Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:44 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times

Advertisements

So, Saint John's looks like an outstanding place to visit. Phenomenal nature, and an aesthetic which resembles that of Europe, and is perhaps more picturesque than many cities over there. One problem though. Saint John's seems to be quite hard to get to. First, time. When I look at flights there, they all appear to be quite lengthy with multiple stops. When I look at going by car, it says it would be 51 hours from FL ONE WAY, when factoring for the ferry across. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's super nice, but I mean, that's a longer amount of time than it would take me to get to Vancouver! Or, put another way, I could drive to the Rocky Mountains in NM and back in the amount of time it would take me to go one way to SJ. Now, it is still something I have given thought to one summer with my family. Is it THAT worth it though? Second part is expenses. The flight there would seem to be almost as expensive as actually going to Europe. Driving even would be expensive, besides all the gas, the price of a ferry, plus either bringing my car across, or renting one over there, appears to be super steep also (like 100$ plus each way, plus 50$ per person in group each way. Yeesh.) I still want to get there eventually, but in the meantime, do any of the other maritime provinces offer a similar feel? I know Quebec City and Montreal are pretty fantastic, but they aren't coastal, per se. And, from what I can tell, Halifax, Charlottetown, Saint John (NB) and Fredericton, don't look or feel especially European, not even compared to places like Portland, Maine, at least from pictures, though that impression could be wrong. Cape Breton Highlands would seem to offer some of the phenomenal nature of Newfoundland, but it doesn't appear to have any major/European feeling towns. That being said, which place in the mainland maritimes is the best combination of historic, European style urban center, combined with bucolic/astounding natural setting? OR, is there simply nothing that quite measures up to Gros Morne/Saint John's, and I need to figure out a way to get across? Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 04:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
So, Saint John's looks like an outstanding place to visit. Phenomenal nature, and an aesthetic which resembles that of Europe, and is perhaps more picturesque than many cities over there. One problem though. Saint John's seems to be quite hard to get to. First, time. When I look at flights there, they all appear to be quite lengthy with multiple stops. When I look at going by car, it says it would be 51 hours from FL ONE WAY, when factoring for the ferry across. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's super nice, but I mean, that's a longer amount of time than it would take me to get to Vancouver! Or, put another way, I could drive to the Rocky Mountains in NM and back in the amount of time it would take me to go one way to SJ. Now, it is still something I have given thought to one summer with my family. Is it THAT worth it though? Second part is expenses. The flight there would seem to be almost as expensive as actually going to Europe. Driving even would be expensive, besides all the gas, the price of a ferry, plus either bringing my car across, or renting one over there, appears to be super steep also (like 100$ plus each way, plus 50$ per person in group each way. Yeesh.) I still want to get there eventually, but in the meantime, do any of the other maritime provinces offer a similar feel? I know Quebec City and Montreal are pretty fantastic, but they aren't coastal, per se. And, from what I can tell, Halifax, Charlottetown, Saint John (NB) and Fredericton, don't look or feel especially European, not even compared to places like Portland, Maine, at least from pictures, though that impression could be wrong. Cape Breton Highlands would seem to offer some of the phenomenal nature of Newfoundland, but it doesn't appear to have any major/European feeling towns. That being said, which place in the mainland maritimes is the best combination of historic, European style urban center, combined with bucolic/astounding natural setting? OR, is there simply nothing that quite measures up to Gros Morne/Saint John's, and I need to figure out a way to get across? Thanks everyone!
Theres nothing quite like Newfoundland so if you want to experience it you gonna have to bite the bullet and fly or drive. be aware its a 10 hour drive from St Johns to Gros Morne.=
https://results.searchlock.com/searc...le&chnm=js_270

Old 05-10-2017, 05:09 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
I'd like to know--why does the OP think St. John's is "European"?

I've been there a few times. St. John's is unique--there is no place quite like it, in North America or Europe. It is a little hard to get to, but in my experience, it is worth the trip.

At any rate, I would not call St. John's "European." If anything, it is pure Newfoundland, and unlike any place else.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:20 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
I agree with the others, St. John's is unique but hardly European (although I haven't been to northern Norway where there might be some similarities?). As unique as it is, I can't quite imagine driving all the way from Florida and not doing the rest of Nfld or the Maritimes for that matter.

Regarding cities, Halifax and the rest of SE Nova Scotia are very interesting too. NB cities are nothing special and Charlottetown is very small. But the appeal of the Atlantic provinces is nature -- CB highlands, PEI northern coast (esp. Greenwich), Bay of Fundy, Gros Morne...

OP -- yep, SJ is far and expensive to get to. You'll have to decide whether that's worth the effort/cost.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'd like to know--why does the OP think St. John's is "European"?

I've been there a few times. St. John's is unique--there is no place quite like it, in North America or Europe. It is a little hard to get to, but in my experience, it is worth the trip.

At any rate, I would not call St. John's "European." If anything, it is pure Newfoundland, and unlike any place else.
Usually, but not always, people who claim a place looks European, haven't been to Europe. How many times have people waxed on about how Montreal is like Europe..when anyone who has been to France and Montreal know that is incorrect.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:17 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
I wouldn't say exactly like Europe, obviously it has its own characteristics. But by European-esque, I mean older architecture, dense street grids, open spaces, etc. I haven't been to Saint John's so I can't fully comment, but the colorful houses and cityscape looks like a smaller version of Copenhagen from the air, but if Copenhagen had more topo variation. A bit like Reykjavik also. Montreal Old Town looks more British than French IMO, but still looks and feels more Euro than just about any place in North America. I realize there isn't one standard for European look, either. Anyways, my other question then is what is the cheapest one could get to Newfoundland? I realize natural areas and other provinces are worthwhile and would explore them also for sure.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:53 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
I was just going to say that there is no single European look and feel. Tampere is different from Palermo and both are different from Thessaloniki and Faro.

That said, Newfoundland is with Quebec and Nunavut, one of the three places in Canada which will feel the most obviously foreign to an American.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I agree with the others, St. John's is unique but hardly European (although I haven't been to northern Norway where there might be some similarities?). As unique as it is, I can't quite imagine driving all the way from Florida and not doing the rest of Nfld or the Maritimes for that matter.

Regarding cities, Halifax and the rest of SE Nova Scotia are very interesting too. NB cities are nothing special and Charlottetown is very small. But the appeal of the Atlantic provinces is nature -- CB highlands, PEI northern coast (esp. Greenwich), Bay of Fundy, Gros Morne...

OP -- yep, SJ is far and expensive to get to. You'll have to decide whether that's worth the effort/cost.
Saint John looks pretty cute and has a pretty substantial old core for a city its size. I believe around the time of confederation it was the 4th largest city in Canada. It seems to have decent old bones. I think 2018 will be the year for Canadian travel for my partner and I and a visit to the Atlantic Provinces is at the top.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Anyways, my other question then is what is the cheapest one could get to Newfoundland?
That's a question only you can answer, since when travelling to Newfoundland, you must also ask, "How valuable is my time?" in addition to "How many dollars will this cost me?"

Sure, there are flights daily from Halifax and other cities (including Tampa and Orlando, in Florida), and you can rent a car once you get there. This may be the fastest, but most expensive way.

The other choice is driving, which, as you note, entails a ferry crossing. You have a choice of two in the summer months: North Sydney NS to Argentia Nfld (which is 14 hours), or North Sydney NS to Port-aux-Basques Nfld (which is 8 hours, but which leaves you with an 8-10 hour drive to St. John's). I've done both, and they're actually kind of fun--these are not small car ferries crossing rivers; these are full-scale ocean-going vessels, with choices in restaurants, bars with entertainment, activities for children, cabins for rent, gift shops, and so on. But they do take time, cost money, and reservations are mandatory. Still, I had a great time on the ferry, meeting and talking with Newfoundlanders about their home, and getting plenty of recommendations about where to go and what to see in and around St. John's (and the rest of the island). This definitely hasn't happened any time I've flown in.

How valuable is your time? If you believe that getting there is half the trip, then I suggest driving. If you believe that being there is the whole trip, then I suggest flying. Me, I'd love to take the ferry again, but in the end, the choice is up to you.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
I would recommend driving and taking the ferry if you have the time as there are so many amazing things to see along the way in Atlantic Canada like the Bay of Fundy, the beaches of PEI, Cape Breton Highlands and Gros Morne national park among many others. There are so many amazing places in Atlantic Canada and you should take the time to see them on your way to St. John's if you can. The ferry is fun but since you are out in the open ocean, the weather can get rough. If you are prone to seasickness, make sure you bring some Gravol. I had that problem on the ferry over and didn't have any with me. They do have lots of amenities on board the vessels, so you will never have to worry about anything. Newfoundland is bigger than it looks on a map and like others have said, expect a 9-10 hour drive from Port-aux-Basques to St. John's if you choose that route. Also, beware of moose on the highway. They are very common in NF and I almost collided with one. All in all, it was a very memorable and amazing trip where I met lots of friendly people and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada