Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2022, 10:57 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,970,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Your last sentence is an important point to understand and I respect the general sentiment of your statements here. However, we have to acknowledge there is free speech, and then there is peaceful protest, then there's obnoxious public demonstration, and then there is terrorism. China crushes all of these. We in Canada and the U.S. celebrate the first two (free speech and peaceful protest), we tolerate the third (obnoxious demonstrations), but we must never accept that fourth one (terrorism.) This current mess in Canada mostly started out as an embarrassing national nuisance but it has turned into something far too serious to ignore or coddle. The tactics being used by the "truckers" are designed to terrorize innocent citizens and cause widespread suffering. We absolutely can not allow this!
In the USA, free speech includes that people can infringe on the rights of strangers, including homophobically attending funerals of gay soldiers who are strangers. Their right to voice an opinion regardless of final rights. They do not have to respect the rights of others in expressing their own opinion in person.

Years ago I was curious about the difference between Canadian free speech and USA free speech. The best I could understand is that Canada includes the caviat : respect the autonomy of others. That means that protesters have the right to protest with a permit provided they do not interfere with the rights of others.

These protesters have repeatedly violated the autonomy of others during their "freedom" protest/occupation. The horns alone breach respecting the rights of other Canadians.

Police need to uphold the law that legal protesters to not infringe on the rights of others. The people who are blocking international borders? They are not anti-mandate people. They have a different agenda that seems to include destroying the Canadian economy in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I hope so. I hope authorities start to take action against this group of rowdy, aimless partiers lighting fires on the streets of Ottawa and giving away diapers. We know they know how to follow instructions. Someone says: drive to the bridge, they drive.

This seems like a lot of people with a grade 5 education claim that Canada is a Polish communist country, that news is bots, that vaccines are implants, that police will give curfew, give arrest, give jail, give fine, then take it all away and lock people in homes with no rights.

It looks like a de-programming problem to me.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:18 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's worse. Ottawa police say there was a concerted effort today to swamp their 911 system with calls and crash it.
I just watched that on the CBC news. That really bothered me. Now you're just screwing with people's lives.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:19 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I was talking about the Christian cross on it. Not the symmetric crosses found on half the flags in the world.
Yeah, was watching the Olympics and noted Norway's flag, too.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:39 PM

Provincial health officers have advised that restrictions be added or removed based on whether hospitals can manage case loads for two years. Pandemic restrictions have been repeatedly implemented and removed during that time. Of course that will continue. Today, Omicron has reportedly peaked. Naturally restrictions are reduced, like always.

The government has no history of implementing restrictions longer than necessary. Last Summer, there were next to no restrictions. Even masking restrictions were loose. There's no need to blockade an international border to ensure that restrictions come and go as needed, and as usual, based on national health care needs.

This protest seems to be an over-exaggerated, and in bad faith response to an imaginary problem.

Provincial Health Officers, and the politicians who deliver their message, base decisions on hospital capacity and triage. If truckers don't want to listen, that is their right BUT this protest is a little over the top with demands by truck drivers that University students cannot expect masks in class during pandemic.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:40 AM

31 posts, read 23,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
In the USA, free speech includes that people can infringe on the rights of strangers, including homophobically attending funerals of gay soldiers who are strangers. Their right to voice an opinion regardless of final rights. They do not have to respect the rights of others in expressing their own opinion in person.

Years ago I was curious about the difference between Canadian free speech and USA free speech. The best I could understand is that Canada includes the caviat : respect the autonomy of others. That means that protesters have the right to protest with a permit provided they do not interfere with the rights of others.

These protesters have repeatedly violated the autonomy of others during their "freedom" protest/occupation. The horns alone breach respecting the rights of other Canadians.

Police need to uphold the law that legal protesters to not infringe on the rights of others. The people who are blocking international borders? They are not anti-mandate people. They have a different agenda that seems to include destroying the Canadian economy in the process.
That isn't entirely accurate. Americans are absolutely guaranteed free speech by the Constitution's 1st. Amendment ... part of the Bill of Rights, but they are now allowed to break laws in exercising it. If there are anti noise ordinances, for example, those still apply. Also, speaking in libelous ways that spread untruths about others is subject to civil penalties in court.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:09 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times
Personally, I think Poilievier has stepped in it big time. He's done the quick and easy thing of aligning himself with these noisy people. I hope it BITES him. The conservatives can, and should, do better than a squeeky shih tzu ankle biter.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...uty?li=AAggNb9

Old 02-11-2022, 07:19 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,823,828 times
Do you wish Canada still had the War Measures Act?

Old 02-11-2022, 07:42 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,430,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Personally, I think Poilievier has stepped in it big time. He's done the quick and easy thing of aligning himself with these noisy people. I hope it BITES him. The conservatives can, and should, do better than a squeeky shih tzu ankle biter.
He exposed himself which is good!! A lot of theses cons are showing their true colors.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:27 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,587,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...uty?li=AAggNb9
he is dumber than I thought if he says that after his boss has called for them to go home, he really needs to read between the lines and distance himself from a group who are increasingly having their true motives exposed, which would see him possibly out of a job. Blaming Trudeau is his go to for everything which , as I have said before makes him the ideal opposition MP and frankly unfit for anything else. He could easily have outlined his parties demands for the easing of restrictions plan that Bergen wants Trudeau to present to parliament
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada