Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 10:33 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
WOW it was the rainiest August 7 on record in Vancouver but since you say so then it must be true. Weather records mean nothing.
It's entirely possible that it was a record breaking precipitation at the airport for the day of August 7th compared to previous years considering the fact that in early August the norm is for there to be NO precipitation there at all. So perhaps in previous years there has never been a rainfall recorded there on ANY August 7th, in which case any amount of rain on that day would be a record, no matter how much or how little rain it was.

In any case, whether it was actually a record or not, the 22.1 mm claimed in your link is the equivalent of 0.87 inch which is a negligible amount. It's laughably less than a normal morning's minimal accumulation of dew on grass and not much to quibble about or make an issue of it when it hasn't had a damned bit of impact on the heat and the fires.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 11:07 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's entirely possible that it was a record breaking precipitation at the airport for the day of August 7th compared to previous years considering the fact that in early August the norm is for there to be NO precipitation there at all. So perhaps in previous years there has never been a rainfall recorded there on ANY August 7th, in which case any amount of rain on that day would be a record, no matter how much or how little rain it was.

In any case, whether it was actually a record or not, the 22.1 mm claimed in your link is the equivalent of 0.87 inch which is a negligible amount. It's laughably less than a normal morning's minimal accumulation of dew on grass and not much to quibble about or make an issue of it when it hasn't had a damned bit of impact on the heat and the fires.

0.87" of rain in one day is considered a lot of rain even in January (a whole winter month gets about 5-6" of rain), don't know where you get the idea it is negligible. And my point was not even about the record rain or whatever but I wanted to point out that yesterday was NOT the day that ended the dry streak in Vancouver.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:54 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
0.87" of rain in one day is considered a lot of rain even in January (a whole winter month gets about 5-6" of rain), don't know where you get the idea it is negligible. And my point was not even about the record rain or whatever but I wanted to point out that yesterday was NOT the day that ended the dry streak in Vancouver.

You live in Seattle don't you? You do understand the difference in scattered/isolated showers and rain?

As I said, I was at the beach that day, and felt two drops. It literally didn't register at the closest station.

There are 15 rainfall collecting stations in the Vancouver area, the one most quoted in media is at the airport, but the article doesn't say which one, so i'm not sure where they are getting 22 mm of precipitation from.

These charts are from the one downtown by the harbour, the closest one to where I live.

Notice on August 8th that station recorded .40 mm over 2 hours at it's peak...4am to 6am. .40mm is 0.015748 inches.

https://tinyurl.com/5btvn2j4

The same station yesterday, August 16, recorded 5.5 mm at it's peak from 8am to 10pm.

https://tinyurl.com/s8u8y3bw

Anyone looking at the charts can see the difference between the two days.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-17-2021 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You live in Seattle don't you? You do understand the difference in scattered/isolated showers and rain?

As I said, I was at the beach that day, and felt two drops. It literally didn't register at the closest station.

There are 15 rainfall collecting stations in the Vancouver area, the one most quoted in media is at the airport, but the article doesn't say which one, so i'm not sure where they are getting 22 mm of precipitation from.

These charts are from the one downtown by the harbour, the closest one to where I live.

Notice on August 8th that station recorded .40 mm over 2 hours at it's peak...4am to 6am. .40mm is 0.015748 inches.

https://tinyurl.com/5btvn2j4

The same station yesterday, August 16, recorded 5.5 mm at it's peak from 8am to 10pm.

https://tinyurl.com/s8u8y3bw

Anyone looking at the charts can see the difference between the two days.
I think you are talking about the wrong day (August 8?). The day that ended the dry streak was August 7.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I think you are talking about the wrong day (August 8?). The day that ended the dry streak was August 7.
Here is the 7th.

My points still stand.

https://tinyurl.com/nvpsu48p

Old 08-17-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Here is the 7th.

My points still stand.

https://tinyurl.com/nvpsu48p
You said that Vancouver finally ended its dry streak yesterday when in fact it did it more than a week ago. That's all I pointed out. Why is it hard to understand? The stats disagree with your opinion. It's ridiculous to even argue about official precipitation stats.
Quote:
RAIN!

For the first time since June 15th we finally have some rain.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You said that Vancouver finally ended its dry streak yesterday when in fact it did it more than a week ago. That's all I pointed out. Why is it hard to understand? The stats disagree with your opinion. It's ridiculous to even argue about official precipitation stats.
I didn't say Vancouver finally ended it dry streak...you even posted exactly what I said and it wasn't that. Rain is different than isolated showers.

I've posted exactly what Vancouver got that day compared to yesterday.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I didn't say Vancouver finally ended it dry streak...you even posted exactly what I said and it wasn't that. Rain is different than isolated showers.

I've posted exactly what Vancouver got that day compared to yesterday.
I guess you don't visit the weather forum then. It's all about stats rather than personal perception/observation. Yes I know there is a difference between showers and rain in real life, but not so much for the weather data.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
I've visited the weather forum from time to time. It's good for a laugh but I can't take any of those folks and their made up fantasy scenarios seriously. The majority of the people who hang out there and post about weather stats and data and graphs that they copied and pasted from somewhere else online are fantasizing pseudo-intellectual wannabee armchair meteorologists stuck indoors with their computers and air conditioners who haven't got a clue what they're theorizing and speculating and arguing with each other about. They even have a pecking order over there for heaven's sake! It's a joke. It's no different from the P&OC forum and the in-one-ear-out-the-other-ear arguments that happen there about climate change.

If I want to determine exactly how much rain I've gotten at my location I can step outside and go by my trusty moisture meter that gets stuck in the ground. If it registers bone dry at 4 inches below the ground surface at various locations around the property then I know there hasn't been near enough rain and I know I need to soak the plants and trees. That's all I need to know. I don't need to know about other people's stats and data or about how much water got blown by the wind into tiny little open receptacles with measurements on them sticking up into the air on the end of sticks at some obscure weather stations that are nowhere near my location. A big open pan out in the yard gives a better reading for my purposes. If it's full it means there was enough rain and if it only has a smidgen of water like a couple of inches in it then there wasn't enough rain, and if it's empty it means there was no rain.

And if I want to know how hot or cold it is outside I can tell by the severity and by timing the intervals between the hot flashes I've been getting every day for the past 65 years of my life. Works for me better than any thermometer, you betcha!

Old 08-18-2021, 05:40 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times
After this summer’s woes in BC, would it be tasteless to fire up a remake of this Canuxploitation classic?
Canuxploitation Review: City on Fire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada