Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 09:24 AM

1,228 posts, read 502,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My kids have a number of foreign students in their entourage. They're allowed to work 20 hours a week but if they work more than that they risk having their privileges cancelled and being sent home.

They know of one who was working 30 hours to make ends meet plus attending all her classes and doing well. She got caught and was expelled from Canada. Sounds pretty harsh and even stupid as we have a labour shortage plus she's working contributing to the economy and paying taxes!
Sounds harsh but rules are rules. Where there are labor shortages then that should be addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 09:28 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,535,357 times
How the baby boomer exodus will imbalance the Canadian workplace:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ian-workplace/ (no paywall)

Old 10-31-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
'Record spike' in number of immigrants leaving Canada in recent years, study says:

https://financialpost.com/news/econo...leaving-canada (no paywall)
I have seen videos on youtube of immigrants telling other immigrants to get your citizenship and use it to get to other countries. The main reasons is the same thing that was written in that article....

Quote:
“We are now seeing people who are coming to Canada and then saying, ‘Ah, no thanks,’ and moving on,” Daniel Bernhard, ICC’s chief executive, said. “And the number of those people are increasing. We have to believe that the lack of availability of housing, of health care, of other types of services are part of it.
\

I have also heard immigrants complain that there already too many immigrants here. It's not the immigrants themselves they complain about but alot of the baggage that comes with it. You come expecting one thing but get another. Some neighbor hoods in this country don't feel like Canada anymore.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I have seen videos on youtube of immigrants telling other immigrants to get your citizenship and use it to get to other countries. The main reasons is the same thing that was written in that article....

\

I have also heard immigrants complain that there already too many immigrants here. It's not the immigrants themselves they complain about but alot of the baggage that comes with it. You come expecting one thing but get another. Some neighbor hoods in this country don't feel like Canada anymore.
Some people might ask: what is "Canada" supposed to feel like, anyway?

(Similarly, some people scoff or chuckle at the notion of Canadian values, and say that Canadian values can be basically any values that anyone who happens to be living in Canada might have. This mindset of course is what leads us to what we've been seeing on the streets of our cities since Oct. 7.)

Old 10-31-2023, 09:57 AM
pdw

2,676 posts, read 3,098,337 times
Quote:
My kids have a number of foreign students in their entourage. They're allowed to work 20 hours a week but if they work more than that they risk having their privileges cancelled and being sent home.

They know of one who was working 30 hours to make ends meet plus attending all her classes and doing well. She got caught and was expelled from Canada. Sounds pretty harsh and even stupid as we have a labour shortage plus she's working contributing to the economy and paying taxes!
I disagree, personally. The majority of intl students attend public colleges and some private “diploma mill” type businesses. Why would someone come to Canada purely for their studies if they’re going to choose these programs rather than attending university and pursuing a degree here? University students are generally very busy with school and don’t have time to work almost full time. Here in Ontario I believe all limits on working hours have been eliminated due to pressure from the food service industry to allow it. Rather than raise wages like has been happening in high COL areas in the states, the labour force in the food service industry is now dominated by students on temporary visas. I have nothing against these students, the system in place without limits on enrolment and without the colleges building residences has also exploded the housing crisis in obscure smaller towns throughout Canada which happen to have a public technical college because rather than most students commuting from home, most now are scrambling to find rooms to rent even in places like Timmins I’ve heard. Having a world class post secondary education to offer is something we should pride ourselves on as a country, but these are not typically why these visas are granted

Old 10-31-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:

(Similarly, some people scoff or chuckle at the notion of Canadian values, and say that Canadian values can be basically any values that anyone who happens to be living in Canada might have. This mindset of course is what leads us to what we've been seeing on the streets of our cities since Oct. 7.)

This is something I have heard even refugees complain about. They are not complaining about individuals or any particular group but I have heard them complain, "How am I supposed to learn proper English when nobody in my apartment building and neighborhood speaks English?" Or they speak it poorly. How are these people supposed to properly integrate??

Old 10-31-2023, 09:59 AM

335 posts, read 155,367 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what Canada is supposed to feel like, but I do recall my father stating "this isn't the country I grew up in" as he got on in years. I used to roll my eyes when he said it. Now that I am about that age myself, I know exactly what he was talking about.

Old 10-31-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
I'm not sure what Canada is supposed to feel like, but I do recall my father stating "this isn't the country I grew up in" as he got on in years. I used to roll my eyes when he said it. Now that I am about that age myself, I know exactly what he was talking about.
I find myself saying the samething.

Old 10-31-2023, 10:04 AM

100 posts, read 93,851 times
Ask yourselves why is this being done everywhere at once: here, Rio Grande, Lampedusa? Don't shy away from the answer.

Old 10-31-2023, 10:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Coming from me, this will be a bit of a different take, but it's never been consistently "the country that (older generations) grew up in".

The 30s were different from the 20s, the 80s were different from the 70s. There has always been change.

Though perhaps what is different now is the level and pace of change?

I am in my 50s now and yes the changes do seem overwhelming at times (depending on where I am in the country, but generally any place that is economically vibrant and desirable is feeling it) so I too find myself thinking this isn't the country I grew up in.

But then I wonder if it just isn't me becoming an old fogey.

Or is this time... different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada