Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 09:46 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I own a Rv lot in Florida."

Tell me more about this, please! And do other states offer such options?
It's just as it sounds. You can buy a RV lot. There are a bunch of resorts nationwide that are "owner lots" meaning that you buy the rv lot and it is yours to do as you wish to it as long as it meets the guidelines of the resort. Most owner resorts are set up like a condo association. Each lot is individually owned and then everything else is common property (pool, clubhouse, roadways, golf courses, restaurants, etc).

You buy a lot in the resort just as you would buy a house anywhere else. You have a phyical and legal address that you pay taxes, insurance, electric, cable, internet etc on it just like you do on any home/property. There are of course rules and bylaws just like you would have under any condo type property that you must follow and every resort has a monthly maintenance fee that must be paid which pays for all the common used things like landscaping, water, trash pick up, employees, roadways, etc. But again its your lot, you can stay on it as long as you want, come and go as you please etc and when you are not on it you can rent it out based again on the resorts rules as far as rentals. Every resort is different just like every stick and brick neighborhood is different. You have some resorts that offer not much more than just a place to park where others offer everything you can think of including 5 star treatment.

Just Google rv lots for sale and you will get a million hits. They are very popular in some states such as Florida (for tax and investment reasons) and prices can run from a few thousand dollars to a million dollars or more again depending again on what you want. I find its nice because my lot is there whenever I want it. It's a place I can go without having to make reservations or worry about when I have to move, how long can I stay etc. Which can be difficult during the winter months in a warm weather location.

Of course lot ownership is nice because it's very popular to "lot swap". An example is, I own my lot in Florida, another couple owns a lot in Colorado and they want to come to Florida for a few weeks this summer. I will be traveling and not on my lot at the time they want to come so I allow them to stay on my lot for a couple weeks. In return I get to stay on their lot in Colorado for a couple weeks at a later date that suits me. So that's a couple weeks they don't have to worry about paying campground fees while in Florida and in return now I have banked a couple of free weeks at a resort in Colorado and it didn't cost either of us a dime extra.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 09:48 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
If you're paying "lot fees" (like HOA fees), that doesn't sound much better than just paying the RV fee wherever you are.

What am I missing here? Sounds like the worst of both worlds (you're both buying AND renting, in essence)?

Old 03-22-2018, 10:11 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
If you're paying "lot fees" (like HOA fees), that doesn't sound much better than just paying the RV fee wherever you are.

What am I missing here? Sounds like the worst of both worlds (you're both buying AND renting, in essence)?
Think of it like you would a condo. You own a certain amount of space, but there is also a monthly "HOA" fee to pay for all the common areas and their upkeep. That fee depends on the level of amenities.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM

If it's comparable to the average RV park fee, I can't see the advantage in owning it? Just ties up your money and ties you to a location. Thanks, though.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
In 'owner lot parks', I have seen some very steep 'owner fees' (monthly) as well as 'occupancy fee' (daily fee while you are present). Similar to time share. (Rules and offerings vary).

There are some "resident owned parks" (ROC Co-op or LLC) that can be very efficient. You own a 'share' of the entire facility, but NOT your physical space (nearly impossible (and very expensive) to segregate / meter / serve / tax individual lots, and often not possible with county planning regulations). One (ROC) park nearby our TX location keeps 30 'LT rental RV spots' that cover the costs for ALL their park overhead (employee / pool maint / supplies). The equivalent lease rates at this park are 1/4 the local market rates, so... the properties sell for more and very quick / ownership is highly desired. Basically... lease rate includes / covers Property taxes, deferred maint, and insurance for the entire property / divided by # of owners.

Here is a REALLY upscale 'owner RV park' (with high end cottages (stone ~1000SF) and 50'+RV spaces / enclosed RV garages and 'traveler' sites in a segregated area)
This is the only online pic I can find of the 'restricted area' Buckhorn Lake Resort (Houses on lake with X-mas lights on the trees)

Site Map | Buckhorn Lake Resort
Colorful 'cottages' are for ST use / traveler lots (totally separate area than the 'village' of high end 'owner lots' with stone houses & garages & fountains / ponds / streams.

I just buy a VIEW acreage farm or 1-5 acre property with home / shop / rv hook-ups already in place and a separate entrance and discreet location for me. (out of view of main house). All are on water well / septic, so no ongoing expenses for me to cover (just keep some reserves...)... Rent out the main house (10 - 20% positive cash flow + an on-site watchman / caretaker) with explicit rules / expectation of my use and availability of my companion travelers (while I am on-site). I just pay a $40 'courtesy' on electrical bill when I am staying long term. Even have a community outdoor kitchen at one site (Adding bath / showers / laundry)
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...se-outdoor.jpg

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-22-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 11:08 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
Quote:

You are not missing anything. If you want to play you are going to pay. If you think rving is a way to save money you are going to be very disappointed because you are going to spend just as much rving as you do right now, often times you will spend even more. Rv'ing is a lifestyle, not a way to save money. Just because you change your living arrangements from a stick and brick home to a rv does not change the living status/style you are accustomed to. If that is what you are looking to do, don't even bother spending the money on a rv because you will not be happy.

Having your own RV lot is nothing more than a convenience. Again its a place you can go whenever you want. Making campground reservations can be challenging especially during the high season anywhere that's popular. And rving is becoming more and more popular both with weekend warriors and full timers. The more people camping the higher the nightly prices will go and the harder it will be finding open sites

Old 03-22-2018, 11:45 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Quote:
If it's comparable to the average RV park fee, I can't see the advantage in owning it? Just ties up your money and ties you to a location. Thanks, though.
Owning an RV lot means it cannot be sold without your permission. It also means property taxes-either individually or collectively as Stealth mentioned. It will mean HOA fees. I doubt you would find an RV lot to buy that had utility hookups but no HOA fees. If you did it would likely be in an undesirable location and/or against zoning.

Renting a lot means you can leave when your lease is up. It also means the park owner can sell the place and kick everyone out no matter how long you have lived there.

rtandc is correct about saving money. If you want to save money in an RV you have to change your lifestyle choices.

Every single day you will be paying for fuel or campground fees. Every single day. Unless you are staying somewhere for free that will be a constant.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:12 PM

I'd be up for buying a plot of land and running utilities (if not already in place) -- not necessarily in a "park" with other RVers --- but, alas, most municipalities don't allow that use of private property.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:41 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Given that RV sales are booming but construction of new national, state, local parks and private RV campgrounds is about zero, you might find that having a guaranteed place to go would be a good thing. Depending on cost and location, of course.

I like our state parks but they are crowded and to get in peak times you need to makes reservations months in advance. The idea of parking slide-to-slide in an RV park doesn't particularly appeal to me although I have done it, in transit.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 PM

I can see the advantage of always having a place to go; that's a valid point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing