Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
Take a joke but seriously how would you access the Atlantic Provinces without flying over either American or Quebecois Airspace (considering they did actually secede)?
Canadian airlines on domestic runs already overfly US territory. For example, flights from Toronto to western Canadian destinations typically overfly Wisconsin and Minnesota. In addition, as far as I know, flights from Toronto and Montreal to Halifax overfly Maine. The United States knows this; it knows the Canadian airline schedules and flight paths. And it works both ways: domestic US flights between (say) Chicago or Detroit and New York City will, out of necessity, overfly Canada. Canada knows this too.

As there is no problem with these flights, I see no reason why there should be a problem flying to the Atlantic Provinces over the US or Quebec, should Quebec secede.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 04:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Take a joke but seriously how would you access the Atlantic Provinces without flying over either American or Quebecois Airspace (considering they did actually secede)?
If Quebec separated from Canada it would still be heavily dependent on trade,commerce and tourism with the rest of Canada and the USA, to ban overflights of its territory would be like committing economic suicide.And if it did shoot down a passenger plane to prove a point Quebec would be held in the lowest regard by the global community and treated like a rogue pariah of a country on par with N.Korea.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-02-2013 at 04:40 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM

77 posts, read 284,561 times
Quote:
I think many people are visioning (if it ever happens) sort of like an EU model for that case, which means basically open border, visa-free. Then it shouldn't be much of a problem in terms of crossing. But of course there will be other problems such as cultural segregation etc.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
But of course there will be other problems such as cultural segregation
I'm not sure thats going to be much of a problem for Quebecs Francophone as it seems they welcome the prospect of being segregated from the rest of Canada, its the whole reason for the separation in the first place.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:03 AM

77 posts, read 284,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm not sure thats going to be much of a problem for Quebecs Francophone as it seems they welcome the prospect of being segregated from the rest of Canada, its the whole reason for the separation in the first place.
Sorry I meant between Atlantic Canada and the western part of English Canada.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,864 times
I don't like the terms "French Canada" and "English Canada", because it implies that Quebec is not English, and the rest of Canada is not French. Both communities have long had a presence all over the country.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:52 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,060 times
Just a comment on this interesting issue...

I just came back from a visit to Quebec City. From my perspective day-to-day you'd never think a 'separatist' issue existed. Perhaps it's very latent or I didn't 'walk' in the areas where this is prominent??? This was in contrast to being in Quebec around '75 where the language issue was in one's face. From experience at the time, speaking Anglais gave you no points with the locals....;-)... Today it seems a much different story with Anglais. I always asked do you speak English? and most of the time the response was 'Oui'.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:33 AM

171 posts, read 273,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Uuuuh, sorry to disagree with this but, since the inception and through subsequent changes to the equalization formulae; Quebec has been a net recipient of tax money paid back to it.

Quebec proves that not all is equal in Canada's equalization payment program | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Graphic: The inequality of equalization payments | National Post

Equalization payments in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There's an argument here that Alberta is pumping out so much oil and strengthening the Canadian dollar, that other provinces can't have anything but inefficient economies.

Last edited by qwertyjjj; 08-17-2013 at 03:34 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Just a comment on this interesting issue...

I just came back from a visit to Quebec City. From my perspective day-to-day you'd never think a 'separatist' issue existed. Perhaps it's very latent or I didn't 'walk' in the areas where this is prominent??? This was in contrast to being in Quebec around '75 where the language issue was in one's face. From experience at the time, speaking Anglais gave you no points with the locals....;-)... Today it seems a much different story with Anglais. I always asked do you speak English? and most of the time the response was 'Oui'.
The issue of Quebec separation isnt something a visitor would perceive on a short visit to Quebec as people dont talk about it 24/7,
but its definitely an issue thats always on the back burner and always to date an unattainable dream for Francophones to separate from Canada the country they dislike/despise and arent proud to be apart of.
If Quebec separation were to occur trust me when i say they'll be dancing in the streets as they will now be free..... to plunge headlong into their linguistic oblivion.The ROC in this day and age will probably exhibit an attitude of good riddance eh!

Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
There's an argument here that Alberta is pumping out so much oil and strengthening the Canadian dollar, that other provinces can't have anything but inefficient economies.
If that's the case (and I don't believe it is), it isn't going to last. I believe Alberta just had a $2.8 billion deficit last year (so much for bitumen making the province rich). In 2012, Alberta received a total of $4.5 billion in royalties from the tar sands. Taken in perspective, that really isn't all that much money. Especially when one considers the tremendous damage being done to the Boreal Forest and the planet because of oil sands exploration. Compared to having clean air and water, $4.5 billion is a drop in the bucket. It certainly wasn't enough to make up for Alberta's 2012 shortfall. Alberta and Canada are willing to sell their wilderness and even their sovereignty for oil profits. Harper can't go west or south with his pipeline, so now he wants to build one from Alberta to New Brunswick. Well, it ain't gonna happen. We don't want that dirty crud running through our provinces because it just isn't worth it! If Alberta thinks the trade off is a good one, that's their problem. But the RoC isn't going to help facilitate bringing that oil to market at the expense of our priceless natural endowments. Our land and water is too valuable to put at risk for a few billion dollars every year. Frankly, I don't think it would be worth it for any amount of money.

Last edited by TOkidd; 08-17-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada