Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 11:26 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My mother was caring for my older brother born in late 40 from the day my Dad went over there in early 41.

She didn't work in a munitions factory but, in a very large shoe factory (Sisman's Shoe of Aurora, Ontario) making boots for the military.

Mom got telegrams on two separate occasions informing her he had been wounded in action with the extent of his injuries being unknown at the time of notification with "further details as to the extent of his injuries will be provided as soon as they become available" - in each case, exactly 21 days later, she was then informed by telegrams he had returned to action.

As a Troop Sgt. tank commander he had a knuckle of his left hand destroyed by shrapnel while standing in the turret of his Sherman and the other occasion he had received shrapnel wounds to his right shoulder, neck and head after the Piat bombs in a rack on the side of his tank were hit by a sniper.

My father took part in the liberation of Holland as well with his Regimental Diary containing an entry he was tasked with taking three Shermans up on a **** to destroy a brick factory hiding German artillery on the other side of the Rhine at Wageningen that had been responsible for lobbing shells into the Canadian lines. Dutch teens were lined up laying on the top of that **** watching with glee as his tanks reduced that factory to a smoking pile of rubble.

**EDIT**: stupid site restrictions will not allow calling a tall, man-made berm holding back the sea in the Netherlands a d**e.

An American perspective:

https://www.historians.org/about-aha...n-world-war-ii

I sometimes wonder if protesters of any stripe had similar backgrounds; would they still whine over anything they choose to call a loss of freedom if indeed it was something so trivial as a mandated vaccine.

Sounds like your dad was in the thick of it more than mine, he was a trooper in the Royal Tank Regiment.
He drove a lease-lend American Mack truck taking munitions to the tanks in the Falaise country of Normandy.
He was wounded, not seriously, when a Luftwaffe pilot strafed his truck and invalided back to England, but a few days prior to that was “captured “ by a couple of Canadians who couldn’t understand his London accent.
That ended amicably with the three of them getting wasted in an abandoned bar with the doors blown in.
My mother worked in a munitions factory in East London from 1940 to 1944.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 11:28 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
@ChevySpoons (trying not to quote long posts just to address one point)

Quote:
Oh sure, I'll grant that land border crossings were closed, except to commercial traffic;
It wasn't even limited to commercial traffic. Land border crossings were open to immediate family, with quarantine requirements, in (I think) July of 2020. In October of 2020, it opened to extended family, including committed partners, also with quarantine requirements. I came into Canada in mid-November of that year. Literally tens of thousands of foreign nationals came in under the extended-family exemption. Last July the border opened to vaccinated Americans.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:33 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
@jbgusa
Quote:
I know that's provincial but why did many provinces if not all create substantial restrictions?
Not all of the provinces had the same restrictions and that some were quite open, and that often it was a business decision and not a political one.

For example, I am in Ontario. The premier refused to force hospital workers to be vaccinated, but their employers required it.

I believe they put the restrictions in place because of health concerns and fear of overwhelming the system.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-26-2022 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-26-2022, 11:42 AM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What a leap!

ETA: obviously he fought so drunks could drive, men could shoot whenever and wherever they wanted, so that there would be no stop signs, no border crossings or controls of any kind, and people could do whatever they pleased! Duh! That's why all soldiers fight!
I think there's a difference between drunk driving and indiscriminate shooting and doffing a chin-diaper.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
@jbgusa

Not all of the provinces had the same restrictions and that some were quite open, and that often it was a business decision and not a political one.

For example, I am in Ontario. The premier refused to force hospital workers to be vaccinated, but their employers required it.

I believe they put the restrictions in place because of health concerns and fear of overwhelming the system.
Noted, but the restrictions to protect the hospital system was supposed to last for two weeks, not two years. My criticism of the restrictions in the first place was that there was no good way to reopen if the goal was eradicating the virus and not only protecting the hospitals from being overwhelmed. That indeed turned out to be the rub.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Sounds like your dad was in the thick of it more than mine, he was a trooper in the Royal Tank Regiment.
He drove a lease-lend American Mack truck taking munitions to the tanks in the Falaise country of Normandy.
He was wounded, not seriously, when a Luftwaffe pilot strafed his truck and invalided back to England, but a few days prior to that was “captured “ by a couple of Canadians who couldn’t understand his London accent.
That ended amicably with the three of them getting wasted in an abandoned bar with the doors blown in.
My mother worked in a munitions factory in East London from 1940 to 1944.
Everyone who went over there was "in the thick of it" in one way or another. Mine was with the Governor General's Horse Guards, an armoured reconnaissance regiment. He first landed in Italy and fought his way up the boot.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:49 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think there's a difference between drunk driving and indiscriminate shooting and doffing a chin-diaper.
Preventing drunks from driving, preventing people from being allowed to indiscriminately shoot, and preventing people from spreading a virus by wearing a mask, are all in the realm of public health.

We have laws that you MUST follow in order to legally drive, to own a gun and I don't ( at least in Canada ) think people feel that infringes on their freedom.

Wearing a mask was a temporary measure. Whining about it and equating it to what people fought for in a World War is ridiculous. Those soldiers understood what freedoms they were fighting for, and that with freedom comes responsibility. They gave UP their freedom, to go fight. Wearing a mask, in comparison, or to think that some form of anarchy equals freedom, would sadden them, I'm sure. They put their lives on the line, wearing a mask is NOTHING in comparison and those that complained about it, sound like spoiled children and it's all about ME and not the society we live in.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Preventing drunks from driving, preventing people from being allowed to indiscriminately shoot, and preventing people from spreading a virus by wearing a mask, are all in the realm of public health.

We have laws that you MUST follow in order to legally drive, to own a gun and I don't ( at least in Canada ) think people feel that infringes on their freedom.

Wearing a mask was a temporary measure. Whining about it and equating it to what people fought for in a World War is ridiculous. Those soldiers understood what freedoms they were fighting for, and that with freedom comes responsibility. They gave UP their freedom, to go fight. Wearing a mask, in comparison, or to think that some form of anarchy equals freedom, would sadden them, I'm sure. They put their lives on the line, wearing a mask is NOTHING in comparison and those that complained about it, sound like spoiled children and it's all about ME and not the society we live in.
Exactly!

Old 03-27-2022, 01:33 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You have already described the makings of a police state.
Just because I'm curious, in what way?

In my opinion, it was necessary to close Canada's borders to all but essential traffic, to keep the virus out. You seem to see things differently.

I may be wrong, but you seem to think that this is the first step to an iron curtain, a USSR or North Korean-style ("keep them all at home") dictatorship. Nothing could be farther from the truth. All Covid-mitigation measures were temporary, and that was made clear, and we Canadians dealt. And now, we're at the end, and I no longer need to wear a mask in public, or "show my papers" to anyone. A police state would have a different stance, I'm sure.

Canada will never be a dictatorship or police state; nothing could be farther from the truth. Our constitution prevents it, and the checks and balances built into our system (hint: Justin Trudeau isn't as powerful as you think he is) won't allow it.

I will leave it at that.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Just because I'm curious, in what way?

In my opinion, it was necessary to close Canada's borders to all but essential traffic, to keep the virus out. You seem to see things differently.

I may be wrong, but you seem to think that this is the first step to an iron curtain, a USSR or North Korean-style ("keep them all at home") dictatorship. Nothing could be farther from the truth. All Covid-mitigation measures were temporary, and that was made clear, and we Canadians dealt. And now, we're at the end, and I no longer need to wear a mask in public, or "show my papers" to anyone. A police state would have a different stance, I'm sure.

Canada will never be a dictatorship or police state; nothing could be farther from the truth. Our constitution prevents it, and the checks and balances built into our system (hint: Justin Trudeau isn't as powerful as you think he is) won't allow it.

I will leave it at that.
Chevy, your arguments are always logical. That does not mean I agree with them.

The fact is that New Zealand, Australia and South Korea attempted to wall themselves off and were unsuccessful. I feel that virtually all the attempts to employ non-pharmaceutical interventions were ineffective, and succeeded in doing damage, some irreparable, to economies and civil society. The fact that Canada had to Vail in “essential“ and commercial traffic was one giant gap, even if the border were otherwise impermeable to viruses. Obviously, if masks cannot stop viruses, a political line on a map cannot either.

What politicians did not do was immediately lift restrictions for fully vaccinated people. This was one giant misstep. What is interesting, and being on the road I cannot supply a link, is it Africa has been relatively unaffected. My own theory, for which I have no scientific support, is that herd immunity developed fast. By way of similar example, the first wave of coronavirus hit the New York City area at a time when no one was taking mitigation measures. Most of the outbreaks after that first one were extremely mild. Perhaps it would have been best if the world had simply “let it rip.“
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada