Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I do wonder if Quebeckers will still "swear an oath to the British queen" if they become independent.
More likely an oath to Rene Levesque or some other figure prominent in their path to the all French promised land..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
"You've got to hand it to them, they're courageous, those guys."
-Rene Levesque on the FLQ

I would hope that no one in their right mind would swear an oath to him.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:30 PM

How about Mr Vive le Québec libre himself Chuck de Gaulle?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How about Mr Vive le Québec libre himself Chuck de Gaulle?
Yeah; the martinette faux leader who ran from France then got handed back his legitimacy to lead his countrymen by the allies, among which Canada played a part. He subsequently thanked them with that opportunistic 'glove slap' to the face from a balcony in Canada while a guest of the Fed. government.

Just another example of that "French uniqueness" the rest of the world knows as unbridled arrogance.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenika View Post
Is there any chance Quebec will ever become independent? I really hope not. It is very scary if it does, and it would suck for both then in terms of everything. I strongly support Quebec's language law and culture, but they should remain part of Canada.
They might whine a lot, but it'll never happen. They're too dependent on the taxes paid by other provinces...sure, they wanna separate, but NOT from the rest of Canada's money, and you can't have it both ways.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:21 PM
pdw

I don't think it's accurate to say "Quebec wants to separate". It has been proven twice that Quebec doesn't want to separate.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
The last referendum occurred with a different generation. The new younger generation here will have no interest in separating except for the occasional hippie wearing a mask in Montreal who doesn't even make it to the poll booth.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 PM

408 posts, read 607,241 times
Highly unlikely in our lifetime. That ship has sailed imo.

I have a number of friends who are rather hardcore ''separatists'', a trait most frequently inherited from parents (as most political convictions are) and even they are less and less keen on discussing an independent Quebec. They know now is not the time, and they are aware that the majority of the population is against it. They respect the status quo.

While the PQ's election last hear had some people bracing for another referendum cycle, what I've seen since then is pretty startling: literally NO talk of referendum, and tbh much less Canada-bashing than I had expected coming from this government. Also interesting has been the unapologetic backlash of moderate voters (of all creeds and convictions) whenever this government has ''gone too far'' with regards to various sovereignty-related issues i.e. language laws, election laws.

The average Quebecker has simply lost interest in this debate. We're doing alright economically and we have families to tend to. Even having the least charming, least likeable, conservative prime minister in modern Canadian history reign over us for close to a decade. has done little to bolster the independence movement.

What's more, our prime minister (whom I cannot stand) actually seems to be playing nice with her other provincial counterparts.

I've never in my life been this confident about the prospect of Quebec staying a part of Canada. I'm even more convinced since the election of a pro-sovereignty party. They're absolutely harmless at this point.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
I've never in my life been this confident about the prospect of Quebec staying a part of Canada. I'm even more convinced since the election of a pro-sovereignty party. They're absolutely harmless at this point.
They begrudgingly continue to be part of Canada solely for the economic benefits they derive from the Canada/ Quebec union, i'm certainly not seeing any shift from Francophones to becoming proud Canadians, most Francophones particularly the separatist element view Anglos and Canada as oppressors,overlords a very large threat to their culture,something to be legislated out of existence in Quebec, in short a linguistic (Anglo)demographic to be hated.., basically they want their cake and eat it too, a situation they are very close to accomplishing.
While for now they dont have the power to separate i dont share your confidence that it cant happen somewhere up the road, lets face it the voting majority just re installed a party dedicated to the separation of Quebec from Canada.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM
pdw

A lot of CAQ and even QS voters were federalist anglophones and allophones who bought into the hype of the Liberals being corrupt (Also the CAQ started downplaying their separatist ambitions towards the election). I personally don't believe that the majority of voters in Quebec are separatists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada