Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,976 times

Advertisements

i am having this procedure done tomorrow and they want to leave the 'port" behind for good, is this normal? never heard of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,792 times
I had a core needle biopsy yesterday. It was not horrible. I had a very sweet nurse, sweet technician and the surgeon was very nice, too. They explained everything to me step by step.; I laid on a table with my breast hanging down through a hole in the table. It had a mammogram machine underneath. They used that to pinpoint the exact spot where the calcification was. Then they numbed my breast and then numbed it deeper. I will admit that did not feel good, but it only lasted a few seconds. It was a stick and then the medicine burned. Then when they were ready for the biopsy, the nurse said it will feel like an "electric staticy roter rooter" and that's exactly what it felt like. The surgeon said this will take SIX seconds and that was right, too. After that, they told me to take whatever I take for a headache. I have a little swelling, some bruising and I'm tender and sore, but no pain at all. I left the hospital, got lunch and went shopping. I went out with friends for dinner and had a busy day today. They told me I could do whatever I felt like doing. I hope I never have to do it again,but now that I know what to expect, I wouldn't be scared. I am supposed to find out the results in about three days. The surgeon says "statistically" he thinks I am fine, but of course there is always a chance of bad news. I have tried not to worry about it. Hope yours goes well. Don't be scared.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 10,673 times
Default Core Biopsy. Get it done. It really doesnt hurt

I almost didnt go because of the ridiculous people posting things to srace the hell out of others. I lost sleep and stressed about this for 2 weeks. I finally got the guts to go and guess what> I did not feel a thing. Not even the needle for numming. So I am here to tell anyone who is afraid, dont listen to the people who haave these hrerific tales about how bad it was. Because it really wasn't. Feel free to contact me if you need re-assurance

Old 04-14-2011, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 10,613 times
My first experience with a sterioscopic biopsy was awful because I wasn't mentally or spiritually prepared for the procedure. I started to pass out in the middle of the procedure and they were not able to get a complete sample. (cut, anesthesia, stress, pain, days of recovery/healing and day off of work for nothing)....

Three weeks later I went in for a second try and it was completely different.

The second time, I didn't feel the pain and it was relatively easy.

Here's what I learned and did different the second time:

1. Prayer and reading the Bible before the procedure. Reinforce the truth that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”, “Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world”, “no weapon formed against me will prosper”, and that if you have prayed and asked for protection and wisdom, discernment and skill for the medical staff- God has already sent His angels forward to prepare the way and that God is with you the whole time.

2. I copied Psalm 23 and Psalm 91 (personalized it for me) onto a pad of sticky notes that I carried into and read throughout the whole procedure. I prayed and read out loud the whole time. (I warned the staff ahead of time : ) One of the nurses asked me afterwards if I was practicing for a speech…I just smiled. (keep in mind you will only have access to one arm during the procedure so write your pad in a way that you can turn the pages with one hand)
When I concentrated on God’s word….I didn’t see the tray of needles, gauze pads with blood (or iodine which looks like blood), I didn’t hear the staff talking to each other or the mechanical sounds of the machines…I focused on God and didn’t have any problem.

3. Keep in mind that the worst part of the procedure is the initial needle prick (similar to having your mouth numbed for a dental procedure)... after that (provided that was done right)- it is more "uncomfortable" than "painful".

4. I asked the doctor to not repeat all the “terrible things that have a 1 in 10 million chance of happening” right before the procedure. I know they have to gain consent for the procedure- but in the future, I will ask to sign the consent when the appointment is made so I understand everything more clearly and have time to digest the implications. The last thing I need to have in my mind 30 seconds before the procedure is a bunch of “new” information about how the procedure could end up in full surgery with major complications!! Consent, to me, means that you know the information in advance, have had time to research and pray about it and have made a well thought out “decision” to consent. It is more than a “check the block” before the procedure.

5. The first time, I didn’t tell anyone that I was having a biopsy. I didn’t want to worry my family or get distracted with horror stories of other people’s experiences, lack of faith or other peoples stress. I know the power of what we speak and didn’t want to spread around a bunch of negativity. However, after the bad experience the first time, God showed me how He has blessed me with at least three very strong Christian women who also know God’s word and speak only in faith – I told them before the second procedure and they prayed with and for me. It was sure a lot better to have the support the second time! There is a difference between complaining and worrying about your situation vs. sharing your situation and getting appropriate support.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM

49 posts, read 135,407 times
yesterday I had a stereotactic breast biopsy. I was so afraid after reading all the post about the procedure.

But was not at all painful as I expected, was more... uncomfortable. Less pain than a root canal or even a deep cleaning. It was relatively easy!

The radiologist and nurse were so nice and understanding.
The main issue is to find your comfortable position before the procedure so, you don't move for almost 30-min or 1 hr.
During the procedure I try to relax by praying, singing christian songs (in my mind), I also had a bracelet on my wrist with words about Jesus and I keep looking, reading the words and try to think about pleasant events ...
I try not to think of what they are doing.
I had a little more pain after the procedure...for like 6 hour but Tylenol helped.
Now, I am waiting for the results. I just pray to God not to have cancer.

I hope my post will give courage to those facing a biopsy and I pray for all of you.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One more question View Post
i am having this procedure done tomorrow and they want to leave the 'port" behind for good, is this normal? never heard of it
yes , they left a clip on my breast too, after the stereotactic biospy that I had yesterday.

this clip is made of titanium, is very small maybe 2 mm. It is used just in case if they need to go back to know precisely the area were the biopsy was done and to check for future mammograms that area more carefully.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebadu View Post
yesterday I had a stereotactic breast biopsy. I was so afraid after reading all the post about the procedure.

But was not at all painful as I expected, was more... uncomfortable. Less pain than a root canal or even a deep cleaning. It was relatively easy!

The radiologist and nurse were so nice and understanding.
The main issue is to find your comfortable position before the procedure so, you don't move for almost 30-min or 1 hr.
During the procedure I try to relax by praying, singing christian songs (in my mind), I also had a bracelet on my wrist with words about Jesus and I keep looking, reading the words and try to think about pleasant events ...
I try not to think of what they are doing.
I had a little more pain after the procedure...for like 6 hour but Tylenol helped.
Now, I am waiting for the results. I just pray to God not to have cancer.

I hope my post will give courage to those facing a biopsy and I pray for all of you.
Yeah, having to stay in one position was worse than the test. Good luck on your results!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:23 PM

got the results: no cancer! Thank you, God!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 10,262 times
I notice that many of you had your core needle biopsies done by surgeons. Mine is going to be done by the radiologist who read my mammogram, and did my ultrasound. Is this the usual routine, or should I be asking for a referral to a surgeon for this procedure?

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:36 PM

mine was done by radiologist. I talked to the surgeon, also, prior to biopsy and she told me that she doesn't do core needle biopsy, she does only the more invasive biopsies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer