Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:54 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, run the numbers... makes my $25k Class C (actually closer to a B... seem reasonable tho HUGE expense / luxury for me... I drive a $35 car)

My mom paid $11k for her Roadtrek (<30k miles). Used it for 10 yrs, sold it for $15k

Her Rialta bought for $13k, sold for $17k (after 7 yrs use)

Used C's are dirt cheap, and very functional. (but much too big for me... stealthcamping)
Very very rare to find deals like bolded above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 08:53 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not to overload you with data, OP, but while I'm thinking about it here's another thing to consider about the Class Bs.

All these vans come equipped with backup cameras but a backup camera doesn't show you everything; you need to use your mirrors, too.
Thanks Fluffy! This is one more reason to go to an RV expo or showroom and compare all the models & options.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:55 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
We have not yet had to have the Ram Promaster serviced, but I imagine it will be much easier than getting the Plateau (diesel) serviced.
Thank you Nelliebell! Maybe the newer Promasters will be more reliable!

Old 08-05-2018, 01:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Very very rare to find deals like bolded above.
I see over (20) such deals on RV sites at the moment (and it is mid season).

Admittedly I looked a few months to find mine (Rialta <30k miles under $25k) Found it on a Rialta tech site

As always.. the BEST deals are not listed 'For Sale', you need to dig them up yourself. My mom (and several others) got theirs at Estate Sales where few people are looking for a $10k - $20k item on wheels. She just happened by on the final day and snagged it. (very little use, factory plastic wrap still covering seat and carpets)

If you are the type of buyer that uses a dealer / buyer's agent / or enlist a realtor for buying houses... this is not the way you find pristine deals. You will have to pay the price of admission (commission). These people have to eat too, so expect to pay 20 - 50% premium to give them the latitude to eat.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:59 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I see over (20) such deals on RV sites at the moment (and it is mid season).

Admittedly I looked a few months to find mine (Rialta <30k miles under $25k) Found it on a Rialta tech site

As always.. the BEST deals are not listed 'For Sale', you need to dig them up yourself. My mom (and several others) got theirs at Estate Sales where few people are looking for a $10k - $20k item on wheels. She just happened by on the final day and snagged it. (very little use, factory plastic wrap still covering seat and carpets)

If you are the type of buyer that uses a dealer / buyer's agent / or enlist a realtor for buying houses... this is not the way you find pristine deals. You will have to pay the price of admission (commission). These people have to eat too, so expect to pay 20 - 50% premium to give them the latitude to eat.
Please share these deals as I am interested.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Please share these deals as I am interested.
Search a nationwide Craigslist (I use adhuntr) + RVtrader + local rags (Thrifty Nickel)

I find most in FL, AZ, CA (where retirees land and where they die) + I only buy "non-rust-belt' vehicles.

What precisely are you looking for?
What is your criteria? (high mileage and OLD doesn't not bother me) My daily driver is 42 yrs old. Never has darkened the door of a fix-it-shop. Never left me stranded (yet)

Old 08-08-2018, 12:24 PM

if you can wait awhile (2022) or are gonna take that long for a decision... hopefully there will be a new (repeat) entrant... Upsized version of a similar poptop 'California' (Not available in USA)
Grand California, which VW will debut at the 2018 Caravan Salon running in Düsseldorf, Germany from August 24 to September 2.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...hroom-bunk-bed

Too much 'plastic' for me, but should interest many takers

Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 PM

40 posts, read 85,100 times
I had owned a 2017 Winnebago Travato, a class B motorhome, for a little under 2 years and consider it to be the best class B around. It’s on a Promaster chassis which gets great mileage, low maintenance costs, easy to drive, and very comfortable. It’s 21’ long so you can park it anywhere. The K model has 2 twin beds, many USB ports, solar panel, generator, convection microwave, entertainment center, TV, Truma Combi heating and hot water system that’s phenomenal and the biggest bathroom that you’ll find in a B. My sister and I and our little Maltipoo Lucky travelled 35,000 miles and spent 100 + days a year in our Travato. We loved our Travato but found it too small for 2 adults to live comfortably for that many days so we sold it and traded it for a 26’ class C Winnebago Navion which we’re a lot more comfortable in.

I think that for one person a class B is good choice and you won’t be sorry with the Travato. Winnebago now is #1 in class B sales for the last few years because of it.

Last edited by ptbrwn; 08-10-2018 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrwn View Post
I had owned a 2017 Winnebago Travato, a class B motorhome, for a little under 2 years and consider it to be the best class B around. It’s on a Promaster chassis which gets great mileage, low maintenance costs, easy to drive, and very comfortable. It’s 21’ long so you can park it anywhere. The K model has 2 twin beds, many USB ports, solar panel, generator, convection microwave, entertainment center, TV, Truma Combi heating and hot water system that’s phenomenal and the biggest bathroom that you’ll find in a B. My sister and I and our little Maltipoo Lucky travelled 35,000 miles and spent 100 + days a year in our Travato. We loved our Travato but found it too small for 2 adults to live comfortably for that many days so we sold it and traded it for a 26’ class C Winnebago Navion which we’re a lot more comfortable in.

I think that for one person a class B is good choice and you won’t be sorry with the Travato. Winnebago now is #1 in class B sales for the last few years because of it.

I looked at a Class B bathroom a few weeks ago and it would make a submariner feel claustrophobic. I'm 6' 2" and broad shouldered and there is no way could I sit on that toilet without my shoulders being jambed against the walls on either side. I also could not stand upright in there, so taking a shower would have been very difficult.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:00 AM

40 posts, read 85,100 times
I can’t understand how people over 6’ tall are able to use a class B RV. I happen to know many that have them and it must be very uncomfortable to be in. I know that they hit their heads constantly which can’t be any fun. I also know many that have class B’s and have 2 adults and 2 large dogs! I could never live like that way but many do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing