Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2022, 01:56 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong. Don't be naive okay, be investigative yourself and ask speculative questions. Do you believe that person is behaving like a real cop? The article you posted states right in it that the fellow has not been identified as a police officer, nobody knows the location of where the video was taken and an investigation is underway. It does not say anywhere that the guy is OPP and there's no indication anywhere in the article that indicates that the real police believe the guy could be a police officer. All the article speaks of is the apparent unprofessionalism of the person presenting himself as an officer.

Try to understand this: The guy is NOT wearing an OPP uniform or OPP arm patches or anything remotely like an OPP uniform or other official ID that could identify him and he's wearing the wrong colours. He's not even wearing a badge nor a hat (let alone no hat with a badge on it) and that is not legal in Canada because the hat and the badge is a legal form of identification and in most circumstances without it when outside of the car talking to people an officer without the hat on is out of uniform ....... plus he's exposed and unsafe because he's not conspicuously visible or identifiable to oncoming traffic. Highway cops can get killed that way.

There's a whole bunch of things wrong about that whole video.

He's an imposter impersonating a police officer which, in Canada at least, is a serious crime. There is an investigation happening so they can identify the guy. The driver of the car and the woman who was recording the interaction had to have known about the impersonation and since they are the ones who posted the video they will be investigated too so the identification of the false cop can be determined.
You are misquoting the article. There is no debate that the person in the video is an officer with the OPP.

Quote:
The officer in the video has not been identified, and the exact location of the traffic stop is not known.
Maybe English is not your first language. So let me help you understand that. He is an officer, but he has not been identified. Which is standard procedure in most police departments / services in North America and probably the world. The OPP is not denying that he is one of their officers. That's why they have launched and internal investigation.

As to your second point about him not wearing a badge and a hat, a quick Google Image search for OPP officer, and I can't find even one example of a OPP cop wearing a badge. I presume they are issued badges, but they don't seem to be wearing them much, or at all. Hats seem to also be optional.

I agree that cops not wearing badges and hats is unprofessional, and I don't think that any citizen should have to pay any attention to any cop not wearing them, but that's only my opinion. I don't have a choice.

I will say one thing, looking at the images and videos, the Canadian cops who do wear hats are generally wearing professional looking peaked hats. That's a big step above the baseball caps that most American cops wear these days. Which would make even a fast food worker look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 01:59 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Trump supporter Mike Lindell and 10,000 of his pillows destined for the protesters denied entry to Canada: https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...voy-protestors

Old 02-16-2022, 02:05 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
incredible. Bulford is ex RCMP I think, he really should know better than to mislead innocent people into walking into a really really serous situation, there will be no more bouncy castles and vodka jello shooters at this party
Bulford is actually a former member of the Prime Minister's personal security detail!

Old 02-16-2022, 02:39 PM

31 posts, read 23,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You are misquoting the article. There is no debate that the person in the video is an officer with the OPP.

Maybe English is not your first language. So let me help you understand that. He is an officer, but he has not been identified. Which is standard procedure in most police departments / services in North America and probably the world. The OPP is not denying that he is one of their officers. That's why they have launched and internal investigation.

As to your second point about him not wearing a badge and a hat, a quick Google Image search for OPP officer, and I can't find even one example of a OPP cop wearing a badge. I presume they are issued badges, but they don't seem to be wearing them much, or at all. Hats seem to also be optional.

I agree that cops not wearing badges and hats is unprofessional, and I don't think that any citizen should have to pay any attention to any cop not wearing them, but that's only my opinion. I don't have a choice.

I will say one thing, looking at the images and videos, the Canadian cops who do wear hats are generally wearing professional looking peaked hats. That's a big step above the baseball caps that most American cops wear these days. Which would make even a fast food worker look bad.
Not sure what any of this has to do with American police, or your seeming need to bring them into the discussion, but you seem to not understand why American police wear various articles under different circumstances. Police are issued the more formal hats, but they typically don't wear them except for specific circumstances. The ball cap hats are used as "field" or duty uniforms because they are versatile, can be worn in various weather conditions, the officer doesn't have to be concerned about ruining it performing some duties, and they are easily replaced if they are damaged or lost. That doesn't make your police one bit better than ours. Apparently, yours simply have different customs. Nothing wrong or surprising about that.

American military personnel also wear ball cap type caps under certain circumstances too. Not every duty calls for A formalized presentation in our services.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:43 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernOpposum View Post
Not sure what any of this has to do with American police, or your seeming need to bring them into the discussion, but you seem to not understand why American police wear various articles under different circumstances. Police are issued the more formal hats, but they typically don't wear them except for specific circumstances. The ball cap hats are used as "field" or duty uniforms because they are versatile, can be worn in various weather conditions, the officer doesn't have to be concerned about ruining it performing some duties, and they are easily replaced if they are damaged or lost. That doesn't make your police one bit better than ours. Apparently, yours simply have different customs. Nothing wrong or surprising about that.
Cloudy Dayz is American.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bulford is actually a former member of the Prime Minister's personal security detail!
Bulford. It sounds like a TV police drama.

BULFORD?! Good cop, bad cop? You decide.

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-16-2022 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-16-2022, 03:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 1,572,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even worse

Old 02-16-2022, 03:41 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernOpposum View Post

American military personnel also wear ball cap type caps under certain circumstances too. Not every duty calls for A formalized presentation in our services.
Until recently all American cops wore peaked hats for all occasions, just like what Canadian cops wear, except without the colored bands. Supposedly the 1981 TV show Hill Street Blues started the trend of cops wearing baseball caps.

Until recently American cops also wore metal badges. But now most just have badges imprinted onto their shirts, or just have a patch with the word "Police". Which seems to be a trend in Canada too, at least for the OPP. That seems to be what caused Zoisite's confusion into thinking that the OPP cop in the video was not a real cop.

Which highlights a problem for both Canada and the US. When you start dumbing down police uniforms, it makes it hard for the general public to recognize police officers, and it makes it easier for police impersonators to impersonate a cop. With some of the crappy police uniforms in use these days, you can literally make your own police uniform for a few dollars.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:56 PM

Latest Nanos poll results:
Quote:
Nanos Research's Nik Nanos said that the percentage of Canadians polled who would consider voting for the People's Party of Canada (PPC) usually sits at around 10 per cent. But as of Feb. 16, that number has gone up to 16 per cent, which Nanos calls a "material increase."

On the ballot question, when it comes to how many Canadians would actually vote for the party as their first ranked choice, the PPC is polling at seven per cent nationally, ahead of the Green party and on par with the Bloc Quebecois.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/tren...anos-1.5783747

Old 02-16-2022, 04:05 PM

Julia Davis, columnist at Daily Beast, Russia Media Analyst:
Quote:
Guess who is churning out the most coverage of the Canadian trucker protests? If you guessed #Russia's state media outlet RT, you're correct.

(Bar chart included in tweet.)
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/s...66152216854528
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada