Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Have you ever been to Australia? Never in a million years would I say that Canada is more British than Australia. Superficial stuff like support for the monarchy notwithstanding. (And we all know what is behind Canadian support for the monarchy.)
No I haven't, but I been to the UK and I have friends who are Australian and have lived in the UK and in our many discussions they find Canada more British than Australia. They see themselves as much more distanced from Britain than Canada.
Is support for the monarchy superficial? I'm not sure about that. What exactly do you find more British in Australia that is more substantial than your take on the monarchy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No I haven't, but I been to the UK and I have friends who are Australian and have lived in the UK and in our many discussions they find Canada more British than Australia. They see themselves as much more distanced from Britain than Canada.
Is support for the monarchy superficial? I'm not sure about that. What exactly do you find more British in Australia that is more substantial than your take on the monarchy?
Post 138 gives some examples of why I think this.
//www.city-data.com/forum/world...merica-14.html

Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
(And we all know what is behind Canadian support for the monarchy.)
Not all of us! Clue this American in on it!

Old 01-29-2014, 02:59 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
I guess Canada is so desperate in need of an identity it never was able to create that it has to act like either the UK or the US for some comfort and recognition.

And after 150 years, we still ask stupid questions like "Is canada more British or American"? Typical small country syndrome - wait, no, small countries such as Portugal and Switzerland don't act like that at all.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:00 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Not all of us! Clue this American in on it!
Funny you should ask that given that it has a lot to do with YOU.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:03 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Funny you should ask that given that it has a lot to do with YOU.

I didn't do nothin' to Canada!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Post 138 gives some examples of why I think this.
//www.city-data.com/forum/world...merica-14.html
Some of the post I disagree with, such as School uniforms making a place more British and being more substantial than Canada's relationship with the monarchy.

Language. When I've heard Australians speak it more the Aussie slang that pops out and not British terms, although they do use lorry and truck. Just a quick search on the term lift or elevator, there seems to be a lot of elevator companies, some using both terms, all using elevator. However someone who currently lives in Australia can answer this. I understand you lived there once, but how long ago. It could be, as in Canada, they are losing some of those British terms???
I see an old post of yours back in 2008!!! It's on the same topic. You said Canadian are losing the pronunciation of dee - po to the American version. I have yet to hear that. I have heard "Zee" and "Skedule" though, but again a quick search on Google says Aussie pronounce it both ways just like in Canada.
So I'm not totally convinced yet...

Sports. Hockey is king in Canada, so even though we have rugby clubs, cricket and lawn bowling clubs, I'll give you that one.

Food. I grew up in B.C. It was roast beef and Yorkshire pudding every sunday and we weren't' even English.
Eating meat pies at sporting event is certainly not done in Canada, but is it done in modern UK? All my unscientific Googling when I enter meat pies and sporting events, gets only Australia and New Zealand results? Anyone know?
Other foods?

Media…well again perhaps this is very regional, but in B.C. I grew up with a ton of British programming from Man About the House to On the Busses etc.
Today with the internet I'm going to say it's a toss up. Kids today don't watch TV ( actually either do I anymore )

Pubs? Again I haven't been to Australia so can't comment, but Googling Australian Sports Bars bring up a lot of places commenting on their flat screen TV size. However I'm find that most pubs in Canada have turned into sports bars, not all, but a lot. Especially since flat screens have become popular. Has the same change occurred in Australia since your last visit?? Again I don't know how long ago you were there.

So if any one is more British than the other, I'm guessing it's not by much.

I also wonder if Canadian or Australians can't really truly answer this question, a can't see the forest because of the trees.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-29-2014 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I guess Canada is so desperate in need of an identity it never was able to create that it has to act like either the UK or the US for some comfort and recognition.

And after 150 years, we still ask stupid questions like "Is canada more British or American"? Typical small country syndrome - wait, no, small countries such as Portugal and Switzerland don't act like that at all.
The question was asked by an American. We are just answering it. I usually don't give the question one second of thought.
Thanks for playing though.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:21 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The question was asked by an American. We are just answering it. I usually don't give the question one second of thought.
Thanks for playing though.
And as usual it was one of his 'derogatory towards Canada' offerings.. whatta guy, eh?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And as usual it was one of his 'derogatory towards Canada' offerings.. whatta guy, eh?
I'm willing to pay his moving expenses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada