Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry char.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Oh char, that sucks so bad. I believe everything happens for a reason, but I just don't understand some things, like why children lose parents like that.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:30 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
char, there is so much in life that can never be explained, nor will we ever understand. Sorry for the loss of your friend, and the others that have been lost because of some random cell.

It certainly brings home the idea that we should treasure the time we have because we can't know how much of it there is.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Sending you so many hugs and healing thoughts, Charley.

One of my close friends from cancer camp passed away last week. She had been fighting breast cancer for the past 5/6 years, with recurrence after recurrence, even after a double mastectomy. I'm devastated - she was just 38 years old with a 3 year old son. She found out about her first recurrence while pregnant with him.

Even after popping a chemo pill and feeling like absolute ****, she would strap on her helmet and go climbing with the best of us. This disease is so ****ing unfair. Her son lost his mother - and his only memories of her will be in the context of illness since she has been in and out of the hospital for his entire life. When I last spoke to her last month, she seemed well and was planning his 4th birthday party in a few weeks.

This journey has introduced me to a proximity to death that I never experienced before. None have hit me so hard as this.
losing friends is always a hard thing to accept, maybe even harder than losing a parent when the parent is very aged. I am so sorry for you, but I do believe there is a reason for everything that happens in our lives. For her, you came into her life and became her friend for a reason and you got to know her, for a reason. Even her death had a reason, even if we do not understand that reason all the time.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times

Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Since the other thread involving cancer research is closed, I thought I'd post this link here; the article is worth reading.
"It would be fair to say that Patient 5 owes his life to medical research. Also known as David Aponte, he was the headlining success story from a recent clinical trial at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Moderator cut: quote 1-2 sentences and give link. See TOS "
Don't cut lifesaving dollars - latimes.com

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-04-2013 at 06:24 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM

238 posts, read 590,028 times
Just received word a former neighbor of mine died Wednesday from cancer ( age 62)

Despite fundraisers to pay for every imagineable treatment under the sun, he has passed away.

Why do some doctors and some cancer clinics insist on sucking every penny they can when they know it is hopeless?

Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM

133 posts, read 249,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
Why do some doctors and some cancer clinics insist on sucking every penny they can when they know it is hopeless?

I worked as a palliative care nurse and I know many oncologists who are only interested in "treatment" even if there is no hope for remission. I know someone who had prostate cancer spread to bones and lungs, yet, his oncologist insisted to give him radiation therapy for prostate cancer. When I asked this MD for opioid pain medication, he refused to give him prescription because it is "addictive"!!!! He was in so much pain and could not leave home. It was horrible. Also, most of oncologists do not believe in hospice/palliative care because it is "failure" for them.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesca923 View Post
I worked as a palliative care nurse and I know many oncologists who are only interested in "treatment" even if there is no hope for remission. I know someone who had prostate cancer spread to bones and lungs, yet, his oncologist insisted to give him radiation therapy for prostate cancer. When I asked this MD for opioid pain medication, he refused to give him prescription because it is "addictive"!!!! He was in so much pain and could not leave home. It was horrible. Also, most of oncologists do not believe in hospice/palliative care because it is "failure" for them.
I don't know if your situation is unusual or not, but I can assure you that is not the siuation we have here in NWA. the doctors are caring, they do not want patients to suffer, they often recommend hospice for those reaching the last stages of life. So did the doctors in NM. When my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year it was decided by the oncologist and the urologist not to do surgery but to do radiation and homones. Luckily it worked. Before making the decision they checked to make sure it had not matasticized. The same with his lipo sarcoma. I can't say enough about our doctors here, overall. We have been very pleased and the ones we have not liked we have not returned to, but found other choices.ii

Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM

133 posts, read 249,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know if your situation is unusual or not, but I can assure you that is not the siuation we have here in NWA. the doctors are caring, they do not want patients to suffer, they often recommend hospice for those reaching the last stages of life. So did the doctors in NM. When my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year it was decided by the oncologist and the urologist not to do surgery but to do radiation and homones. Luckily it worked. Before making the decision they checked to make sure it had not matasticized. The same with his lipo sarcoma. I can't say enough about our doctors here, overall. We have been very pleased and the ones we have not liked we have not returned to, but found other choices.ii
I am relieved to hear there are compassionate doctors!! Just to let you know, my experiences were from NYC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer