Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2023, 11:31 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernOpposum View Post
Why the nasty reference of America? Our truckers haven't shut down anything, and people are still free to protest here without arrest. Our hope is nobody turns us into Canada.
Speak for yourself. You don't get to speak for all Americans. Fox News has ginned up a lot of this nonsense. I'd rather the US was more like Canada than the US South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 03:52 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,524,010 times
‘Save the Children Convoy’ Leaders Plotted to Capture Police and MPs at Secret Meetings, Participants Allege

Quote:
During secret planning meetings, leaders of a convoy inspired by far-right pedophile conspiracies allegedly told participants they planned to round-up police officers and Members of Parliament in Toronto and Ottawa, before sending a final convoy to Tofino, British Columbia to “take the head off the snake.”

Over the summer, groups and individuals previously associated with the Freedom Convoy have been holding secret in-person meetings at locations across Canada to iron out plans for the so-called “Save the Children Convoy” this fall.

This week, the convoy set-up a rural base camp near Casselman, 40 minutes outside Ottawa.
Nutty.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
I think that goes beyond nutty. It's bizarre to say the least.

I say this in all seriousness. I'm beginning to think that one of the side effects of being in contact with the covid virus (besides brain fog, suppression of immune systems and other physical illnesses) is that it's made so many people nutty and caused them to lose their common sense and their critical thinking skills. There is something really wrong and totally off the wall happening with so many people's minds.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:13 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think that goes beyond nutty. It's bizarre to say the least.

I say this in all seriousness. I'm beginning to think that one of the side effects of being in contact with the covid virus (besides brain fog, suppression of immune systems and other physical illnesses) is that it's made so many people nutty and caused them to lose their common sense and their critical thinking skills. There is something really wrong and totally off the wall happening with so many people's minds.

It isn't just the virus itself though (and yes there are probably impacts that are not fully understood) - we also have to examine what the impact of things like lockdowns, staying at home for long periods of time etc had collectively. We are social creatures and we cut ourselves off from one another for a pretty sustained period. We don't fully grasp yet the psychological impact of all this. Couple that with COL increasing in large part due to the pandemic impact and is it any wonder things have changed. I miss the 2010's for sure!

Old 10-13-2023, 02:20 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
I don’t know what the solution is. I guess a boring, centrist type PM to the right of Trudeau and left of Pollievre would calm things down quite a bit. O’Toole seemed like a good candidate in the sense he would be a unifying force for the country. That’s the thing though with how polarized things are urban vs rural and Prairies vs the East, it’s hard for me to envision the kind of candidate that could bridge those gaps. Didn’t really seem to work with Erin O’Toole, although at the time Trudeau was more popular than now due to how older folks received the government’s pandemic response.

Old 10-14-2023, 12:02 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
I think O'toole would have been in a good position now if they kept him. definitely less polarizing but we are sort of moving in the direction of two sides further away from the centre. We all said we hoped that wouldn't happen and that is what is happening. Identity politics is the way of the world now I guess. You gotta pick a side or else.

Old 10-19-2023, 12:19 PM

333 posts, read 153,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This time around though what - what are they protesting. There are no mandates. So it is hard to take them at all seriously in this environment. I'm frustrated with inflation and rising interest rates, but there is no one person or political entity to blame.
I have zero idea what Convoy 2.0 is protesting this time around. What I do know is I will certainly send them money if it makes Trudolph have another hissy fit.

Old 10-23-2023, 02:01 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
I have zero idea what Convoy 2.0 is protesting this time around. What I do know is I will certainly send them money if it makes Trudolph have another hissy fit.
It’s unlikely a PPC candidate will be elected in Caledon or wherever riding you live. Pollievre talks a lot of smack but has he outlined how he would have handled the situation differently? Most of the mandates here in Ontario were put in place by Doug. I have had 3 shots and would do it again because I trust the science, but I don’t agree with coercing people to get vaccinated either, like you. I’m just not convinced short of a far right fringe party like the PPC we’d have see n any difference in approach. iI the Tories were in power, look to their UK counterparts and see if you can see any major differences in Covid policy vs Trudeau

Old 10-23-2023, 02:16 PM

333 posts, read 153,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It’s unlikely a PPC candidate will be elected in Caledon or wherever riding you live. Pollievre talks a lot of smack but has he outlined how he would have handled the situation differently? Most of the mandates here in Ontario were put in place by Doug. I have had 3 shots and would do it again because I trust the science, but I don’t agree with coercing people to get vaccinated either, like you. I’m just not convinced short of a far right fringe party like the PPC we’d have see n any difference in approach. iI the Tories were in power, look to their UK counterparts and see if you can see any major differences in Covid policy vs Trudeau
I'm not sure who you have me confused with, but I am triple vaxxed and support Poilievre 100%. Mad Max Bernier is an idiot altogether. You should really stop lumping everyone who isn't left of the NDP as a far right, antivaxxed PPoC supporters. It really isn't a good look.

As for Trudeau's COVID policy, this was all I needed to see:

“Yes, we will get out of this pandemic by vaccination. We all know people who are a little bit hesitant. We will continue to try and convince them, but there are also people who are fiercely against vaccination. They are extremists who don’t believe in science, they’re often misogynists, also often racists. It’s a small group that muscles in, and we have to make a choice in terms of leaders, in terms of the country. Do we tolerate these people?" -Justin Trudeau, 6 September 2021

I agree with Bill Maher; Trudeau sounds exactly like Hitler during this little tirade. It certainly explains his recent behavior of inviting and giving standing ovation to a literal Nazi in the House of Commons. No wonder he is loathed by most of the Canada.

Old 10-23-2023, 02:36 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
I'm not sure who you have me confused with, but I am triple vaxxed and support Poilievre 100%. Mad Max Bernier is an idiot altogether. You should really stop lumping everyone who isn't left of the NDP as a far right, antivaxxed PPoC supporters. It really isn't a good look.

As for Trudeau's COVID policy, this was all I needed to see:

“Yes, we will get out of this pandemic by vaccination. We all know people who are a little bit hesitant. We will continue to try and convince them, but there are also people who are fiercely against vaccination. They are extremists who don’t believe in science, they’re often misogynists, also often racists. It’s a small group that muscles in, and we have to make a choice in terms of leaders, in terms of the country. Do we tolerate these people?" -Justin Trudeau, 6 September 2021

I agree with Bill Maher; Trudeau sounds exactly like Hitler during this little tirade. It certainly explains his recent behavior of inviting and giving standing ovation to a literal Nazi in the House of Commons. No wonder he is loathed by most of the Canada.
I’m more saying the PPC would be the only party with substantially different Covid policies. We saw the same type of things all around the world.
Trudeau definitely didn’t do himself any favours with that statement but personally given the lion’s share of antivaxx misinformation has come from the usual far right suspects like Rebel News, I don’t think he was too far off the mark but it was politically unwise to say for sure. I am convinced if Scheer had won in 2019 or O’Toole on ‘21 we’d have seen the same border restrictions like ArriveCAN, same type of vaccine passports (which were implemented at the provincial level), etc. Pollievre has spent the last 2 years criticizing Trudeau at every turn without outlining his own plans for policy, which leads me to believe he’d probably have done the same thing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada