Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times

Advertisements

Jamaican Canadians still manage to have the accent because chances are their parents were from Jamaica but if they're Canadian... most of the time they sound Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
I have never known a black Canadian that did not sound Canadian. Most speak identically to whites, as far as I know.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:29 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I have never known a black Canadian that did not sound Canadian. Most speak identically to whites, as far as I know.
I would have to disagree, again, its not as different sounding as AAVE but its different enough at least in Toronto

Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM

613 posts, read 815,029 times
All the black people born in Winnipeg, that I know, speak with the same accent as white people. I don't know if this is country wide or not.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:35 PM

228 posts, read 696,250 times
I'm a black Canadian, and most black Canadian (born) DO NOT have a different speech patterns from whites, some may have a slightly different accents I find this especially true with men than with women. Some do pick up an accent from their parents.

I think what some people think is an accent is really "slang talk". Most slang is based of West Indian (mostly Jamaican) slang, so when people talking slangs they automatically put on an (Jafakican, lol) accent. It's similar to pronouncing a french word, you automatically put on a french accent.

Then you have the jokers,mostly teens, than put on the fake accent 24/7 pretending they're are hard.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:05 PM

228 posts, read 696,250 times
Just to add, you do hear more of an accent in the younger generation than the older generations (my age and up). Growing up if I ever attempt to do a West Indian accent my parents would smack me. Most of my cousins were born in the US and they all have a slight Bajan accents with their Brooklyn accents. I asked my Dad why I don't have a slight accent and he said "I taught you to speak Canadian!"

I guess when they immigrated here their accent hinder them, and they didn't want to same for us. Since people are "more" accepting of accents compare to the 60s 70s and 80s, there isn't that pressure "to speak Canadian,lol".

My friends here and in the UK went through the same thing as me (correcting of the accent). One of my friends in the UK thinks that it's a shame that a lot of West Indian parents to teach their kids Patois, but that is a totally different conversation.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
What about Canadian born Asians?

I would say that in the USA, almost all Pakistani, Arab and Asian-descended people taht were born in America sound idenitcal to the whites in their community.
Many Canadian born Asians imo sound a little different from their white counterparts, it could be also some influences from whatever language they may speak to their relatives in, that has a slight effect- whatever it is when I was in Vancouver the "CBCs" had a slightly different accent that I could tell they were Asian even if they spoke with a full Canadian accent
...for whatever reason I find American-born Asians are less likely to have this and sound even more identical to the whites in their community, even if they speak whatever additional language at home. I guess there will be people who would argue that the California-born Asians will have a different accent from the Whites, which is true for a minority but not for most.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
From TV etc it seems they speak identically to white Canadians, if they were born in Canada or arrived at a very young age.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Yep.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 AM

72,997 posts, read 62,569,376 times
I would say it is different. I remember the first time I met a Black Canadian. She is from Ontario. Her speech patterns and accent didn't sound any different from a White Canadian from Ontario. With me, however, people say my accent and speech patterns sound very different from African-Americans in the USA. I remember my French teacher telling me this in high school, who is from Newfoundland. I think we were on the subject of me traveling through Canada. I don't remember. However, the subject of accents came up. According to her, and I would say this is true to a certain extent, speech patterns and accents found among many African-Americans are mainly southern-influenced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada