Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I'm not sure why you think he wasn't as world famous and established as she is -- did you not know he was in Nsync and had HUGE successes with both? Seriously?

My point was it is detrimental to any artist to 'take an extended break' from music regardless of world wide fame because of the reasons I stated. As you see with JT and several others that tactic does not work, the public is very fickle 'here today, gone tomorrow' while that person is on hiatus, younger and newer artists take the forefront. He thought he could pick up where he left off and that has not happened. When they return a lot of that 'buzz' is lost and they must refocus and work extra hard to regain public interest. That's all I was saying. And for the record I never said she was an 'icon of our time' but she's certainly been one of the most successful female artists of this time period anyways.
Justin Timberlake was never as famous and established as Beyonce is, nowhere near it. Can you see him getting invited to the President's inauguration not once but twice even at the heyday of his career? Justin Timberlake was on the same level as Usher and Chris Brown, more or less.

That tactic has worked for dozens of artists, it is pretty much the only way to secure a long-term career in showbizz. You cannot maintain this kind of exposure your entire life. If your career is over as soon as the exposure slows down, that means you've never really established yourself as an artist in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Justin Timberlake was never as famous and established as Beyonce is, nowhere near it. Can you see him getting invited to the President's inauguration not once but twice even at the heyday of his career? Justin Timberlake was on the same level as Usher and Chris Brown, more or less.

That tactic has worked for dozens of artists, it is pretty much the only way to secure a long-term career in showbizz. You cannot maintain this kind of exposure your entire life. If your career is over as soon as the exposure slows down, that means you've never really established yourself as an artist in the first place.
Well, the problem with what you are saying is... Unless you listen to urban radio... She HAS taken time off. Not one song from the 4 album was a mainstream (read: pop radio) hit. That Girls Run The World song got a big splashy debut then nothing. As a result the 4 album sold less than her previous albums because all its hits were on urban radio only. Critics loved it and R&B types liked the songs but that was it. Pop radio has not been saturated with Beyonce. Not only that, she famously took an extended break before she recorded the 4 album, saying she had been going nonstop for 10 years and wanted to breathe. She traveled the world and posted lots of pictures during tht time.

I can't even remember her last big TV performance pre inauguration. It might have been when she announced her pregnancy while singing Love On Top. Since the baby just turned one, that was about a year and a half ago. Ditto touring. She did that around the time the 4 album came out (almost 2 years ago?). She hasn't done any new movies either.

The reason you feel she hasn't taken a break is because she has endorsements as well as her own perfume and clothing line. When she's not having songs on the radio she has commercials on the air. So unless you are arguing she should give those up, I'm not sure what can be done about that. She also had a baby, you might have seen it on the news? LOL. Seriously she's a very famous person who gets covered when she sneezes. She's married to a very famous man. The media will write about her every move regardless.

The thing is, people like Madonna and Micheal Jackson took breaks between records but never stopped getting press coverage either. When you have that level of fame, you don't go away. I said level of fame, not level of iconic status, so none of y'all start with me. LOL

Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times
Beyonce is crazy hot. She's like 1 in 10,000 hot. I think why people hate her....

-Natural beauty. She doesn't need cosmetic surgery.

-There's envy, being the $300 million power couple with Jay Z.

-She pretty much epitomizes modern marketing fame. A real talent like Alicia Keys has 1/30th of the fame she has.

Why doesn't Alicia Keys generate so much hate? I think she isn't as over exposed. Much more low key lifestyle. I think people are tired of seeing Beyonce all the time.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The reason you feel she hasn't taken a break is because she has endorsements as well as her own perfume and clothing line. When she's not having songs on the radio she has commercials on the air. So unless you are arguing she should give those up, I'm not sure what can be done about that.

I think you're 100% right. I remember one day flipping through the channels and I saw a commercial for her fragrance, then like 2 minutes later a L'Oreal hair commercial and then in the next break one for L'oreal makeup. I was annoyed because I already hate commercials but the same commercials over and over within 15 minutes of each other

I grew up in the 90's so I kinda understand what the other poster was saying. I remember seeing TLC on the MC Hammer tour & waking up early in the morning the day Crazy Sexy Cool came out so I could make sure to get a copy because I had been listening to my Ohhhh On the TLC Tip everyday for like the last 6 months. Other than occasional videos, I only saw them in an article in Sista to Sista or Word Up magazines. Every once in awhile they would get some radio airplay.

Now just about ever BIG celeb endorses something; even Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj endorsing Pepsi products (wonder why Bill Reilly didn't call for a boycott?), they all have behind the scenes stories on various channels, they're being interviewed on day and night talk shows, they make guest appearances on other reality shows (mentors on AI, America's Best Dance Crew, So You Think You Can Dance, etc) AND they get covered by the news. Like in the middle of reporting bank robberies and school's closing, we get an Lindsay Lohan update. Then when you get online they're everywhere; pop-ups, youtube, yahoo news. So it seems like they're ALWAYS around but unless she moves into a hole there's really nothing she can do at this point but own it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Why doesn't Alicia Keys generate so much hate? I think she isn't as over exposed. Much more low key lifestyle.
Different genres. Beyonce is Pop; Alicia Keys is more R&B.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,571 times
Quote:
The reason you feel she hasn't taken a break is because she has endorsements as well as her own perfume and clothing line. When she's not having songs on the radio she has commercials on the air. So unless you are arguing she should give those up, I'm not sure what can be done about that. She also had a baby, you might have seen it on the news? LOL. Seriously she's a very famous person who gets covered when she sneezes. She's married to a very famous man. The media will write about her every move regardless.

The thing is, people like Madonna and Micheal Jackson took breaks between records but never stopped getting press coverage either. When you have that level of fame, you don't go away. I said level of fame, not level of iconic status, so none of y'all start with me. LOL
That's why I said she needs to take a break from the public, not necessarily from music alone. Certain things are out of her control (like when tabloids make up stories about her) but she can choose not to give interviews, not to attend award shows or other public ceremonies, not to do photoshoots, not to do commercials, etc. during her 'break'. This is a conscious choice she's making and she's free to do so, but don't be surprised when people are getting tired of her.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
That's why I said she needs to take a break from the public, not necessarily from music alone. Certain things are out of her control (like when tabloids make up stories about her) but she can choose not to give interviews, not to attend award shows or other public ceremonies, not to do photoshoots, not to do commercials, etc. during her 'break'. This is a conscious choice she's making and she's free to do so, but don't be surprised when people are getting tired of her.
Nah still wouldn't work. Her commercials would still run & her products would still be on display (soon as I walk in my local mall they have a 5"7 display of her right in the front door) and magazines would still name her the most beautiful woman EVER and airbrush her all over the place with old photos. You can't escape from Planet Beyonce

Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:

You can't sign endorsement deals and then tell multiple companies they aren't allowed to run ads or commercials during X period. Not to mention, she's not going to stop trying to sell her own perfume, etc at any time. That would be bad business.

Outside of that, she has done everything else you are talking about before. It made no real difference.

Add to the fact that when she's on a break, her husband often isn't, so if she shows up at his concert or record release party to support him - BAM - she's back in the news. Ditto her sister as well as the other members of Destiny's Child. She was getting hounded just walking into mini-vans with her baby right after the kid was born.

Mind you I am not disagreeing with you that Beyonce has saturated the media and it would be great if she could pull back some, but really when you look at it there is not much someone like her can do without making some astoundingly bad business moves or becoming a virtual hermit who never sees sunlight, and even then it wouldn't have much that of an impact.

Madonna didn't "go away" until she started making bad records and/or becoming passe. That's how it will be with Beyonce. And just like Madonna, when it finally happens, she will have spend 10+ years as a huge hitmaker, so her legacy will be cemented. This girl is approaching something like 15 years at the top of the charts. I know people like to say she will be forgotten, but I really really don't think so with her track record.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 AM

506 posts, read 958,160 times
The only people who hate Beyonce are people who follow celebs lives too much. Some people need to leave this celebrity culture behind.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Madonna didn't "go away" until she started making bad records and/or becoming passe. That's how it will be with Beyonce. And just like Madonna, when it finally happens, she will have spend 10+ years as a huge hitmaker, so her legacy will be cemented. This girl is approaching something like 15 years at the top of the charts. I know people like to say she will be forgotten, but I really really don't think so with her track record.
I'm thinking eventually she's going to do less of the booty shaking, bump and grind dancing and go back to singing songs that don't require all that dancing and movement. Like Me, Myself & I, Halo, Irreplaceable, Hello, etc...those songs that still have a beat but are a little less pop, a little more R&B; she'll probably only put out studio albums every 4 -5 years...and then a new Miss It will come along & snatch up a good part of her fan base and she'll just have her die-hard fans that will still show up at tours in record numbers and she'll have a part of her show where she puts on a throwback costume & do some of the songs that made her famous. And then some youngster will remix her songs or use the beat and she'll show up in the video as the MILF (i.e Kelly Rowland & Patti Labelle on Nelly's song) and she'll gain some younger fans again.

I think that's just the natural progression of music. It amazes me to this day at the crowds that groups like New Edition & New Kids on The Block can pull in.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,753 times
Quote:

Again, that is your opinion and mine is the opposite. I don't know how you can say he's not as established during his 'heyday' as she was when they both were in very successful groups and then each launched worldwide solo careers and around the same time to boot. He also has done the halftime show long before she was invited to do it (not that that signifies success but you brought up the inauguration as if that signifies success).

Both of their groups have sold over 50 million albums (Nsync sold that many in 3 albums, btw). Yes she has been a more successful solo artist but don't tell me he's not on her level in terms of fame if you haven't looked up any information on actual sales.

Also what do you mean 'maintain this kind of exposure your entire life?' LOL. She's putting out albums and making public appearances just like all the rest of the singers out there and as someone mentioned, isn't that what she's SUPPOSED to be doing?? Rihanna puts out an album once a year and faster then any artist I've seen; she's very 'exposed' yet she has been the 'queen' of digital singles sales and her albums constantly do well. If the music is 'good' (which is subjective) people are going to buy it, they don't care that you put out an album every year for the last five.

Here's a recent article about what happens when an artist takes 6 years off....Again, it is common knowledge those familiar with the music industry that the tactic I discussed earlier does NOT typically work. It defeats the purpose of trying to become a successful musician if your intent is to 'walk away for 5 years' at the height of your fame. It's counter productive.

Justin Timberlake Single Sales Soft: Is it Jay Z or the Six Year Absence? | Showbiz411

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 02-05-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities