Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 01:46 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times

Advertisements

We own a lot in a park on the Pacific coast that only allows “motorcoaches”.
We look right out over the ocean when we are there. HOA fees are high but can be covered by the site being rented while we aren’t there. It’s always busy in the summer and fall so we bought to be assured of a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 01:49 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd be up for buying a plot of land and running utilities (if not already in place) -- not necessarily in a "park" with other RVers --- but, alas, most municipalities don't allow that use of private property.
I knew a couple who bought land, built a minimum-sized dwelling. The dwelling consisted of a large laundry room, large bathroom with tub and shower, a central open room with a small kitchen and a shop area. They also put in two complete sets of RV hookups and spent about half the year there with their large 5th wheel, with their various kids coming and going in their own RVs or sleeping in the little house.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-22-2018, 01:54 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I knew a couple who bought land, built a minimum-sized dwelling. The dwelling consisted of a large laundry room, large bathroom with tub and shower, a central open room with a small kitchen and a shop area. They also put in two complete sets of RV hookups and spent about half the year there with their large 5th wheel, with their various kids coming and going in their own RVs or sleeping in the little house.
Getting permission to do that is wholly dependent on city planning and zoning wherever you hope to do this. Most are pretty picky about what goes up/on it (especially near the beach). Why "Tiny House Nation" is running into so many problems.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
Getting permission to do that is wholly dependent on city planning and zoning wherever you hope to do this. Most are pretty picky about what goes up/on it (especially near the beach). Why "Tiny House Nation" is running into so many problems.
We were in "rural residential" in the county, the properties were minimum 2 acres. They were required to have well and septic plus a form of power (could have been solar and generator). The problem in that the well and septic around there were probably $30,000 to get permitted and installed. Plus lot grading, plus foundation, plus building costs. It probably would have been much cheaper to find an existing dwelling a couple steps up from condemned and build in the RV hookups to that.

I've looked for acreage property like that near the coast here and found things in the $50,000-$70,000 range
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 03-22-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 02:42 PM

"I've looked for acreage property like that near the coast here and found things in the $50,000-$70,000 range"...

That will allow full-time placement/occupancy of an RV or Tiny House? It IS more acceptable on the west coast...

Old 03-22-2018, 05:12 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,021,879 times
Very very few places that will allow you to buy a piece of land and live full time in a rv on it. The few places that do are so far out in the middle of no where, why even bother. You will find its much cheaper and easier just to put a prefab home on it which is built much better than most rvs anyway and will save you money on heating/cooling maintance, insurance etc plus a prefab home will be better built for severe weather outbreaks, better secure when you are away etc. I mean the rv lifestyle is a blast but there comes a point where you just gotta say, ok this is not rving, this is just living in a cheap shed.....

I mean if you want land yes there are "owner resorts" that offer lots in the acre or larger size lots. There is a high end resort in the NC mountains that have a few lots on multi acre lots but is all part of a larger resort that has standard size lots also....

Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
That sounds awesome.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Try the states / counties that are NOT so restrictive (if it is where you want to be.
  • My TX county (in scenic Hill Country) has ONLY Septic restrictions. NO BUILDING CODES / inspections / restrictions of living in RV
  • Many friends have relocated to MT for lessor building codes (and sales tax free / CHEAP registrations / no inspections / lifetime RV plates / no emissions...) (and no beach... but some NICE lakes and mtns!)
  • OR and WA and much of NoCA you can buy rural props near beach (non-HOA)
  • and put in septic, water, elect and a shop. (big enough to hide RV + an indoor laundry / kitchen / bath).
    this option is great to avail to your RV and traveling friends, or to sublease while you are away. I have some friends who each own RV lots in different regions and they 'share' / swap locations with others (Owners club / equity share).

Many options, many solutions.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:31 AM

East coast is where I want to be. It's a problem!

Old 03-25-2018, 05:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
East coast is where I want to be. It's a problem!
But a minor problem,

I have friends that do similar (own semi rural lots near (but usually no on) ocean) in:
NS
NB
ME
RI
MD
VA
NC
SC
GA
FL

Just got an email from a friend that bought 5 acres with 34x54 shop (w/ bath, shower, laundry, kitchen, community room) Have 3 RV hookups and awnings on each side of shop to cover up to (2) additional 54' RVs,

Not on east coast, but under $150k. (Wil be able to rent spaces for $300 - $400 / month (if necessary / desired) He will only be there a couple months / yr, so friends will get access all yr long.!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing