Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times

Advertisements

I wasn't looking for anything to do with Wellness last night.

I was looking into Clembuterol contaminated and poisoned meat from, and in China, based on an article from a trade industry website.

While researching Clembuterol in animal feed, I ended up on the FDA website, and Wellness was there, on the page I opened up, so I clicked on it.

I really was shocked by the difference in my perception a year ago, about the size/volume of the recall. Between (small/inconsequential) "lots" and the actual (Enormous) amount of defective food when broken down into individual cans, not just a few "lots".

I didn't remember finding that long list in June 2011 when I went online for the first time (ever) trying to warn others.

I am curious if I missed it, and what others remember about the recall.

Anon, Since you do have a recollection of a "to do" in the pet section of weekly paper, could you be more specific, which paper, what approximate dates?

This was the thread I started a year ago, if you read far enough into it, there is a link to story about a rescue that was feeding only Wellness at that time.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...ats-still.html

Last edited by leanansidhex; 04-08-2012 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: double wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Sorry, I don't remember which weekly rag it was in. This one town alone has three of them, plus a regional, plus two different weekly advertising rags. They all have a "pets" page, where animal shelters inform the readers about which pets are up for adoption and how to donate. I remember one of them had, on that pets page, a short notice that Wellness had voluntarily recalled some canned cat food and for anyone feeding cats this product should refer to the contact information on the label for instructions on refund. It wasn't an article. It was more of a public service notice.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
I would like to thank the OP and the other posters for keeping us informed of the recalls. Sharing information doesn't scare me or send me to panic mode.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I would like to thank the OP and the other posters for keeping us informed of the recalls. Sharing information doesn't scare me or send me to panic mode.
Thankfully you have common sense. Many readers do not. And the OP wasn't "keeping you informed." That would require current information. The OP's post was about something that happened, and was resolved, a -year- ago. It's not up to date information. The up to date information, the *current* information, is that Wellness canned cat food *currently* has however much thiamine in it as it's supposed to have, and there is no *current* FDA recall on it, nor is there any *current* recommendation or request from the FDA for Wellness to pull any of its canned cat food off the market.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I think a general awareness of possible commercial food issues is a good thing. Looking at what happened in previous food recall cases is one way to get an idea of typical practices in the industry. What would be useful to know, though, in evaluating companies with previous recalls is if there were any policy and procedural changes that might prevent a repeat. Generally, it seems the economics are not in favor of such changes. In other words, for a large enough entity at least, at some point it's cheaper to mitigate the after effects of a recall than it is to prevent or make them less likely.

This is really true of all food production, not just pet food. At this point, if you're not somewhat disconcerted about general commercial food production (from a safety standpoint and from the types of ingredients used), you're not really paying attention. That doesn't mean necessarily that you've up and stopped buying all commercial foods for yourself or your pets. (I haven't.) But paying closer attention, pausing to think through the choices, etc. is reasonable.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think a general awareness of possible commercial food issues is a good thing. Looking at what happened in previous food recall cases is one way to get an idea of typical practices in the industry. What would be useful to know, though, in evaluating companies with previous recalls is if there were any policy and procedural changes that might prevent a repeat. Generally, it seems the economics are not in favor of such changes. In other words, for a large enough entity at least, at some point it's cheaper to mitigate the after effects of a recall than it is to prevent or make them less likely.

This is really true of all food production, not just pet food. At this point, if you're not somewhat disconcerted about general commercial food production (from a safety standpoint and from the types of ingredients used), you're not really paying attention. That doesn't mean necessarily that you've up and stopped buying all commercial foods for yourself or your pets. (I haven't.) But paying closer attention, pausing to think through the choices, etc. is reasonable.
Thank you and I agree.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Thankfully you have common sense. Many readers do not. And the OP wasn't "keeping you informed." That would require current information. The OP's post was about something that happened, and was resolved, a -year- ago. It's not up to date information. The up to date information, the *current* information, is that Wellness canned cat food *currently* has however much thiamine in it as it's supposed to have, and there is no *current* FDA recall on it, nor is there any *current* recommendation or request from the FDA for Wellness to pull any of its canned cat food off the market.
Information is information---whether it is old or current. Just because it is history doesn't mean it has no relevance. What if everyone felt that way? Would that mean, for example, that WW11 is no longer relevant without "current" information to support it?

I truly appreciate the efforts that posters take on here to pass along information. I just don't get why it is such a negative thing for you. If it helps just one person prevent illness or death for their cat...what is wrong with that?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Information is information---whether it is old or current. Just because it is history doesn't mean it has no relevance. What if everyone felt that way? Would that mean, for example, that WW11 is no longer relevant without "current" information to support it?

I truly appreciate the efforts that posters take on here to pass along information. I just don't get why it is such a negative thing for you. If it helps just one person prevent illness or death for their cat...what is wrong with that?
Warning people to be cautious of Germans because of what you know about WWII - is irresponsible and scare-mongering.

Warning people that cops are scum based on the Rodney King incident - is scaremongering and irresponsible.

Warning people that "this really bad thing happened a year ago" without saying "This was addressed back when it happened and is no longer an issue, however the lesson to learn is that cat food should have sufficient thiamine in it" - is irresponsible and scaremongering.

When you include only the "bad" without mentioning the "good" or even the "resolution" then you are being irresponsible and scare-mongering. You're rousing the rabble, hoping to drum up drama over something that is no longer an issue.

If you don't do even the minimum of research (a google search and skimming a wiki article would be a minimum), and post only what you read in one article, without even checking to see if it's biased..and present it as "HEY LOOK HERE THIS IS SERIOUS"...then you are doing people a disservice, you're not being helpful at all.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The Title of the thread is: Were YOU Aware of THESE Facts in the Weeks Following the Feb 28 2011 Wellness Voluntary Recall?

WERE YOU - FEB 28 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats