Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:15 AM

380 posts, read 833,293 times

Advertisements

"Getting off 5th Ave and finding another vet" = easier said than done!

Not sure where MightyQueen lives but if her area is anything like mine (middle class, and a far cry from 5th Ave in NYC), the profit-first "McVet" chains are buying up small, independent practices. Veterinary facilities not in business to milk clients for whatever they possibly can, are few and far between or totally non-existent in some areas. Can find the 2 big chains on the NYSE for a reason -- the largest is actually (literally) owned by MARS - yes the candy company which also makes pet foods with the worst, cheapest, unhealthiest ingredients.

Unfortunately, since the "business plan" of the McVets is more common than not, people believe it's more the "norm" for veterinary practices in general, unless they seek out a low-cost clinic. Will have to travel distances to find that diamond in the rough but the challenge is recognising the difference to begin with, which most people don't. (Not to imply this applies to MQ - just speaking of people I personally know in general.) But this is why mainstream demand for a more "honest" business formula geared towards overly-trusting pet owners isn't where it should be, IMO.

My family was blessed with a wonderful veterinarian since the '60s -- before the PFI, as well, would come in and virtually take over the mainstream with their $$$$ and "influence" . That's the only reason I know the difference. But most, especially younger generations, know no differently since they've never been exposed to anything else.

MightyQueen, maybe there's a Holistic vet near you?

Last edited by Pamina333; 12-25-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post

Not sure where MightyQueen lives but if her area is anything like mine (middle class, and a far cry from 5th Ave in NYC), the profit-first "McVet" chains are buying up small, independent practices. Veterinary facilities not in business to milk clients for whatever they possibly can, are few and far between or totally non-existent in some areas. Can find the 2 big chains on the NYSE for a reason -- the largest is actually (literally) owned by MARS - yes the candy company which also makes pet foods with the worst, cheapest, unhealthiest ingredients.
Sometimes you have to go outside your immediate area. Before this Animal Hosp we use now opened some years back, I had to drive to a another town for an affordable vet. Are you talking about Banfield (sp?) in the PetsMart stores?

Quote:
Unfortunately, since the "business plan" of the McVets is more common than not, people believe it's more the "norm" for veterinary practices in general, unless they seek out a low-cost clinic. Will have to travel distances to find that diamond in the rough but the challenge is recognising the difference to begin with, which most people don't. (Not to imply this applies to MQ - just speaking of people I personally know in general.) But this is why mainstream demand for a more "honest" business formula geared towards overly-trusting pet owners isn't where it should be, IMO.

My family was blessed with a wonderful veterinarian since the '60s -- before the PFI, as well, would come in and virtually take over the mainstream with their $$$$ and "influence" . That's the only reason I know the difference. But most, especially younger generations, know no differently since they've never been exposed to anything else.

Do the Holistic vets have the equipment to do teeth?

Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That's absurd. Go somewhere else. Call other vets.

Where are you getting these quoted prices from? Either you misunderstood the person or you're using a vet the Vanderbilts and Rockerfellers use. Get off 5th Ave and find another vet.

We shop around for not only vets we like, that are competent, but those whose prices are fair. You chose the wrong vet. $500 to clean teeth? I can't buy that. If you let her mouth go and she gets infected gums, you're really in for a shocking bill.

College kids where I live, unless they're the children of the very wealthy, work part time jobs and help pay their way through college.
You really have no business commenting on my kid's education or our choices as to how to pay for it, but I did put it out there on the Internet so I suppose I should expect that I opened myself to obnoxious remarks from one of those who love to make smarmy remarks behind the anonymity of a computer screen. Hope that got you some satisfaction and made you feel big or whatever personal gratification you guys get from that sort of thing.

FTR, my daughter does work part time and she is helping pay her way through college.

I used the animal hospital that is the closest to me. That is the price they told me as an "estimate", without doing any x-rays or anything. Yes, I will check other places, but this is a small animal hospital in a blue-collar town. The next nearest one is much larger and in a more affluent area.

You are going on ignore because I really don't have patience for self-important nonsense, but perhaps there is another poster on here actually interested in providing information who could tell me what sort of different prices I should expect.

This is in the central NJ area, if that helps. Anybody?

Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:

I don't know. I have never heard of that, but maybe I could do some research. When I first took in the cats, I was renting a house from a local vet, so I went to his place. Then I moved 60 miles away, and there was a vet/animal hospital five minutes from my house, so it made sense to go there, especially since none of the four are really happy about car rides. It is a VCA, which is apparently part of a chain, so maybe the prices are standardized? I am honestly not sure how it works.

I had no idea Mars made pet food. They make M&Ms. Doesn't seem to mesh!

Thank you for taking time to provide a helpful answer. I appreciate it. Vet bills for four cats add up, and if I can find a less expensive way to get them the care they need as they get older, that would be great.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-25-2012 at 08:40 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Update: did a quick Google search on holistic vets in NJ, and the only one it pulled up was in a town near Atlantic City, about 80 miles away. But, there is that big animal hospital just a few miles from me--I mean, it's the size of human hospital, and it's not in that VCA chain. I am going to call this week and ask about dental care for cats and if they can quote me a price range, just to see if it's anything less expensive than the smaller one close to me.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-25-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Didn't think of it earlier -- I know someone who takes hers to a Women's Humane Society close to her and she's happy so far (she, too, is surrounded by VCA-owned/taken over. )

Here's a list of orgs which may be near you, perhaps one, or some, have in-house Veterinarians (like the WHA, and SPCA in my old city does), or could recommend one? Vets like this don't advertise, so maybe there's one "hiding" close to you.

NJSPCA - Animal Shelters In NJ - The NJ Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

=^..^= , yes that's the one owned by MARS (you spelled it correctly). We've not had experience with that one, but the other = nothing but nightmares. "Salespeople First" is putting it mildly.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Didn't think of it earlier -- I know someone who takes hers to a Women's Humane Society close to her and she's happy so far (she, too, is surrounded by VCA-owned/taken over. )

Here's a list of orgs which may be near you, perhaps one, or some, have in-house Veterinarians (like the WHA, and SPCA in my old city does), or could recommend one? Vets like this don't advertise, so maybe there's one "hiding" close to you.

NJSPCA - Animal Shelters In NJ - The NJ Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

=^..^= , yes that's the one owned by MARS (you spelled it correctly). We've not had experience with that one, but the other = nothing but nightmares. "Salespeople First" is putting it mildly.
Thanks--there is an SPCA nearby, but I never thought of them as having vet services for outside people. I could call and ask.

I'm very close to areas hit hard by hurricane Sandy, and that SPCA has taken in pets from people who lost their homes and are stuck in motels and other temporary living situations and can't keep their pets with them. The owners can come there and visit their pets.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I had no idea Mars made pet food. They make M&Ms. Doesn't seem to mesh!
Oh you have no idea. Check some food threads on here. The whole commercial pet food issue is a Big can o' worms, to put it nicely. We found it all out the slow, hard way.

Quote:
Thank you for taking time to provide a helpful answer. I appreciate it. Vet bills for four cats add up, and if I can find a less expensive way to get them the care they need as they get older, that would be great.
You're welcome

Reading this resource written by a Veterinarian who specilaises in felines will arm you with information which will help prevent teeth-gum and other health maladies down the road: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

I couldn't believe it all at first. It took over a year of reading and reading credible sources ("Real" Veterinarians such as the above, and also Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins among others) and other pet owners' first-hand experiences for everything to really sink in.
For example, cats aren't even capable of chewing (and processing) cereal-kibble or carbs, yet most mainstream vets will endorse and even sell clients kibble. This is just one example.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks--there is an SPCA nearby, but I never thought of them as having vet services for outside people. I could call and ask.

I'm very close to areas hit hard by hurricane Sandy, and that SPCA has taken in pets from people who lost their homes and are stuck in motels and other temporary living situations and can't keep their pets with them. The owners can come there and visit their pets.
Crossing fingers that the one in your area does as well. Any cost $ will go right back to them. The waiting time will take a lot more patience, but IMHO sooo worth it. We didn't get "spoiled" with the in & out convenience until dealing with the Mcvets, found the trade-off was costlier (in lives and $$) than we could have ever imagined. . Long waits were the norm prior with our "real" Vet. Reason was thoroughness (hindsight 20-20. )

{{HUGS}} to all affected. We got off easy here, just a few days without power.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:

They are so expensive where I live that few people I know will go there. I got a quote to neuter an adult male cat 2 years ago and they wanted $150! I almost fell off my chair. As I recall I paid a private vet a few miles from PetsMart $40 and $10 for a pain shot. So the differences in what they charge is shocking.

If I can remember, I'm going to ask my vet tomorrow what they charge to clean a cat's teeth. The girls (by law) are due their rabies boosters. They'll get the purevax.

We had a vet here about 10 years ago who was worth his weight in gold. He died from cancer in his 50s. It was such a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats