up to Alaska and spent our summers up there with family every year except this last one (decided to finally do the East Coast since you can't do that in winter) This helped with our cost of living because we could stay in family member's driveways when we weren't out camping at an Alaska State Park at $5 - $15 a night.

Driving up and down the Alcan usually from coast to coast each year started getting expensive and frankly exhausting after 2 years of hard travelling we slowed down a lot. Started spending 2 weeks to a month at one spot. It just started not being as fun. So we decided to hang it up. Sold our house that we had been renting and bought a new house in a different state based on all of our travels.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
According to a book I just read, there are a million people in the USA living in RVs. She did not say how many are nomadic as opposed to staying put in one location.

To us the appeal of the lifestyle is several fold.

1. Stay near the various children (an hopefully grandchildren) for months at a time rather than visiting for a week every other year.

2. Live in amazing waterfront and mountain view or forest locations and change them as desired.

3. Choose the weather you desire for the next month or months.

4. Eliminate most chore responsibilities. (Living in a condo would do that too).

5. Free up a lot of money to do things like buy a really awesome vintage car.

6. Sit out by a campfire any night or every night as you chose.

7. Reduced overall costs. No property taxes, no mortgage (or a bunch og $ int he bank if you had your house paid off)
8. Be a free spirit, whimsical, not tied down no real responsibilities. Live like you are 22 again. Make a fool of yourself. If you become a community Pariah just pack up and move in the morning.

9. Meet new people form very different walks of life constantly.

10. See what life is like in hundreds of very different places.

11. For us although small, most high end RVs are much nicer than our house it. (Nicer furniture, nicer appliances, even a nicer bed maybe).

12. You are forced into a more active life. Pushes you away form the rut of just sitting in the couch all day. Plus you have more opportunities to do active things and especially new things.

13. Forced reduction of clutter. the bane of my life is running around looking for things I cannot find all the time. I hate it and it makes me really angry, but yet, it happens all the time. In an RV, you should quickly find things because there are few places for them to be.

There is a shower in the video. RVs have showers, many are small, most have limited hot water available. In the book I read, the gal pointed out in buying an RV you need to test the shower. She and her husband did not and she hated the shower in their first RV. After the first shower, she never used it again. On the other hand, some have 42" by 36" showers with sunflower heads plus handhelds and, apparently with a thing called aquahot - unlimited hot water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing