Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

Not sure how full-time RVing "frees up a lot of money" when the cost is comparable to staying in a hotel room every night (versus a paid-off house). Boondocking isn't quite as simple as people make it out to be. There's the matter of legality, and then there are pesky details like water, sewer, electricity (for heat or air-conditioning, unless the weather happens to be always optimal), security, etc. I think a lot of people romanticize this lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not sure how full-time RVing "frees up a lot of money" when the cost is comparable to staying in a hotel room every night (versus a paid-off house). Boondocking isn't quite as simple as people make it out to be. There's the matter of legality, and then there are pesky details like water, sewer, electricity (for heat or air-conditioning, unless the weather happens to be always optimal), security, etc. I think a lot of people romanticize this lifestyle.
Our house will sell for somewhere around $600,00 - $700,000 (in today money) when we sell it. A really nice lightly used RV with equipment etcetera will cost $150,000 - $250,000. I do not see enough advantage of a $250,00 unit over a $150,000 until to spend the extra money but even if that changes, there is still a lot left over. Even with paying off a bit of the remaining mortgage, that will free up a lot of money. Hundreds of thousands. We will likely buy a very small home near one of our kids rent it to them or someone else and keep it as an escape option if we get tired or RV living. Even near us, there are nice small homes for $60,000 - $100,000. That still leaves a lot of money freed up.

Selling or donating 90 % of our stuff will also free up more money that is tied up in stuff. Not having to replace or maintain that stuff will also free up some.

Our property taxes are $7,000+ a year. That should pretty well cover site rental fees, especially if we do some month long stays and at least some boon-docking and moochdocking. Our current utility bills average about $600 a month (sometimes a lot less, sometime more, that is a ballpark average for gas, power and water). In an RV, utility costs are sometimes covered in the site fees or if not, they are substantially less.

Our tentative idea is to stay near each of our 5 kids for 1-2 months of the year (longer if they have a baby or something). travel for maybe 2 months of the year. I except at the beginning we will travel more and later we will stay more. If one of the kids rents the small house then we will build an RV pad there and when visiting them there will be no significant added cost (no site rental). We will have to find a place that allows people in an RV for months at a time. There are places. I also looked at possibly buying an RV site, especially one in a warm place so we are guaranteed a spot in the winter, but that looks like a bad idea, at least based on what I am seeing and reading right now.

Even if we call property insurance and maintenance costs equal (which is unlikely), we spend thousands a year and hundreds of hours of time for lawn and yard maintenance, improvements, and hiring out things that are too big for me to do. Cost for yard maintenance in an RV = $0.

Where do you ind hotel rooms for $30 - $50 a night? Those kind of hotels usually charge by the hour.

My understanding is boondocking requires an RV set up for it. Larger water and sewer tanks, solar panels and/or generator, and a shotgun for security (or a dog, or application of common sense). At least right now, it is specifically legal in many really terrific locations (as well as a lot of parking lots for various types of superstores). I do not see security as a big issue while living in a national park or at a winery property. Or out on someone's farm.

We are working out a budget based on available books, websites etcetera. It appears it works out to about 1/4 of our present costs. That also frees up some extra money compared to now, but what I was referring to was the proceeds from selling the house. Conservatively, we will have $100,000 or more with no need to re-invest it. We can have some fun with it, park some of it for emergencies, etc. I do not see how money is not getting freed up.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-24-2018 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-24-2018, 11:34 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:

Ehh..... it can be comparable, or it might be cheaper. It depends on the individual situation.

Using local pricing, a hotel with the amenities that our camper has would cost us $114/night. Campground rates with water, electric, sewer, cable tv, and wifi can be much cheaper.

Nightly: $37.50
Weekly: $203 (or $29 per night)
Monthly: $522.80 (or <$17 per night)

Then to add at a hotel you have to eat out constantly. For 2 people at $10 per person per meal (let's say breakfast is free) that would cost $40 per day or $280 per week. Cooking in the RV would likely come out much cheaper. However, there is RV maintenance and that does come at a cost. But for one who is handy the cost can be minimalized in many cases.

The lifestyle can work. It's not automatically going to be more expensive, nor cheaper. People have to look at their individual situation to determine the real cost for them. For someone who can "work from home" RV living can be a good decision. For others, maybe not so much. It really does depend on the individual situation.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Ehh..... it can be comparable, or it might be cheaper. It depends on the individual situation.

Using local pricing, a hotel with the amenities that our camper has would cost us $114/night. Campground rates with water, electric, sewer, cable tv, and wifi can be much cheaper.

Nightly: $37.50
Weekly: $203 (or $29 per night)
Monthly: $522.80 (or <$17 per night)

Then to add at a hotel you have to eat out constantly. For 2 people at $10 per person per meal (let's say breakfast is free) that would cost $40 per day or $280 per week. Cooking in the RV would likely come out much cheaper. However, there is RV maintenance and that does come at a cost. But for one who is handy the cost can be minimalized in many cases.

The lifestyle can work. It's not automatically going to be more expensive, nor cheaper. People have to look at their individual situation to determine the real cost for them. For someone who can "work from home" RV living can be a good decision. For others, maybe not so much. It really does depend on the individual situation.
To be equal, you have to hire someone to clean your RV each day.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:19 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,787,128 times
Quote:
I'll try and break down some of your concerns:

Frees up money-similar to Coldjensesns comment we sold our house and bought and RV with money left over. Is the lifestyle cheaper? For us, definitely. We have less money coming in (retired) and have less going out and have no debt. Like your hotel/home cost comparison it depends on individual choices and the basis for the comparisons. Living in an RV does not automatically equate to a cheaper lifestyle.

In our case we downsized or life considerably. Sold the house, two extra cars, old RV, furniture and nearly everything else. We only have a 5X7 storage unit. We no longer have any expenses associated with those things. We do have RV specific expenses we did not have before:

-Diesel fuel
-Full time RV insurance-this is different than regular RV insurance since full time includes liability like a house would have.
-RV registration fees
-RV maintenance costs
-Campground fees

Every day you are in your RV you are paying campground fees or fuel (unless boondocking/staying for free).

Boondocking-These choices span the spectrum from Walmart to very remote areas for long periods of time and everything in between. My boondocking experience is limited to WM and other large parking lots.

Legality-What?

Water, sewer, and electric-Unless you are in a cave you will need some form of these no matter what your living situation is. If you don't have shore power you'll need a source for heat/AC, usually propane or diesel for heat and a generator for AC.

Security-No different than any where else.

Romanticized lifestyle-I don't think it is any more than anything else. Ever see those Hawaii real estate shows?

Old 05-24-2018, 03:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I'll try and break down some of your concerns:

Frees up money-...For us, definitely. We have less money coming in (retired) and have less going out and have no debt. .. Living in an RV does not automatically equate to a cheaper lifestyle.

In our case we downsized our life considerably. ...
Good points; and you CAN mitigate these expenses:
We do have RV specific expenses we did not have before:

-Diesel fuel (Alternative fuels - Bio D can make for ~$1/ gal or Discarded Jet A and Home Heating oil can be supplemented with a lubricant and then substituted for Diesel Fuel (there are onluine directories for alternative fueling options) I also barter / trade skilled labor and goods / for fuel (usually farming or trucking related, as I keep my CDL 'triples and Haz Mat' up to date.
-Full time RV insurance-this is different than regular RV insurance since full time includes liability like a house would have. (Can shop around for rates and locations to greatly reduce this)
-RV registration fees (use your MT LLC for registration)
-RV maintenance costs (join some 'user-groups' and DIY. Our 'RV group meet for Maint / improvement weekend seminars / workshops a few times / locations / yr)

-Campground fees -Every day you are in your RV you are paying campground fees or fuel (unless boondocking/staying for free).(Camping / RV clubs... we have friends that bought USED TT 'platinum' membership (no longer offered so you must buy used) 360 days allowed per yr. Many varieties of clubs / memberships.

Boondocking-These choices span the spectrum from Walmart to very remote areas for long periods of time and everything in between. My boondocking experience is limited to WM and other large parking lots. (There are other options, most Boondock via BLM (remote lands), but there are some 'urban areas too. Many small towns in Central USA allow camping in city parks or fairgrounds. I while on the road, I use Cabelas, Cracker Barrel, Hospitals,
https://freecampsites.net/
https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/how-...ng-usa-canada/
Farm hosts

Legality-What?

Water, sewer, and electric- I frequent places / seasons that don't require heat or AC.. . I use showers at state campgrounds (during the day when I am passing through, not camping), often I stop at Hot Springs / community pools, sometimes a 'country stream' or lake / beach shower. National Park Lodges often offer $4 showers for hikers, truck stops in a pinch... but usually my 'outdoor shower (powered and warm with "heat exchanger' from engine heat), solar panels and heat work well

Romanticized lifestyle-I don't think it is any more than anything else. Ever see those Hawaii real estate shows?
Each of us have our particular 'tastes', I don't expect anyone to follow mine, but I like to learn of more and better ideas.

My BIG problem is finding a dependable GAS Ref. Mine is always giving my grief. Electric does not fit my style (98% boondock)

Old 05-24-2018, 05:56 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,787,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Good points; and you CAN mitigate these expenses:
We do have RV specific expenses we did not have before:

-Diesel fuel (Alternative fuels - Bio D can make for ~$1/ gal or Discarded Jet A and Home Heating oil can be supplemented with a lubricant and then substituted for Diesel Fuel (there are onluine directories for alternative fueling options) I also barter / trade skilled labor and goods / for fuel (usually farming or trucking related, as I keep my CDL 'triples and Haz Mat' up to date.
-Full time RV insurance-this is different than regular RV insurance since full time includes liability like a house would have. (Can shop around for rates and locations to greatly reduce this)
-RV registration fees (use your MT LLC for registration)
-RV maintenance costs (join some 'user-groups' and DIY. Our 'RV group meet for Maint / improvement weekend seminars / workshops a few times / locations / yr)

-Campground fees -Every day you are in your RV you are paying campground fees or fuel (unless boondocking/staying for free).(Camping / RV clubs... we have friends that bought USED TT 'platinum' membership (no longer offered so you must buy used) 360 days allowed per yr. Many varieties of clubs / memberships.

Boondocking-These choices span the spectrum from Walmart to very remote areas for long periods of time and everything in between. My boondocking experience is limited to WM and other large parking lots. (There are other options, most Boondock via BLM (remote lands), but there are some 'urban areas too. Many small towns in Central USA allow camping in city parks or fairgrounds. I while on the road, I use Cabelas, Cracker Barrel, Hospitals,
https://freecampsites.net/
https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/how-...ng-usa-canada/
Farm hosts

Legality-What?

Water, sewer, and electric- I frequent places / seasons that don't require heat or AC.. . I use showers at state campgrounds (during the day when I am passing through, not camping), often I stop at Hot Springs / community pools, sometimes a 'country stream' or lake / beach shower. National Park Lodges often offer $4 showers for hikers, truck stops in a pinch... but usually my 'outdoor shower (powered and warm with "heat exchanger' from engine heat), solar panels and heat work well

Each of us have our particular 'tastes', I don't expect anyone to follow mine, but I like to learn of more and better ideas.

Also good points.

It is not one size fits all.

...and you get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My BIG problem is finding a dependable GAS Ref. Mine is always giving my grief. Electric does not fit my style (98% boondock)
Have you looked into the stuff they sell in Amish communities? I was in a store in Northern Indiana and was amazed at the variety of gas appliances that are available. Way more than you would find in a conventional appliance store. Probably not RV specific but worth a look.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:47 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Boondocking isn't quite as simple as people make it out to be.

Quote:
There's the matter of legality, and then there are pesky details like water, sewer, electricity (for heat or air-conditioning, unless the weather happens to be always optimal), security, etc. I think a lot of people romanticize this lifestyle.

I guess nobody ever thinks of those things, right?

Legality? In the West there are big areas designated for dispersed camping, which is just boondocking by another name. It's free and you don't need a permit. In town I use 24 hour grocery stores, Walmart, street parking and I even stayed the night in hotel parking lots twice. My vehicle doesn't look like an RV.

Water? That's what the fresh water tank is for. I also carry drinking water in the refrigerator and a gallon jug of H2O in the bathroom.

Sewer? Black water tank. Dump when full. Same thing with the gray water tank.

Electricity? Oh, you got me there. I only have the vehicle engine, the coach batteries, an onboard generator that runs on propane and solar panels to use.

A/C? These vehicles have roof fans which use little electricity and keep the inside comfy up to the low 90s or so. Above that, fire up the generator and run the coach A/C.

Security? You don't leave valuables out where they can be seen. Tinted windows, day/night shades and fabric curtains help.

I have never paid to stay in an RV park and I can't see myself ever doing that. Too crowded.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
I just pulled a travel trailer from Arizona to Alaska. Five out of seven nights were spent boondocking. It's really quite simple. It would have been even simpler if the propane side of my water heater hadn't crapped out. Even if you go to a campground in Alaska, you're still more than likely to be boondocking, as most state and federal campgrounds have no hookups, especially outside of populated areas.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I suppose I'm at a disadvantage living (and wishing to remain) on the east coast; seems anything goes out west!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing