Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2022, 07:46 PM

3,491 posts, read 2,831,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And I am telling you that this is entirely based on ethno-cultural history and there is no Christian-based right wing French Canadian movement that can bring out even a tenth of this type of crowd in the streets.

Stop trying to impose American socio-political norms on other countries. Things are different here. There is a border for a reason.
Any such movement in Quebec could fit in a depanneur with room to spare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 07:50 PM

3,977 posts, read 5,794,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
^ This is an astute take.

I have always regarded Canada basically the way Margaret Atwood portrays the country in The Handmaid's Tale, or to provide a real-world example, the way American objectors to the Vietnam War viewed Canada - a potential place of refuge, a place an American could hopefully flee to if something really horrific happened in the U.S.

This "trucker" siege has shattered that perception of Canada. This internet-fueled far-right scourge is infecting nations throughout the world and apparently even a country as amazing as Canada is not immune to this pathetic fad.

My sincere advice as someone who has watched first-hand as this element has destroyed America - crush this. It is terrorism and these people will only continue to escalate until they are met with serious consequences.
In China, the truck convoy would have already been dispersed by the police and military with sudden force and participants jailed faster than you can count to ten. Heck, the national police would be out and about searching for relatives, friends, and close associates and detaining them without due process. You'll be certain someone will pay dearly. In the eyes of the authorities, this convoy and camp out would not be considered a protest but an uprising or insurrection to overthrow the system and must be put down with force. Not here in North America. It is all so hard to "crush" this movement in legal rights respecting countries like Canada and the US because one move too far would be tantamount to walking onto a political landmine. I also highly suspect just like in the US, some Canadian military and law enforcement are sympathetic to the protesters and would not easily obey any orders to crush the movement.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:53 PM

15,472 posts, read 9,161,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
^ This is an astute take.

I have always regarded Canada basically the way Margaret Atwood portrays the country in The Handmaid's Tale, or to provide a real-world example, the way American objectors to the Vietnam War viewed Canada - a potential place of refuge, a place an American could hopefully flee to if something really horrific happened in the U.S.

This "trucker" siege has shattered that perception of Canada. This internet-fueled far-right scourge is infecting nations throughout the world and apparently even a country as amazing as Canada is not immune to this pathetic fad.

My sincere advice as someone who has watched first-hand as this element has destroyed America - crush this. It is terrorism and these people will only continue to escalate until they are met with serious consequences.
I agree. What is going on right now is really unprecedented and it's the scariest thing I have seen in my life time. This is civil unrest spilling over across international borders. Legitimately elected democratic governments do not need to put up with this BS and should not. This is not a protest, it's insurrection and if it is not taken serious, they are going to win eventually. They tried last year to overthrow the US government and failed, and now they are turning their attention to what they perceive as a weaker government to attack.

These people need to take it to the voter box, but they know they can't win there.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:53 PM

7,310 posts, read 9,358,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Ita who?
I totally (mostly) agreed with the post. ITA.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:54 PM

12,596 posts, read 9,716,173 times
The ironic thing is, they call these "freedom" protests, but they are taking away the freedom of countless people. Many can't get to work, businesses can't ship goods or bring in raw materials, patients have difficulty getting to hospitals, people can't sleep because of the noise, people can't walk down the street without suffering harassment and intimidation. In order to avoid vaccination, they are creating huge problems for all their countrymen, who now have no freedom - they're trying to hold the whole nation hostage. And the truckers who say they're willing to do this to their country indefinitely.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:05 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,554,286 times
Ottawa police say the ‘flood’ of false 911 calls came ‘significantly’ from U.S. sources:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8609284/o...t-disruptions/

Old 02-10-2022, 09:05 PM

9,479 posts, read 10,836,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Ottawa police say the ‘flood’ of false 911 calls came ‘significantly’ from U.S. sources:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8609284/o...t-disruptions/
People should not be doing that. Tying up 9-11 is not a protest, it is a crime that puts people in danger. Completely inexcusable.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:28 PM

509 posts, read 350,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
In China, the truck convoy would have already been dispersed by the police and military with sudden force and participants jailed faster than you can count to ten. Heck, the national police would be out and about searching for relatives, friends, and close associates and detaining them without due process. You'll be certain someone will pay dearly. In the eyes of the authorities, this convoy and camp out would not be considered a protest but an uprising or insurrection to overthrow the system and must be put down with force. Not here in North America. It is all so hard to "crush" this movement in legal rights respecting countries like Canada and the US because one move too far would be tantamount to walking onto a political landmine. I also highly suspect just like in the US, some Canadian military and law enforcement are sympathetic to the protesters and would not easily obey any orders to crush the movement.
Your last sentence is an important point to understand and I respect the general sentiment of your statements here. However, we have to acknowledge there is free speech, and then there is peaceful protest, then there's obnoxious public demonstration, and then there is terrorism. China crushes all of these. We in Canada and the U.S. celebrate the first two (free speech and peaceful protest), we tolerate the third (obnoxious demonstrations), but we must never accept that fourth one (terrorism.) This current mess in Canada mostly started out as an embarrassing national nuisance but it has turned into something far too serious to ignore or coddle. The tactics being used by the "truckers" are designed to terrorize innocent citizens and cause widespread suffering. We absolutely can not allow this!

Old 02-10-2022, 10:32 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,974,650 times
Seems to me that protesters are acting in bad faith. In Alberta, protesters set up a blockade at the only 24 hour international border crossing in Coutts, Alberta. They demanded that the Premier remove all pandemic restrictions.

The provincial government complied. They removed all restrictions, effective 2 weeks to allow time for Albertans to adjust.

Protesters should have said thank you. If the Alberta govt reneged, they could protest again in 2 weeks. They didn't. They got everything they demanded and all they had to do was respect Albertans and give them 2 weeks to adjust. They said no. They continue to blockade critical infrastructure.

Meanwhile, university students and employees are preparing for full time in class learning and teaching with no vaccine and no mask mandates effective Feb 28. Student Unions are demanding that mask mandates remain in place.

Protesters got what they want, everyone's lives are turned upside down, but it's not good enough. They negotiated in bad faith. I suspect that across the country they are the same - acting in bad faith, that nothing will ever be good enough until they topple the government.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:45 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,554,286 times
Cristina Tenaglia:
Quote:
BREAKING: Ontario expected to proceed with an emergency order that will give police additional powers to end the Ontario occupations/blockade. Province also considering a state of emergency, as per source. Premier Doug Ford expected to meet with cabinet tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/cristina_CP24/st...81526950727724

Evan Solomon:
Quote:
Breaking: sources tell me Ontario will invoke new emergency measures tomorrow and possibly state of emergency to give province new powers to enforce penalties against protestors. New emergency powers from Ontario to come into effect tomorrow.
Quote:
Will be emergency orders or state of emergency. Some emergency orders still in place (renewed every 30 /60 days) but these could be new orders to have heftier fines. Cabinet meeting in Ont tomorrow will finalize but province and Feds are aligned according to sources.
https://twitter.com/EvanLSolomon/sta...78352957313044
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada