Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 06:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

I buy far away... usually fly <$100 to the best deal I find (saving thousands), or have someone else inspect it, then have it shipped ($700 - $1200) or hire a driver. There should be some great deals in No CA area, just be ready to jump when they show up, as you will have plenty of others looking too. You might want to add Oregon, NV, AZ to your searching area (retirees liquidating RV's) and you can get there fast and cheap (<$80 by air, train, bus). I often use Adhuntr (nationwide Craigslist).

I only have (2) gas, ICK vehicles, farm kid, so I prefer Diesel (fresh filters every yr, no spark plugs, no ignition systems, and no emission systems (on my older ones). I get 50+ mpg on my station wagons and 1200 mile range between fill-ups. I will swap my Rialta to a diesel engine if the gas engine ever dies. Expect to double my 18 mpg to 35MPG (and I can brew my own fuel or use discarded heating oil or JetA.). I have never found Diesel engines to be more expensive to maintain than gas (over life of vehicle, but a LOT more reliable and powerful... An as a farm kid... I prefer the diesel smell) Got GASSED way too often by RV's as a bicycle rider in Colorado Mtns, that smell is BAD! (Toxic)

For a single person on moderate trips, the Class B may be fine (I prefer them it to a C, when traveling solo). My mom and spouse and in-laws much prefer their Class B's to a MH. And way prefer their Class B's to a Travel trailer. (They aren't living in Class B, just on trips up to 2 months or so). I keep a 'base' (rural shop with apt + RV connections) that I can keep my stuff, and have a nice simple place to return 'home' to. I have the main home on those locations (3) rented out, so someone is mowing the grass, picking up mail, feeding the pets and plants.

I stealth camp most the time, seldom in a campground.
https://www.freecampgrounds.com/
https://freecampsites.net/
https://www.campendium.com/free-camping

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-29-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 11:23 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Yeah, those Sprinters are awful nice -- and around here, over $100K for a used one with less than 50,000 miles. Too pricey for me right now.
I paid $104k for one NEW.

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/ss-agile/

I have the 2015 model. It's a camper van. I bought it in Manteca, though I'd never recommend the place. The van is fine, their service is non-existent.

One of the reasons I bought the van was so I could nap when I needed to. Hate to drive when I'm tired. I'm on an extended trip right now. Here's something you may need to consider if you're planning on living in the van: Air conditioning can be a real issue unless you're in a campground with full hookups. Those campground spaces tend to cost $50/night or more, if you can even get one. I have had no luck getting a space on this trip. The big Class As get there early.

Boondocking is possible when the temps aren't soaring, but again, it's July and they are.

My Roadtrek has a generator that can power the roof air conditioner but it's incredibly loud and located right underneath the sofa/bed.

So I'm staying in hotels when the temperature gets to where I can't sleep in the van. I pulled into this hotel last night and crashed for 11 hours. That's how exhausted I was from fighting the heat. I'm 64.

Boondocking in the late fall, winter and early spring is delightful. You run your propane heater if you need warmth and snuggle up with fluffy pillows and a plush blanket. If I had been smart I would have waited a couple of months and left in late September.

Maintenance on the MB diesel engine is by the book. It's all in the owner's manual. I've found mine to be largely trouble-free, it just needs a DEF refill now and again as well as the scheduled services. Oh, and I had to replace the blower motor a couple of months ago but that was free.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 07-30-2018 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 02:41 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

You are being redirected...

I have the 2015 model. It's a camper van. I bought it in Manteca, though I'd never recommend the place. The van is fine, their service is non-existent.

One of the reasons I bought the van was so I could nap when I needed to. Hate to drive when I'm tired. I'm on an extended trip right now. Here's something you may need to consider if you're planning on living in the van: Air conditioning can be a real issue unless you're in a campground with full hookups. Those campground spaces tend to cost $50/night or more, if you can even get one. I have had no luck getting a space on this trip. The big Class As get there early.

Boondocking is possible when the temps aren't soaring, but again, it's July and they are.

My Roadtrek has a generator that can power the roof air conditioner but it's incredibly loud and located right underneath the sofa/bed.

So I'm staying in hotels when the temperature gets to where I can't sleep in the van. I pulled into this hotel last night and crashed for 11 hours. That's how exhausted I was from fighting the heat. I'm 64.

Boondocking in the late fall, winter and early spring is delightful. You run your propane heater if you need warmth and snuggle up with fluffy pillows and a plush blanket. If I had been smart I would have waited a couple of months and left in late September.

Maintenance on the MB diesel engine is by the book. It's all in the owner's manual. I've found mine to be largely trouble-free, it just needs a DEF refill now and again as well as the scheduled services. Oh, and I had to replace the blower motor a couple of months ago but that was free.
Yikes, is it that hard to get a spot in a campground anymore?

Old 07-30-2018, 06:05 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I buy far away... usually fly <$100 to the best deal I find (saving thousands), or have someone else inspect it, then have it shipped
I'd worry about being at a psychological disadvantage going so far afield to buy -- as in "I've flown all this way to look at this darn thing and it turns out to be less than I really want, but heck, I'm here so I'll just buy it." You may be made of sterner stuff --.

My dad had a diesel Oldsmobile and it was always in the shop. I will grant that there have probably been technological improvements in the past 40 years!

Old 07-30-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

You are being redirected...
This page says $130K base price.

Quote:
I have the 2015 model. It's a camper van. I bought it in Manteca, though I'd never recommend the place.
So you paid $104K in 2015? It looks like prices have gone up 25 - 30% since then. $100K is what I'm seeing for low mileage used 2015 vans with some upgrades and options.

Quote:
One of the reasons I bought the van was so I could nap when I needed to. Hate to drive when I'm tired. I'm on an extended trip right now. Here's something you may need to consider if you're planning on living in the van: Air conditioning can be a real issue unless you're in a campground with full hookups. Those campground spaces tend to cost $50/night or more, if you can even get one. I have had no luck getting a space on this trip.

Now that is a very good point. It's one of the pluses of having a RV for me as well -- the ability to just pull off the road and nap if I get tired. But I don't do well at all in the heat and a noisy generator is a big turnoff. Some of the vans I've seen have optional solar & lithium battery backup systems installed.

Quote:
I think I'm going to try to avoid the summertime. Maybe the campgrounds will be less full in the off seasons too?

Quote:
That is very reassuring! Thank you!

Old 07-30-2018, 06:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
I'd worry about being at a psychological disadvantage going so far afield to buy -- as in "I've flown all this way to look at this darn thing and it turns out to be less than I really want, but heck, I'm here so I'll just buy it." You may be made of sterner stuff --.

My dad had a diesel Oldsmobile and it was always in the shop. I will grant that there have probably been technological improvements in the past 40 years!
Yeah, you need to 1st be VERY detailed in phone / video reviews and ask the ALL important questions.. Pets / smoking / cooking bacon... shower use, needed repairs, updates...

and.. when you show up... able to walk away if necessary. I have bought ~ 10 online, and have only made (1) trip where I backed out (was falsely advertised). I made it a great trip an had a good time anyway.

diesel Oldsmobile be advised... GM has done more to ruin the perception / benefit of Diesel in USA than ANY manufacturer. These diesel Oldsmobile were 'converted gas' engines (which is the 3rd time GM failed in that attempt).

get a REAL diesel and you will have REAL benefit! (2x the economy and service life and 1/2 the maint costs)

Some will never be comfortable with diesel. They should not bother trying. (i.e. if the smell bothers you, DON'T buy one!). If you LOVE the smell and clatter, you will be a happy camper! Reminds me of firing up the tractor 4:30 AM at Dairy Farm Boarding School. Music to my ears, and the sweet smell of unburnt diesel fuel on a -20F morning gets me going. (I don't do coffee, just diesel smoke!)

Old 07-31-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yeah, you need to 1st be VERY detailed in phone / video reviews and ask the ALL important questions.. Pets / smoking / cooking bacon... shower use, needed repairs, updates...

and.. when you show up... able to walk away if necessary. I have bought ~ 10 online, and have only made (1) trip where I backed out (was falsely advertised). I made it a great trip an had a good time anyway.

diesel Oldsmobile be advised... GM has done more to ruin the perception / benefit of Diesel in USA than ANY manufacturer. These diesel Oldsmobile were 'converted gas' engines (which is the 3rd time GM failed in that attempt).

get a REAL diesel and you will have REAL benefit! (2x the economy and service life and 1/2 the maint costs)

Some will never be comfortable with diesel. They should not bother trying. (i.e. if the smell bothers you, DON'T buy one!). If you LOVE the smell and clatter, you will be a happy camper! Reminds me of firing up the tractor 4:30 AM at Dairy Farm Boarding School. Music to my ears, and the sweet smell of unburnt diesel fuel on a -20F morning gets me going. (I don't do coffee, just diesel smoke!)
Thanks anyway, Mr. Stealth, but I don't love the smell of napalm -- er, diesel -- in the morning! I'll stick with coffee (another reason to have an RV: brew my own cups of great coffee and not have to pay Starbucks. That means that it would only take about 50 years to pay off the darn thing, of course. )

Old 07-31-2018, 08:59 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
The markup on new motorized RVs is between 30 - 50%. The higher the price the larger the markup. Additionally, multi-line RV's cost less to build over single line RVs. When buying a new motorized RV, you start the negotiation offering half the price off the sticker.

My RV has a $85,000 price tag yet I purchase it for $50,000 (tax included) off the lot. So, use the price the manufacture states more as a guide, not at what anyone actually would ever pay for it.

Quote:
I want something that I can park at the grocery store when I want to. The Class Cs are just too huge, especially for one person. I anticipate having an apartment to return to in between trips, so I won't be forced to stay in the RV if it gets oppressive.
I think you need to do a bit more show shopping.

Class B's and Class C's can mimic each other. There are several manufactures who make Class B and C versions of the exact same unit. It may help if you focus on what you need and select the vehicle that matches versus selecting a vehicle and hoping it meets your needs. I highly recommend that the next RV show (open or dealer initiated) that is anywhere near you is on you must visit list. Pay attention to actual living in each vehicle.

Don't feel pressure to buy right this second because you have the urge to hit the road. The time you spend shopping for your needs based on your lifestyle and fitting what you desire, will save you from getting turned off of RVing just because you initially bought the wrong vehicle.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Yikes, is it that hard to get a spot in a campground anymore?

It can be difficult in summer.

I've been traveling I40 for a week, taking my time, so pretty much all the campgrounds are in places like Williams (Gateway to the Grand Canyon!), Flagstaff (Gateway to the Grand Canyon!), etc. I didn't even try the national parks because I know that's hopeless.

Most campgrounds I've been to have limited numbers of full hook-up spaces. I was surprised by this. It seems like a poor business decision, since even my little Class B needs electric, water and sewer. And the big Class As don't always leave after one night -- a lot of them are retired people who don't have limited vacation time.

I definitely picked a bad time of year.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I don't think anyone pays that. Dealers expect you to dicker. Plus there are extras you're going to want, like the solar panels to charge the coach batteries on sunny days. That's a help when you're boondocking and don't want to run the generator.

Quote:
So you paid $104K in 2015? It looks like prices have gone up 25 - 30% since then. $100K is what I'm seeing for low mileage used 2015 vans with some upgrades and options.
I kind of got a deal. I saw it online and Manteca was only about 70 miles away. The van had been sitting on their lot for 10 months.

Quote:
Now that is a very good point. It's one of the pluses of having a RV for me as well -- the ability to just pull off the road and nap if I get tired. But I don't do well at all in the heat and a noisy generator is a big turnoff. Some of the vans I've seen have optional solar & lithium battery backup systems installed.

The coach A/C in my van is an enormous power suck. You can't run it off the coach batteries or the solar panels. It needs either shore power (an electrical hookup in an RV park or at home) or generator power.

The hardest thing for me was trying to figure out how to power various features of the van. If the coach batts are fully charged, I can run the microwave for up to five minutes. But in reality what I usually do is turn on the engine, then run the microwave. I'm still using coach battery power but not as much.

Fortunately my husband is an electrical genius and explained everything I did wrong once it happened. So helpful that way.

I think my favorite feature in the van is the bathroom. It's private, it's all mine and I don't have to go into Starbucks or McDonalds to use their loo, which may or may not be clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing