Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,887 times

Advertisements

One problem I'm seeing is that an awful lot of Class Bs use the Ram Promaster as the base vehicle and these vans get terrible reviews on Edmunds. Anyone with any experience owning one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
One problem I'm seeing is that an awful lot of Class Bs use the Ram Promaster as the base vehicle and these vans get terrible reviews on Edmunds. Anyone with any experience owning one?
They have a very ugly (problematic) heritage.
its roots go back to the Euro-market 1981-1993 Fiat Ducato van, which was jointly developed with PSA Peugeot Citroën. The Ducato was also sold as the Alfa Romeo AR6, Citroën C25, and Peugeot J5 (Talbot Express in the U.K.).
I would be far more comfortable (and have a LOT more CASH from initial lower cost and fewer repairs) in a used Chassis from an earlier version. Plenty of under 50k mile used Class B's.

If you must buy NEW, but something else! IMHO

Old 07-27-2018, 09:12 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,467 times
Quote:

If you can afford it, the one to get is one with the Mercedes Sprinter chassis with the turbo diesel.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
If you can afford it, the one to get is one with the Mercedes Sprinter chassis with the turbo diesel.
There was a "Gulfstream" 22HD conversion Sprinter that was really nice and practical.

You will recognize it from the (2) rear side windows were replaced with fiberglass 'out-stickers' so you could sleep cross-ways on a raised bed (lots of storage underneath) Seating for 4,

They were $58,000 new in 2005-2008.
I have seen a few used ones for under $40k

Old 07-28-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
They have a very ugly (problematic) heritage.
its roots go back to the Euro-market 1981-1993 Fiat Ducato van, which was jointly developed with PSA Peugeot Citroën. The Ducato was also sold as the Alfa Romeo AR6, Citroën C25, and Peugeot J5 (Talbot Express in the U.K.).
I would be far more comfortable (and have a LOT more CASH from initial lower cost and fewer repairs) in a used Chassis from an earlier version. Plenty of under 50k mile used Class B's.

If you must buy NEW, but something else! IMHO
I hope to get a low mileage used van; trouble is, a lot of them are the Promasters. I saw in the reviews that they were essentially Fiats. Good grief.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Yeah, those Sprinters are awful nice -- and around here, over $100K for a used one with less than 50,000 miles. Too pricey for me right now.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, those Sprinters are awful nice -- and around here, over $100K for a used one with less than 50,000 miles. Too pricey for me right now.
I see over 1/2 of them on RV trader are under $100k and a few really sweet ones for ~$60k, including a dually Airstream with <70k miles!

Sprinter RV: How to Buy a Used Sprinter RV

But... nothing wrong with cutting that cost in half and getting a Roadtrek (gasser - ICK)

Sprinters can also cost you a bundle in Maint!!! I was helping do some Bio-D conversions (Heated filtration and pressure guages / sensing) ) and Sprinters were very expensive to service / add replacement parts.

WoW... more bargains here! (I usually wait until Oct to shop, but some of these are very CHEAP!!!)
https://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Cla...type=Class%20B

Old 07-29-2018, 08:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
IMO B class are fine for weekend getaways but for a year? id look at the extra space a Class C will give you. As for the dog? they do pose problems as many places you cant bring them and in many instances you have to leave them in the camper while you go off on an adventure where no dogs are allowed.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I see over 1/2 of them on RV trader are under $100k and a few really sweet ones for ~$60k, including a dually Airstream with <70k miles!

Sprinter RV: How to Buy a Used Sprinter RV
I was looking at the rvtrader ads within 250 miles of my location in Northern CA; I've seen ads for cheaper ones, but they are too far away.

I've never owned a diesel vehicle -- I'm a bit worried about the maintenance issues.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
IMO B class are fine for weekend getaways but for a year? id look at the extra space a Class C will give you. As for the dog? they do pose problems as many places you cant bring them and in many instances you have to leave them in the camper while you go off on an adventure where no dogs are allowed.
I want something that I can park at the grocery store when I want to. The Class Cs are just too huge, especially for one person. I anticipate having an apartment to return to in between trips, so I won't be forced to stay in the RV if it gets oppressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing