Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,887 times

Advertisements

I've been feeling stuck in a rut lately, and am considering buying a Class B RV and taking a leisurely tour across the US and then back through Canada. I've owned a Ford E250 van & drove it with no problem, so a small Class B outfitted with a microwave, shower and toilet seems very manageable and attractive. I'm a 60-something female and somewhat concerned about security; hoping my ferocious-sounding pitbull lookalike and a LARGE can of bear spray will be sufficient.

I'd like to hear from C-Ders who've owned Class B RVs. Are there brands/models you love or, conversely, would never drive again? I'm hoping to get a used later model (2016 -2018) with low mileage, and there seem to be a lot of them out there with less than 10,000 miles for less than $75K. Maybe renting one for a week or two first is a good idea? Are there any safety features or amenities that you've found desirable or essential?

Pros? Cons? Advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:50 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
I own a Gulfstream BT Cruiser 5210 with dinette and fully loaded, that I bought at the start of the year. Haven't used it for long distance, more like weekend trips. My decision was based on three important items. First I HATE wet baths, so if I can poop and shower at the same time, forget it! Second I wanted something small yet fully equip, that can drive more like a large delivery van versus some bus, moving truck or bloated passenger van. Lastly I wanted something that had the features I liked and needed versus an overly decorated cookie cutter RV. For me I was able to check everything on my must have list, almost all of my would like list and a good amount of my nice but no deal breaker list.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Second I wanted something small yet fully equip, that can drive more like a large delivery van versus some bus, moving truck or bloated passenger van.
Yes! You've put it more succinctly than I did. I don't want to be driving a monster -- a lot of the used vans I see on line don't even have power steering or cruise control. I want all the bells & whistles: back up camera, lane warnings, air bags all over, OnStar -- the works. I don't want driving it to be a chore.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Tho I planned to buy a Sprinter (22mpg)... I ended up with a Used Rialta (18 - 20 mpg)
Winnebago Rialta Motor Home
Several videos on youtube...

stopped making them in 2005, but You can find them under 50k miles for under $20k

I like the Motoraide HW heater with outdoor (and indoor) shower,
The HUGE rear window is GREAT for backing up to the coast and enjoying the view (winter or summer).

EZ to stealthcamp.

My mom used / enjoyed her Roadtrek a lot more than her Motorhome and 5r. .. then she bought a Rialta...

Either is a great choice! (and very ez to resell)

Old 07-24-2018, 05:35 AM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
I've been feeling stuck in a rut lately, and am considering
...taking a leisurely tour across the US and then back through Canada.
1) How long is a leisurely tour?
2) When you get back to CA... continue to use it or sell it?
and most critically....
3) When in the US do you plan to spend your time in cities and towns or out in the woods?

Quote:
Advice?
I lean toward finding other ways to have a bed and bath during a trip
and probably using a vehicle you already own.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) How long is a leisurely tour?
2) When you get back to CA... continue to use it or sell it?
and most critically....
3) When in the US do you plan to spend your time in cities and towns or out in the woods?

I lean toward finding other ways to have a bed and bath during a trip
and probably using a vehicle you already own.
Yes, doing some number crunching seems to say that I could get a pretty decent motel room for the 6 months - 1 year I would be on the road in an RV. That said, I'd have to do something about the dog and my present vehicle wouldn't be nearly as nice to drive. Leasing might be a rational possibility.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 AM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
...I could get a pretty decent motel room for the 6 months - 1 year I would be on the road in an RV.
Who said motel?

Quote:
That said, I'd have to do something about the dog...
This and the larger where to stay question are more about WHERE you want to visit;
and how long you want to be there (eg: Sacramento vs Yosemite)

Literally zipping through towns for no more than a night or so... the RV makes more sense.
Planning to actually see and experience the various places for a week or three? rent something there.

In Sac (or any other actual town) there will be VRBO, furnished sublets, etc.
In the woods there are cabins to rent.

Quote:
...and my present vehicle wouldn't be nearly as nice to drive.
If inclined/able to spend some $$ maybe it's time to replace it?

Whatever it is you decide on... have fun.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:26 AM

While I agree your existing vehicle may be cheaper / simpler...

Road tripping in a camper van gives you a LOT of latitude;
1) stay a few days on a delightful place you discover,
2) leave a campsite at 3 AM if you need to for any reason
3) have a snack / nap / tea / cold drink / shower / toilet break at any moment you desire.
4) room for a friend (on occasion) I take 'senior-shut-in's' on camping trips... I stay in a tent and let them have my van / camper.
5) Flexible options during inclement weather
6) access to places that are very difficult to afford / book (national parks / remote sites / boonies (no hotels near many national parks / monuments) many just too limited for lodging). I have stayed in my camper van many nights in NP Lodge parking lots (free). Never been hassled (campgrounds are booked / crowded / confining / noisy) I show up past dark and leave by dawn (find a nice place by a stream / great view to fix breakfast).

While my personal vehicle is VERY cheap to operate ... (52 miles / gallon / and 1250 mile per fuel stop / free fuel (waste cooking oil) and I stay 'local' (guest homes = free to $20 / night worldwide)... and I eat via grocery stores / farm stands (<$10 / day)... I really like to road trip in my campervan. (As I have for 40 yrs). Prior to that is was almost always motorcycle and bedroll (i.e. simple).

Many options, do what suits you.

I have many friends who have MIL apartments / missionary qtrs / guest houses that they let people stay for a few months (usually for free). So if you want to find a HUB and travel from there... network with seniors and church groups.

Really depends on you and your travel tastes / locations.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:46 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,467 times
My wife and I were really against a web bath, but when you think about it, even though we now have a camper with a dry bath, most (almost all) of our shower time is spend in the campground's shower house. The shower house provides almost unlimited hot water versus our 6 gal. water heater, and much more space to stretch out while taking a shower. About the only time we use our camper shower is when the campground shower doesn't have a securable door.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:33 PM

showers.... In 10 yrs I have NEVER showered inside my 'mini' RV (with a huge shower stall), but frequently enjoy a quick outdoor shower on hot days and after hikes.

I seldom stay in a campground (~10% of my time in RV)

I most often use Community pools / health clubs / fairgrounds, 'off shift' state / federal campgrounds (during the day when passing by, not camping),
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing