Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 02:49 PM

1,229 posts, read 507,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
What about creating incentives to increase birth rate of the people already in Canada??
Won't happen. Too many people here have a negatvie attitudes towards having children and forming families. Visectomies are sharply increasing among young single men. I personally know a 22 and 24 year old talking about getting them. Several of my coworkers in their early 30s have them.When I was younger the only people getting them were older married men who had kids already. To suggest getting one to a younger guy in my day was an insult.

The majority of people I work with are between the ages of 30-45. Only myself and a FIlipino guy have kids. There is one young lady at work that is currently pregnant. The family of the babies father rejected the young lady because she is not of their religion.I won't say what religion it is but it is sadly one of the most insular, intolerant and rapidly increasing religions here in Canada.

Things are not looking good here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 03:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,898,292 times
Quote:
Moms, dads... what if there is two moms and three dads family? 2S family? All there left is to spin this red herring around hoping it will build back better. Or pull a fur clad Nigerian off the bus from JFK to do it for us. No need to whistle the dog. The dog is here. Panting. Bigly.
the LGBTQ plus community makes up about 4 percent of the Canadian population (not all of them don't have kids either). 96 percent is not so the problem of natural growth if you want that to increase, doesn't reside in the LGBTQ plus community. You can obsess and reference (oddly the community in this tread), but it not where the focus of your panting should be.....you're barking up the wrong tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
That is how I feel and not just because of housing and COL. Things are actually much worse than that.
As I said, I know a few students in my city. 2 Indian and 1 Brazilian and 2 of 3 are not able to find a part time job. They were banking on that to help finance the costs of their education/housing/food etc. They don't know if they will be able to move on passed this year. I had no idea it was that bad and I thought there was this huge labour shortage but when you speak to real people on the ground the struggles for them becomes real. I think our Politicians at all levels need to start understanding what is happening on the ground to all these people.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-30-2023 at 03:47 PM..

Old 10-30-2023, 03:32 PM

100 posts, read 93,968 times
Quote:
Won't happen. Too many people here have a negatvie attitudes towards having children and forming families. Visectomies are sharply increasing among young single men. I personally know a 22 and 24 year old talking about getting them. Several of my coworkers in their early 30s have them.When I was younger the only people getting them were older married men who had kids already. To suggest getting one to a younger guy in my day was an insult.

The majority of people I work with are between the ages of 30-45. Only myself and a FIlipino guy have kids. There is one young lady at work that is currently pregnant. The family of the babies father rejected the young lady because she is not of their religion.I won't say what religion it is but it is sadly one of the most insular, intolerant and rapidly increasing religions here in Canada.

Things are not looking good here.
The attitudes would change with incentives. There is the reason why the governments of the for not so long 1st world counties prefer to bring people from outside rather than make steps to grow population organically. The reason is not difficult to grasp. I know it, you know it, the last bum living in a shopping card behind Tim Hortons knows it.

Old 10-30-2023, 03:33 PM
pdw

2,680 posts, read 3,100,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Don't you think until we get our gears going with housing though that half a million is a bit high. in the early 2010's it was like 250K which seems pretty reasonable for a country our size. I'm good with half million but when those half million are having a heck of a time finding affordable housing its only putting greater strain on the overall housing market.

But if it were 'just' half million that is one thing - I thing on top of that we let in almost 800K students. That is 1.3 million in only 1 year. Students still need housing. I don't know how anyone can think this is something we can absorb. Even students are asking wtf.....how could anyone allow this to happen.
Yeah even in sheer numbers I believe Canada has more population growth than the States right now. This is as a percentage and in actual numbers. Pretty wild to think about. Corporate donors know per capita productivity is declining which means markets and our annual GDP would be declining too without a certain amount of immigration. It’s probably a matter of delaying an inevitable recession if I’m being pessimistic, a matter of hot potato for who gets stuck with the big crash. I think if social housing funded by taxpayers is built en masse, like Chow has proposed in Toronto, we can have non-market options for renters so this low vacancy market becomes more affordable. Developers just aren’t building enough rentals on their own because condos are more profitable and they can pass down the burden of managing the property onto investors renting out individual condos. Fixing the rental market is step one, and I think more tax payers could actually help with that, but obviously this is a long term type plan. Short term, you’re right lowering immigration would probably cause prices to cool a bit, but I don’t see any appetite for that at the political level. Pollievre has made no indication he’d make any changes to the course we’re headed in immigration wise, and neither has Singh. I don’t see it happening, but maybe if individuals start getting more involved in politics and donating, etc they won’t be as scared from the corporate pressure to raise immigration targets. Still, maybe this boost in immigration will mean long term more entrepreneurs and new diversity in our economy so Canada become a global leader in different industries. That’s what I’m hoping will happen with a larger 500k target

Old 10-31-2023, 04:48 AM

73 posts, read 138,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are correct to point out that Canada's population is multi-racial, but it's also true that in Canada the immigration debate is generally framed as such:

Anything that's remotely pro-immigration = non-racist

Anything that's not sufficiently pro-immigration = racist
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Short term, you’re right lowering immigration would probably cause prices to cool a bit, but I don’t see any appetite for that at the political level.
Well then some feelings are going to need to be hurt, some people are going to have to get offended and people are going to have to eat it regardless if they have an appetite for it or not.

Doesn't matter how anything is "FRAMED", this is a discussion that needed to happen LAST year.
The way things are and the way things are headed is NOT sustainable.

Another thing that needs to be dealt with is overseas investors hoarding properties. That vacant property tax should be at LEAST 20-25%.

Time to get those shovels in the ground and start building. Not next month but next week.

Children (those with super senstive feelings) please go to the playroom so the adults can have a discussion.

Old 10-31-2023, 06:01 AM

335 posts, read 155,882 times
Quote:
What about creating incentives to increase birth rate of the people already in Canada?
Canada started removing incentives for Canadians to have kids back in the 80's. My wife and I are considered upper-middle class in Canada without a mortgage and I couldn't imagine being able to afford to raise a child with the amount of taxes we have to pay, and that was before the current administration drove inflation up with their utterly irresponsible economic policies.

The bottom line is during the COVID lockdowns, a great many Boomers dropped out of the workforce and took early retirement, with nobody to replace them with. This has resulted in a complete lack of tradesmen to actually build enough housing for the coming immigrants. More demand and less supply will result in higher prices for both rents and homes. All I can hope for is the value of my home to eventually hit $2 million so I can cash out, move someplace a lot more affordable and live out the rest of my days on a beach like a king.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:16 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
In fairness the Trudeau Liberals introduced the Canada Child Benefit payment which helps families with kids, though if your family income is over 75k you are no longer eligible for it.

I'll leave it up to others to debate whether 75k for a family is "middle class" or not in 2023 Canada.

Some provinces also have what you might call "baby bonus" payments that may or may not be means-tested. Quebec certainly does, though Quebec probably has the most family-friendly tax and benefit set-up in North America, from cradle to university all things considered.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:13 AM

1,229 posts, read 507,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

As I said, I know a few students in my city. 2 Indian and 1 Brazilian and 2 of 3 are not able to find a part time job. They were banking on that to help finance the costs of their education/housing/food etc. They don't know if they will be able to move on passed this year. I had no idea it was that bad and I thought there was this huge labour shortage but when you speak to real people on the ground the struggles for them becomes real. I think our Politicians at all levels need to start understanding what is happening on the ground to all these people.
When I lived in Toronto I actually had a room mate that was a foreign student. If I remember correctly, foreign students were not allowed to even work, and take jobs from Canadians back then. I am not sure when that changed but maybe we should go back to that.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:16 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
Quote:
When I lived in Toronto I actually had a room mate that was a foreign student. If I remember correctly, foreign students were not allowed to even work, and take jobs from Canadians back then. I am not sure when that changed but maybe we should go back to that.
My kids have a number of foreign students in their entourage. They're allowed to work 20 hours a week but if they work more than that they risk having their privileges cancelled and being sent home.

They know of one who was working 30 hours to make ends meet plus attending all her classes and doing well. She got caught and was expelled from Canada. Sounds pretty harsh and even stupid as we have a labour shortage plus she's working contributing to the economy and paying taxes!

Old 10-31-2023, 09:16 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,538,623 times
'Record spike' in number of immigrants leaving Canada in recent years, study says:

https://financialpost.com/news/econo...leaving-canada (no paywall)

Quote:
Abnormally high number of immigrants granted permanent residence between 1982 and 2018 left between 2016 and 2019
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada