Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 12:00 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
What about creating incentives to increase birth rate of the people already in Canada? Like with the simplest change in the tax code to encourage stay home moms. Racist, I know. Not progressive. Moms? What's that? What are their pronouns?
Well, fairly recently the federal government started taking steps to make something similar to Quebec's subsidized daycare network (which has existed for about 20 years in this province) available in all provinces across the country.

Stuff like that is known to encourage young couples to have more kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 12:17 PM

100 posts, read 93,794 times
That's not even a step. That's nothing but virtue signaling. Allowing one T1 per family would be the step.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
There are other economic things we can do to increase our GDP without relying so much on population growth. A big one is increasing productivity through technology investments. I do like the subsidized daycare piece however - I think it was a huge impediment for young families but finding affordable daycare would be a big boon. I also think the general issue of affordability will naw at young people's ability to raise a family. If you can't afford to live outside your mom and dad's basement than it will be difficult to raise kids.

So there are a bunch of structural things we can do that I don't think we've done enough of. Immigration right now is exacerbating these structural issues but it isn't the cause - we need to look at the root problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Anything that's remotely pro-immigration = non-racist

Anything that's not sufficiently pro-immigration = racist
I know a lot of visible minorities who feel too many are coming in right now given the circumstances surrounding housing and COL.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-30-2023 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-30-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Like with the simplest change in the tax code to encourage stay home moms. Racist, I know. Not progressive. Moms? What's that? What are their pronouns?
Why stay at home moms... I know a stay at home dad because his wife makes 2X what he could command. Also what does pronouns have to do with anything. You talk about virtue signalling but maybe you are dog whistling..

Old 10-30-2023, 12:49 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,864 times
I’m not concerned personally with the 500k PRs being granted. The issue is the vast expansion of the TFW program and the lax rules for student visas which are both being exploited by industries, particularly the food service industry, to pay non competitive wages for labour. It goes against free market principles and is bad for the standard of living in our economy. Ax those programs to reasonable numbers and the actual PRs being granted is totally feasible.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

I know a lot of visible minorities who feel too many are coming in right now given the circumstances surrounding housing and COL.
Me too.

This is causing a "bzzz, does not compute!" in a lot of people's very linear brains at the moment.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
That's not even a step. That's nothing but virtue signaling. Allowing one T1 per family would be the step.
It's arguably had a tangible impact on both birthrates and women's participation rate in the workforce in the two decades we've had it in Quebec.

Old 10-30-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I’m not concerned personally with the 500k PRs being granted. The issue is the vast expansion of the TFW program and the lax rules for student visas which are both being exploited by industries, particularly the food service industry, to pay non competitive wages for labour. It goes against free market principles and is bad for the standard of living in our economy. Ax those programs to reasonable numbers and the actual PRs being granted is totally feasible.
Don't you think until we get our gears going with housing though that half a million is a bit high. in the early 2010's it was like 250K which seems pretty reasonable for a country our size. I'm good with half million but when those half million are having a heck of a time finding affordable housing its only putting greater strain on the overall housing market.

But if it were 'just' half million that is one thing - I thing on top of that we let in almost 800K students. That is 1.3 million in only 1 year. Students still need housing. I don't know how anyone can think this is something we can absorb. Even students are asking wtf.....how could anyone allow this to happen.

Old 10-30-2023, 01:54 PM

100 posts, read 93,794 times
Quote:
Why stay at home moms... I know a stay at home dad because his wife makes 2X what he could command. Also what does pronouns have to do with anything. You talk about virtue signalling but maybe you are dog whistling..
Moms, dads... what if there is two moms and three dads family? 2S family? All there left is to spin this red herring around hoping it will build back better. Or pull a fur clad Nigerian off the bus from JFK to do it for us. No need to whistle the dog. The dog is here. Panting. Bigly.

Old 10-30-2023, 02:33 PM

1,226 posts, read 500,040 times
Quote:

That is how I feel and not just because of housing and COL. Things are actually much worse than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada