Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
You are almost comical....lets try to follow what actually occurred in reality and not in your mind where you keep trying to insist that I have some type of obsession with Beyonce and losing sleep over her.

1.You said she speaks well.

2. Another poster said that Beyonce is one of the the last people that she thinks of in terms of speaking well.

3. I said I also pause when people say Beyonce is a good speaker.

4. You replied with "I didn't say she was a good speaker; I said she speaks well"...which I still don't see the difference but then you quickly changed it to "she speaks normal"

This process is called having a conversation. I'm not sure exactly what made you decide that once people start discussing the topic that you brought up that it was no longer irrelevant or why you keep questioning my comprehension skills (but I'll admit I still don't see the difference between being a good speaker and speaking well) but I was never really concerned about Beyonce or your opinion...I was trying to understand the varying degrees of "speaks well" vs "good speaker" vs "she talks normal" but at this point it's not even really important because I can see that you're just rude and I don't really enjoy talking to rude people.

And in response to your suggestion that I go somewhere and get my life back...um YOU were the one who responded to my post originally. I didn't quote you; wasn't even talking to you. So you have fun in your little realm of self-importance but as a helpful hint if you don't want people to respond to your comments you probably shouldn't post them in an online discussion forum...because people might actually, you know, discuss them.
If I knew that mentioning that I think she speaks well was going to give you and some others the ulcer that it has, I seriously wouldn't have even have mentioned it. LOL.

You do have some kind of obsession over her speaking skills. That's apparent, since as I noted, it was one element and not even the important part of what I was stating overall on the issues regarding what I see going on with Beyonce. The fact that you failed to comprehend this and continue to discuss the same element ad nauseum tells me you either have an obsession with her speaking skills or you didn't comprehend the ENTIRE post since the only thing you've bothered to harp on repeatedly is the speaking skills element that I mentioned many moons ago. People are free to discuss whatever is mentioned in a post, but to go to this degree and want to split hairs over one comment in it, is ridiculous (I won't say pointless/irrelevant since you seem to take issue with that word ). Again, the entirety of my post was not supposed to be hinged on her ability to speak well or not. I thought that was obvious but apparently it wasn't to you.

If you are still trying to comprehend what I meant by saying she 'speaks well,' let me break it down for you one last time: In my opinion her speaking skills are fine, she speaks well. You and anyone else can disagree with this (which it looks like you do) life goes on.

If you don't enjoy talking to "rude people," then stop talking to me. I suggest you put me on ignore because I plan to do so to you, since I see where one simple comment has the possibility of going and it's nowhere good. Goodbye!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It's easy:

Black people who have any kind of drawl oruse any slang are criticized for being ghetto and using ebonics. If they speak the King's English properly they are accused of acting white or forgetting where they came from. It is truly a no win situation unless you are a thug life gangsta rapper and try to avoid the latter label with a passion.
I actually don't think her accent is that pronounced (could be that I'm Southern though). I don't even necessarily think of Beyonce as a bad speaker: I just think she doesn't say much. She has this way of answering questions without really saying anything; I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that she knows people are going to over-analyze every word so she doesn't give them much to work with except radio snippets or headlines.

When I think of a bad speaker (as far as black women in entertainment go) Fantasia comes to mind. She does have an accent and use slang but to me it's more about how she rambles on with her answers and many times doesn't answer the question correctly (I suspect because she didn't understand the question).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
If I knew that mentioning that I think she speaks well was going to give you and some others the ulcer that it has, I seriously wouldn't have even have mentioned it. LOL.
Now I have ulcers lol good grief. So I guess the concept here is "read what I say but don't dare respond"...next time you send someone a RUDE reputation don't sign it. It would have been much simpler to explain what you meant by "speaks well" but I can see that would have been too much...it's much easier to claim people are obsessed and losing sleep and don't have lives. Oh well...since you put me on your ignore list guess you can't see this post so at least now I can leave your world of make-believe.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I actually don't think her accent is that pronounced (could be that I'm Southern though). I don't even necessarily think of Beyonce as a bad speaker: I just think she doesn't say much. She has this way of answering questions without really saying anything; I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that she knows people are going to over-analyze every word so she doesn't give them much to work with except radio snippets or headlines.

When I think of a bad speaker (as far as black women in entertainment go) Fantasia comes to mind. She does have an accent and use slang but to me it's more about how she rambles on with her answers and many times doesn't answer the question correctly (I suspect because she didn't understand the question).
e.
Well Fantasia was IIRC illiterate. So yeah. I don't get why necessarily if an entertainer isn't a trained public speaker who could give keynote addresses before Harvard grads that some people feel the need to point this out. It just seems to be a sticking point for celebs in general but more so for blacks. She may not be the sharpest tool in the shed and gives short terse answers but the saying goes better to keep quiet and let people think you are a fool rather then open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
I've never heard anyone say they hate her. Reactions are usually Wow or Meh.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I don't get the whole "overhyped" "overexposed" argument people toss out to hate on a celebrity. I mean, isnt that the job of a celebrity to gain hype and exposure? So she's doing a good job correct? She's not doing I by public intoxication or flashing the camera so why do people hate her?

No one wants to admit it but the public is tough on women, particular black ones. When she was all butt hips and legs people called her fat, most brothers I know thought she looked fine. So she slims down. Some geniuses still call her fat but those people are way out there. Maybe she has lightened her skin, she isn't the first but I've noticed that lighter skinned women have always been more accepted by the status quo then darker ones. So no surprise there.

She's doing whatever her publicist and handlers say to gain fame and fortune because she has to, that's her job. Think of her less as a person and more like a corporation. She's got executives and worker bees and a research team and a marketing dept and all of them are hellbent on winning fame and ultimately fortune.

Then maybe the hate won't hurt so bad.

I agree. If anyone knows much about the music industry they will know the 'go away for 2 -5 years' isn't going to make the public crave you more, it does the exact opposite. A very good recent example of this is Justin Timberlake. He left the music industry at the height of his solo career for the film world. He came back to music some 6 years later and the buzz around him is basically gone. He has returned to find that Beiber and several other men have replaced him on the charts and in the pecking order of Pop/R&B male performers. Justin's newest single 'Suit & Tie' isn't pulling the numbers that "Cry me a river" or "Rock your Body" once did. It's a brand new single and last I saw it was no. 9 or 10 on Itunes. This isn't to say his entire album, when released won't do well, it might but the singles need to pick up better. So a reputable and knowledgeable PR rep and team know better then 'go away and we'll miss you' as a ploy and instead will 'strike while the iron is hot.' Seems to be more effective overall.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Well Fantasia was IIRC illiterate. So yeah. I don't get why necessarily if an entertainer isn't a trained public speaker who could give keynote addresses before Harvard grads that some people feel the need to point this out. It just seems to be a sticking point for celebs in general but more so for blacks. She may not be the sharpest tool in the shed and gives short terse answers but the saying goes better to keep quiet and let people think you are a fool rather then open your mouth and remove all doubt.
For me its because celebs have taken on the role of keynote speaker, product endorser, talk show host, etc. They don't want to stay in one lane they want to do it all. So in my opinion if you're want to play that role then take ownership of it. They take vocal lessons even though they already sing; why not take some lessons on public speaking?

Understand I'm not talking about acceptance speeches or radio interviews or red carpet on the spot stuff...I'm not watching the Oscars going "she used a double negative". I'm specifically talking about events where they take on the role of speaker. Even then I don't expect Condi Rice but at least be able to convey your thoughts in a way that people can understand what you're saying ESPECIALLY if you're asking for money.

In the case of Beyonce I NEVER said she was a bad speaker. I don't even think she's unintelligent.
I think she has grown up in the industry and been groomed on the way they want her to answer questions. As I said before any and every word that comes out of her mouth is going to be analyzed so she gives fluff answers that can't be used against her. That is my opinion.

I don't think she's a bad speaker. I don't think she's a good speaker.
Why that became such a huge issue I don't know.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:12 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,292 times
Quote:
So she should take a break from making millions from selling records, being asked to perform at the presidential inauguration and halftime at the superbowl and being the face and body for fashion and cosmetics companies before people get tired of her.

Maybe she'll take your advice and by the time she comes back her body won't be as tight and her voice not as strong but her legions of adorin fans won't care and her critics will overlook any flaws.

Sorry, that does not compute.
Yes, that's exactly what she should do. What is the most common criticism you hear of Beyonce these days? It's not that she doesn't sing well, it's not that she's unattractive, it's not that she's a b*tch... it's that people are just tired of seeing her all the time. Her nickname "Beyawnce" says it all. She doesn't give the public a chance to miss her, to look forward to her next release, to be curious about her. I'm not saying she should disappear for a decade, just stay out of the limelight for a few years and maybe work on her next album during that time. If she is as established an artist as many claim she is, her career would have no problem surviving a break from the public. I mean, Michael Jackson only released an album every 5 years or so and hardly ever did any public appearances. He knew the danger of overexposure, as he said "I don't care if you're the most talented person in the world, if you come on the television every day people will regurgitate you. You have to know how to play your audience". When MJ did the Superbowl, it was a big deal because it wasn't every day that you got to see him perform. That's what kept people interested. Beyonce on the other hand has no clue how to play her audience. She oversaturates the public with one highly publicized appearance (the inauguration) after another (the Superbowl). Worse than that, she doesn't even bother to change her routine a bit. Many people - including some of her own fans - have commented that "if you've seen one Beyonce performance, you've seen them all".

Last edited by LindavG; 02-04-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM

179 posts, read 192,979 times
I don't hate her. The kind of music she makes just isn't the kind of music I enjoy.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I agree. If anyone knows much about the music industry they will know the 'go away for 2 -5 years' isn't going to make the public crave you more, it does the exact opposite. A very good recent example of this is Justin Timberlake. He left the music industry at the height of his solo career for the film world. He came back to music some 6 years later and the buzz around him is basically gone. He has returned to find that Beiber and several other men have replaced him on the charts and in the pecking order of Pop/R&B male performers. Justin's newest single 'Suit & Tie' isn't pulling the numbers that "Cry me a river" or "Rock your Body" once did. It's a brand new single and last I saw it was no. 9 or 10 on Itunes. This isn't to say his entire album, when released won't do well, it might but the singles need to pick up better. So a reputable and knowledgeable PR rep and team know better then 'go away and we'll miss you' as a ploy and instead will 'strike while the iron is hot.' Seems to be more effective overall.
But Justin Timberlake was nowhere near as established as an artist as Beyonce is today. Beyonce could easily afford a break from the public and if she couldn't, she doesn't deserve the praise she's getting as an "icon" of our time.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
But Justin Timberlake was nowhere near as established as an artist as Beyonce is today. Beyonce could easily afford a break from the public and if she couldn't, she doesn't deserve the praise she's getting as an "icon" of our time.
I'm not sure why you think he wasn't as world famous and established as she is -- did you not know he was in Nsync and had HUGE successes with both? Seriously?

My point was it is detrimental to any artist to 'take an extended break' from music regardless of world wide fame because of the reasons I stated. As you see with JT and several others that tactic does not work, the public is very fickle 'here today, gone tomorrow' while that person is on hiatus, younger and newer artists take the forefront. He thought he could pick up where he left off and that has not happened. When they return a lot of that 'buzz' is lost and they must refocus and work extra hard to regain public interest. That's all I was saying. And for the record I never said she was an 'icon of our time' but she's certainly been one of the most successful female artists of this time period anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities