Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times

Advertisements

kitty face.

I said,
"How are they getting into your home?
Are they in the attic?
a bowl of antifreeze will stop that."

I did leave out to put it in the attic.
Kids, your cat, dog, rat, snake, should not be in your or my attic.

What is the difference if they use rat poison?
Your kid could eat it.

So your kid wanders the neighborhood drinking whatever fluid they find?
Your kid could steal my car and kill them selves, start the lawn mower and kill them selves too and there are many other hazards a kid could kill them selves on or with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Exterminate
Wrong answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
a bowl of antifreeze will stop that.
Heinous answer.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Quote:
Exterminate, feral cats make poor pets at best.

Get your own traps. Smear some tuna fish onto the tray and put the trap(s) in a sheltered location. The cats will go in if they feel safe.

How are they getting into your home?
Are they in the attic?
a bowl of antifreeze will stop that.

I like house cats but feral cats are not tame nor do they take to house training very well.

Feral cats will also beat up and or kill your house cat and they kill numerous song birds
You seriously cannot be this incompetent??? WTF is wrong with you?? You need to be exterminated!!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
So you think a wild cat is a good prospect as a pet.
You my friend are sadly mistaken.
These "nice" wild cats hold a real danger to our pets.
Think with your brain not your heart.

And I'm very codependent in removing them from a area.
No, the wild cats need to be exterminated.

so a pack of wild dogs is fine with you also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You seriously cannot be this incompetent??? WTF is wrong with you?? You need to be exterminated!!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Can we get back on topic and offer some good suggestions?

My neighbor has four cats which run the neighborhood. I have been trying to keep them out of my garage as they spray if the door is open tying to send my indoor male cat a "message". We are starting to feel trapped by someone else's cats. We have tried talking to this guy but he claims they were once ferrel so he can't leave them in at night or they will spray his house. The cats are beautiful animals but they are stinking up our garage which is just off our kitchen and I can't leave the door open long enough to get a glass of water! We want to sell our home next year - without the neighbor's cat smell. I strongly suspect this guy would strike first and talk later so I do have some concerns about contacting the city again about his cats after observing his behavior.

We would appreciate a real solution to keep out the cats without being judged. We aren't cat haters but I'm getting too old to have move all our boxes stored in our garage to clean up after someone else's cats.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,325 times
To detour cats from entering your garage, maybe have a water spray bottle handy, the kind with a long spray of 10 feet or so; or an air spray can (like you clean your computer with) - to scare them off.

As for feral cats - I agree, either get a dog (if you like dogs) - that will keep them from your yard, or call vets and pet services to find out about local feral cat organizations. There are organizations (if you are in a town of any size) that may even offer to help you trap, neuter, and relocate the cats.

We found a program that only cost $15 for neuter and shots and we ended up with a small group of 5 ferals that we fed and enjoyed - and they were NO LONGER having kittens. We also rescued and adopted out a group of feral kittens. It was a job but it was also very rewarding - and I was impressed with the services that were available once I did some searching for them.

Thanks for trying to find some good options.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,865 times
Default Monsters walk among us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wrong answer.

Heinous answer.
I didn't know what I now know: there are some pretty monstrously mean people in this forum, aren't there?

Trust me, they will not change because of anything you or I say. They have no heart and are cruel to animals, that's all.

There is a lot worse I would like to say but will get kicked off the forum if I do.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
To detour cats from entering your garage, maybe have a water spray bottle handy, the kind with a long spray of 10 feet or so; or an air spray can (like you clean your computer with) - to scare them off.

As for feral cats - I agree, either get a dog (if you like dogs) - that will keep them from your yard, or call vets and pet services to find out about local feral cat organizations. There are organizations (if you are in a town of any size) that may even offer to help you trap, neuter, and relocate the cats.

We found a program that only cost $15 for neuter and shots and we ended up with a small group of 5 ferals that we fed and enjoyed - and they were NO LONGER having kittens. We also rescued and adopted out a group of feral kittens. It was a job but it was also very rewarding - and I was impressed with the services that were available once I did some searching for them.

Thanks for trying to find some good options.
Thank you for your response.

If I am working in the garage, or even talking to my neighbor, the cat will hide by the bushes and as soon as I'm out of sight, he sneaks in making the spray bottle a little hard to use at that time. I read one article from a garden web site which suggesting using empty one litter bottles filled with water as their reflection will make them think another cat is hiding behind the bottle. I tested it on my cats and it worked! But, not the outdoor cat as he could just move around it.

The other afternoon I opened my front door and he was sitting on my fence and began growling and hissing at me. I had just pet my indoor boy so that may have had something to do with his attitude. The owner is the probem not the cat. He totally refuses to control his animals.

We have three cats now as our pleas to the rescue groups in my area failed as they will only take the cats from shelters that are sellable. Our three were all dumped and have turned out to be great cats but we cannot take another cat. We feed cats at work but they remain there since the rescue groups only want the cute ones, to be fair to the ones we already have, we can't take any more. Vets don't work for free and our space is limited.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
We would appreciate a real solution to keep out the cats without being judged. We aren't cat haters but I'm getting too old to have move all our boxes stored in our garage to clean up after someone else's cats.
You ahve two issues

1. What to do right now and all I can say is trap them, ereect physycal barroers such as temporary fencing, or take whatever steps that are not in conflict with anticruelty laws, to terminate the nusince.

2. In the long-term, go after the owner. Although the cats may have been feral once, the owner is the owner and under CA law is liable for any damages the cats create. So, send the neighbor a formal written demand to control the cats and keep them off your property. If they still come on your property and causes any damages or nusinsance, contract with a licenesed exterminator to trap the cats and dispose of them according to law. Next you sue the pants off that inconsiderate fool who thinks just cause its a cat it has some god given superior rights to go where ever it wants and do whatever it pleases. Under CA law (there was yet another case recently favorable to you) the cost to trap the cats, the cost to clean any areas needed to rid your home of that cats smell or markings, any cost associated with recalimimng the enjoyment of your property from the tresspassing of the neighbors cats, can be recovered in court alog with all cost and fees necessary to resolve the matter.

As much as it pains you to think of what may happen to those cats after being trapped, it wouldn't have been an issue had the owner of those cats thought about what nusuiance their cats were causing when it leaves their property. Unfortuneetly, many owners think their cats have a greater right to destroy your peaceful enjoyment of your own property, well the CA appeal courts reaffirmed that if people cats roam, be prepared to pay if it causes problems on someone elses property.

Good luck......

Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
So you think a wild cat is a good prospect as a pet.
You my friend are sadly mistaken.
These "nice" wild cats hold a real danger to our pets.
Think with your brain not your heart.

And I'm very codependent in removing them from a area.
No, the wild cats need to be exterminated.

so a pack of wild dogs is fine with you also?
As I sit typing this there's a happy black cat lying on my lap. When I moved into the last place before I lived here I discovered him; he lived under a porch. He'd come out and look at me but would never come anywhere near. There was a large colony of Great Horned Owls nearby so I knew it was only a matter of time. I set a live trap, caught him, and brought him into the house. I should have put the trap out during the day and taken him straight to my vet. He lived in his own room for three months and snarled and advanced on me every time I entered the room. Finally I managed to trap him again and brought him to my vet. After he came home I put him into the same room to do some recuperating; but a few days later he zipped out into the house. I figured out that he was living under the bed so that's where I left food and water. The food was always gone. About six months later I walked into the kitchen; he was lying on the kitchen counter alongside of my other cat. They were both perfectly at ease. Today he's like other pet cats. He likes affection and company. He's fine with my two dogs although he won't let my younger one lick him and play with him.

Before I won him over I had contacted a number of feral rescue groups. They all told me that it couldn't be done. But it could; all it took was patience.

There are people who hate animals and want them to die. Some, like Michael Vick, want to do it themselves; others, like this poster, just seem to want it done. The last time I heard there were two wild dog packs about fifty miles west of Denver; They're seldom seen and they bother no one. But there have been many people who tried to find out their location (a closely guarded secret for their protection) so that they could "hunt" them. Others want the "authorities" to "do something" about them. I hope there's a special chamber in Hell for these people. Animals have it hard as it is. The people who want to kill them or encourage their killing are beyond redemption.

Would I bring in another feral? Without hesitation. But remember most ferals are just abandoned or lost pets. They're just looking for someone to love and someone to love them.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 09-25-2012 at 01:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats