Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2022, 02:40 PM

2,397 posts, read 1,565,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I am concerned about western Canada though, particularly Alberta and Saskatchewan. As a result of these protests and relationships forged, I think the separatist movement will grow in popularity and accentuate the rural/urban divide.
I have been in Canada since 1994 there has always been an urban/rural divide. The number of seats in Ontario and Quebec are such that any centrist party has always been able to get elected despite it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 02:42 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
This ain't no trucker protest.

Quote:
RCMP arrest 11 Coutts protesters on weapons-related charges

At approximately 8:00 pm on Sunday, a large farm tractor and a semi-truck, both involved in the blockade, allegedly attempted to ram a police vehicle. The officer was able to reposition themselves and avoid the collision.

The driver of the tractor was identified and police are working to locate him so he can be arrested. The tractor and semi have been seized.

Altogether, 11 people were arrested and three trailers were connected to what RCMP say is a “criminal organization.”

The following items were confiscated by RCMP.

13 long guns
Handguns
Multiple sets of body armour
A machete
A large quantity of ammunition
High capacity magazines
RCMP arrest 11 Coutts protesters on weapons-related charges _ Lethbridge News Now

Old 02-14-2022, 02:48 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There is something called Bridge City News in Lethbridge which is some sort of Christian broadcasting whatever. The Springs Church here Sent a news crew to Ottawa https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...576176972.html (if it isn't behind a pay wall)

Old 02-14-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I have been in Canada since 1994 there has always been an urban/rural divide. The number of seats in Ontario and Quebec are such that any centrist party has always been able to get elected despite it
But when half the country is ignored on a regular basis and feels they don't have a say, that lays the groundwork for future problems like this. I don't know what the solution is but I know there is a problem.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:51 PM

35,060 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Revolution? No. Reveal-ution ( made up a new word! ) yes.

This pandemic has revealed how easy it is, to manipulate people, and have them stop using common sense.

You can't reason with people who refute facts, even when presented with them.

There was one Ottawa resident in an interview, mentioned something along the lines, that it was difficult trying to deal with people who failed Civics class.
It's not just Civics, but history. Comparing themselves ( the unvaccinated ) to Jews in the Holocaust is SO ignorant, and extremely offensive.

Like you say though, they are a minority who make a lot of noise.
That is a ridiculous comparison, which I know the poster did not make. Being unvaccinated is an irrational choice. Being Jewish is quite a rational choice.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
There is something called Bridge City News in Lethbridge which is some sort of Christian broadcasting whatever. The Springs Church here Sent a news crew to Ottawa https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...576176972.html (if it isn't behind a pay wall)
IMO Leon Fontaine, and his crew, have preconceived notions of what is happening in Ottawa, and their reports will probably reflect that.

Stating "If you’ve ever felt like the last two years has been an absolute vacuum of common sense and reason, the sheer number of donations and the speed at which this thing has been galvanized just proved that you are not alone."

shows his bias.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
IMO Leon Fontaine, and his crew, have preconceived notions of what is happening in Ottawa, and their reports will probably reflect that.

Stating "If you’ve ever felt like the last two years has been an absolute vacuum of common sense and reason, the sheer number of donations and the speed at which this thing has been galvanized just proved that you are not alone."

shows his bias.
He is totally biased. I've heard that church referred to by other pastors as a personality cult.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
But when half the country is ignored on a regular basis and feels they don't have a say, that lays the groundwork for future problems like this. I don't know what the solution is but I know there is a problem.
The problem is the right wing cannot seem to make a break through in central Canada. Stephen Harper got close but it wasn’t enough. I don’t see any prospect of the current Conservative party challenging the Liberals

Old 02-14-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
The problem is the right wing cannot seem to make a break through in central Canada. Stephen Harper got close but it wasn’t enough. I don’t see any prospect of the current Conservative party challenging the Liberals
I don't either but that doesn't mean the problem of western Canada should be ignored. There were several ridings in which the PPC got a lot of votes. And the Conservative party, flailing around, is likely to swing right, centre, right, right, in an effort to hang onto their base. But a lot of their base is going to go further right, imo. It's just not healthy for the country as a whole.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I don't either but that doesn't mean the problem of western Canada should be ignored. There were several ridings in which the PPC got a lot of votes. And the Conservative party, flailing around, is likely to swing right, centre, right, right, in an effort to hang onto their base. But a lot of their base is going to go further right, imo. It's just not healthy for the country as a whole.
I suppose it depends how you define the problem of western Canada. It will take a constitutional earthquake to allow any notion of separation to really threaten the federal government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada