Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2022, 06:29 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,783,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
And install Faith Goldy as PM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 07:23 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Here's an interesting article on "freedom" as a rallying cry, the article pointing out that it has become meaningless. Someone in the article is quoted as saying they noticed far right groups appearing in 2015, but I would say I noticed it in rural Manitoba the year John McCain picked Sarah Palin and Obama ran for office. (What year was that?)

I think politicos ignore or dismiss what the vibe is in rural areas and are slow to recognize that what looks like under educated bumpkins simply complaining instead of getting with the program, is actually something much more serious.

I think there is also an assumption that since democracy is clearly the best form of governance, that it is here to stay forever. I don't believe it will and I think those protesters are a symptom of the weakness in democracies.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/wha...ters-1.6349865
Well the problem is exacerbated by the conundrum of never before in history have those who are less than informed being given such a venue to express their views to just the type of audience who would give them accolades for being like minded.

Those of us who were obvious half-wits in the past were never given the opportunity to spout our nonsense, as no one we were spouting it to would have listened for even a second in any case. Now we may post all over the web and the "thumbs up" ratings start rolling in like so many 'atta-boy back-slaps', further encouraging more of the nonsense.

It's insane how truly bizarro world this has all become in such a short period of history.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:29 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
And install Faith Goldy as PM?
The two were under release in any case. The third is that crazy major who spouted off with the "tyrannical facist" craziness leaving this ex-military member to ask "is this indicative of what constitutes the best and brightest officer material" we can put forward?

His views were so off kilter and his seeming unawareness of his non existent license to spout them so publicly is so at odds with even a modicum of common sense.

His career, regardless of his past performance, is over.

Old 02-13-2022, 08:00 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
If you want to know why the police are so slow to clear the protesters, this is all you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO0xwyOX0PY

Old 02-13-2022, 08:36 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well the problem is exacerbated by the conundrum of never before in history have those who are less than informed being given such a venue to express their views to just the type of audience who would give them accolades for being like minded.

Those of us who were obvious half-wits in the past were never given the opportunity to spout our nonsense, as no one we were spouting it to would have listened for even a second in any case. Now we may post all over the web and the "thumbs up" ratings start rolling in like so many 'atta-boy back-slaps', further encouraging more of the nonsense.

It's insane how truly bizarro world this has all become in such a short period of history.
That is so true! I'd be repping this a thousand times if I could.

Old 02-13-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy dayz View Post
if you want to know why the police are so slow to clear the protesters, this is all you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so0xwyox0py
smh

Old 02-13-2022, 10:29 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
That is so true! I'd be repping this a thousand times if I could.
I got him for ya. Now you only need 999.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:32 AM

219 posts, read 161,203 times
So I’ve been listening to one of the Twitter channels that Convoy people are on. It was interesting to listen to the one Canadian trying to explain to the Americans how different things were in Canada but I think he was living in a different universe then me. One of the things he claimed was that Canadians weren’t allowed to leave the country.

Someone called in from the oil patch in Manitoba to tell them that he figured when spring breakup comes there will be 100s more willing to invade Ottawa.

If the people talking here are real, they are prepared to be around for many months. They are also planning on continuing to pick away at things until they get their way.

According to the current talker, the rest of us are just not far enough along in the 5 stages of grief to admit we have been oppressed or something like that.

Edited by deleting a line because it's the sort of information that should be exact and linked to a transcript not just going by me trying to listen and type at the same time.

Last edited by lollycat; 02-14-2022 at 12:50 AM..

Old 02-14-2022, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
so i’ve been listening to one of the twitter channels that convoy people are on. It was interesting to listen to the one canadian trying to explain to the americans how different things were in canada but i think he was living in a different universe then me. One of the things he claimed was that canadians weren’t allowed to leave the country.

Someone called in from the oil patch in manitoba to tell them that he figured when spring breakup comes there will be 100s more willing to invade ottawa.

If the people talking here are real, they are prepared to be around for many months. They are also planning on continuing to pick away at things until they get their way.

According to the current talker, the rest of us are just not far enough along in the 5 stages of grief to admit we have been oppressed or something like that.

Edited by deleting a line because it's the sort of information that should be exact and linked to a transcript not just going by me trying to listen and type at the same time.
lol!

Old 02-14-2022, 01:28 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
So I’ve been listening to one of the Twitter channels that Convoy people are on. It was interesting to listen to the one Canadian trying to explain to the Americans how different things were in Canada but I think he was living in a different universe then me. One of the things he claimed was that Canadians weren’t allowed to leave the country.
Well, that's nonsense, of course. Charter s. 6(1):

Quote:
6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.
Emphasis added by me. Canada has no exit controls, unlike many countries I've visited--Spain, Greece, the UK, and Australia would be among them. How can the Canadian government prevent Canadians from leaving, when the Charter says otherwise, and there are no exit controls to prevent them from leaving, whether it be via land, sea, air or rail ports?

Heck, my brother-in-law is currently in Los Angeles on business. How could he be, if Canadians are not allowed to leave Canada?

I would suggest that your correspondent is full of stuff. Despite what some think, neither Trudeau nor Parliament can overturn the Charter. As a wise man once said of his constitution, "It's the biggest law we've got," and given that, no legislation that Trudeau introduces will change that. Canadians are free to leave Canada as they wish to, and have always been.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 02-14-2022 at 01:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada