Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times

Advertisements

Yay for Sidney! I'm happy to hear he's home safe and sound!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Hi! Sidney is home, safe & sound! Of course I got there 30 mins early but they let me have him. He was hiding under his blanket I packed for him and when he heard me he just starting purring. Made my heart melt.
He is wanting to be out and about with the boys but I am trying to keep him in my sons room. I've been in there with him since he came home.
Thanks for all your well wishes! I am going to get back to Sidney!

So glad Sidney is home. Don't you just love it when you have to leave them at the vet's (not that part lol), but when you go to pick them up how happy they are to see you!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Yaaay Sidney. Good job, vet.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Y'know, I was thinking...and that can be a dangerous thing...part of Sidney's wariness around unfamiliar humans could stem from all the veterinary attention he had to have when he first showed up. ("Hartwell Girl House = easily manipulated people, two stepbrother cats to play with and pester, canines to aggravate, plenty of good eats + treats + even catnip, lotsa windows to perch in and plenty of hiding/napping places, etc etc. Other two-legged creatures, in different locations = the scent of scared animals, shots + IV's + more stuff that hurts, distraught stepmother, having to stay in a cage and go riding around in vehicles - which if Isis had intended me to do she would've given me wheels.")
And it has to be said that he might've escaped an unkind fate which met his birth mom and siblings. Of course that will never be known, and it's probably just as well. (Unless you believe in pet psychics and want to have one over for a session with him, lol...) I'm convinced that felines can be affected by PTSD the same way as people can, such as when Weasie was hit by dirt and rocks thrown by bratty kids as she snoozed on a window sill one summer day and has never lain down there since.
Feral cats not only don't take kindly to being confined, they go stark-raving mad trying to get away. I've seen 'em fling themselves full force against windows and walls while being captured. So I doubt this is the source of Sidney's issues. But maybe he won't go nuts so much now that that his pair of them is gone.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Okay, I have a little more time this morning. My little Sidney is doing well, pretty much acts like nothing has happened. Woke me up early again as usual to get him and his brothers their breakfast. He ate it all and I decided to do my regular morning routine as well. So, he WAS laying in the computer room with me but now has decided he wants to walk around.

When I picked him up from the vet, the lady who gave him to me said she couldnt get him to look up at her, I told her he was a nervous boy and I opened his cage, called his name a few times--he looked up, walked towards me and there were instant loud Sidney purrs. He made me so happy. The lady at the front desk (different than earlier that morning) thought it was cute that I put his favorite mouse toy in the cage with him. I told her kids take their teddy bears or doll baby's---so Sidney gets his mouse.

Thanks again for all your well wishes for Sidney...you guys have been there for him through a lot. I apologize for being so brief yesterday after he came home, I just really wanted to get back to him and do the motherly thing by annoying him with my hoovering and over protective actions..but all Sidney seems concerned about is fixing all the long hair on his hind quarters that is a mess and tangled from the surgery somehow....he is so vain.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
What a good kitty mom you are! I'm glad he's doing so well.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:05 AM

283 posts, read 892,756 times
Happy to hear he's back and recovering well

Old 12-03-2009, 11:21 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
but all Sidney seems concerned about is fixing all the long hair on his hind quarters that is a mess and tangled from the surgery somehow....he is so vain.
He was probably downright uncomfortable! Kinda like the kitty version of a wedgie ...

Glad to hear he's unscathed ... mostly ...

Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
My almost four year old was rescued from the landlord at four weeks. They got into a fight and both left and dumped her in the garage. It took two more weeks for them to ask about the cat and long before that I'd decided that I would be keeping her regardless.

She was terrified of me but I managed to catch her with food. She warmed up to me and the dog, loves the dog, and cleans her, but aside from liking to sleep on my side or feet isn't a touchyfeely cat. She is terrified of two legged strangers, hisses at cats and likes dogs. We're ... working on relations with the kittens and mom since they don't have anywhere to go.

But people... she clearly doesn't like them. When I had to board her the people at the vet ask me to get her out of the cage. I heard her hiss before I saw her. When I opened the cage and called her she came right too me purring and hissed at everyone else as we passed by them.

I'm sure cats carry the leftovers of bad kittenhood experience like anyone else two legged would. She can be very affectionate but ONLY on her terms. I just live with it. The kittens, never having been traumatized, are so different. I keep hoping there is a way to rub off on her but so far no deal.

Sidney may never lose that fear, coming so young and being so fundamental. But he's such a lucky boy to have such a good kitty mom to love and care for him and even if he hides you'll always know that.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:28 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Nightbird--your story sounds so much like Sidney. He is terrified of people, but loves his two feline brothers and the two dogs--of course except when they run into the house like a couple of wild hounds after taking a potty break outside lol.

Sidney post surgery is doing really well. He really was in rare form yesterday tearing through the house like a wildman and chasing the two other cats around two floors of the house. Now Sidney is the lightest of the three but somehow its HIS loud pitter patter of paws I hear when the house racing begins. Of course with a few of his chirps added into the mix.

Okay, the Christmas tree...looks like I dont get to hang any breakable ornaments this year. Sidney likes to check out the lower branches but him and Muchkin like to play hid & go seek in there. Of course Munckin hides in the upper branches and Sidney attacks from below...poor tree. But Sidney did knock out yesterday after his insane play time for a cute Christmas pose. I also will include a pic showing how Sidney still loves to hang out with me in the office making sure I am updating information about him correctly.
Dear lord I love this cat.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats