Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 PM

322 posts, read 275,958 times

Advertisements

who's next, the pope?

Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
who's next, the pope?
Almost. Garrison Keillor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/b...lor-fired.html

Old 11-29-2017, 01:46 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Seems to me that in a lot of these cases of actors/tv/media personalities being accused, the employers are joyful to have a reason to fire an employee they've been wanting to get rid of for a long time. I fairly recently read an article in some magazine (was it Vanity Fair?) that said that Lauer was disliked by his superiors but had an ironclad contract.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:00 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I dont know that we can say that with any certainty. By their own admission they got the complaint Monday, investigated Tuesday and fired him Tuesday night. Since we dont know all of the details it could be anything from "where there's smoke there's fire" to "glaring evidence".

FWIW the rumor I read was that this allegedly assaulted this girl during the Rio Olympics. Now people will question the victim (at least in this case) because Lauer is a known womanizer. He's basically known for his extramarital affairs. They have always been consensual as far as we know so this accusation goes against what we know about him. It's only human nature to question it and not immediately take it at face value.
Wrong.
It was the Sochi (Russia) winter Olympics in 2014.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:03 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

So what we have to do is figure out how to make due process fair to everyone.
You keep saying "due process", but that is a term from the judicial system--someone's employment contract doesn't necessarily fall under those same rules, especially if they are employed at-will. Obviously, NBC's HR reviewed the complaints against Lauer and took action. Could he sue for workplace discrimination? Maybe, but it wouldn't be a good look.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:10 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I stopped watching the Today show when they fired Ann Curry.
Yeah, Ann was great.

I never cared for Matt --AKA: Mr.Cocky.

To me, Charlie was a bit irritating, stiff, and whiney sounding . My opinion only; so don't you Charlie lovers pounce on the pickle for personal opinion.

IMO, King is the only appealing one left.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You keep saying "due process", but that is a term from the judicial system--someone's employment contract doesn't necessarily fall under those same rules, especially if they are employed at-will. Obviously, NBC's HR reviewed the complaints against Lauer and took action. Could he sue for workplace discrimination? Maybe, but it wouldn't be a good look.

Being able to terminate someone at will is one thing. Publicly sullying his reputation is something else.

I'm not about to jump on the "all men are scum" bandwagon, and I don't believe these decades-later repressed memories. And I want to know what the harassment was, and who's alleging it, because dirty jokes are often conflated with serious assaults. Has the victim been complaining for decades? That's credible. And what do the accused have to say?

I'm not sure that Lauer's employer cared about any of that.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Being able to terminate someone at will is one thing. Publicly sullying his reputation is something else.

I'm not about to jump on the "all men are scum" bandwagon, and I don't believe these decades-later repressed memories. And I want to know what the harassment was, and who's alleging it, because dirty jokes are often conflated with serious assaults. Has the victim been complaining for decades? That's credible. And what do the accused have to say?

I'm not sure that Lauer's employer cared about any of that.
Here's a start: Matt Lauer Accused of Sexual Harassment by Multiple Women (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety

Quote:
As the co-host of NBC’s “Today,” Matt Lauer once gave a colleague a sex toy as a present. It included an explicit note about how he wanted to use it on her, which left her mortified.

On another day, he summoned a different female employee to his office, and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis. After the employee declined to do anything, visibly shaken, he reprimanded her for not engaging in a sexual act.

He would sometimes quiz female producers about who they’d slept with, offering to trade names. And he loved to engage in a crass quiz game with men and women in the office: “f—, marry, or kill,” in which he would identify the female co-hosts that he’d most like to sleep with.

These accounts of Lauer’s behavior at NBC are the result of a two-month investigation by Variety, with dozens of interviews with current and former staffers. Variety has talked to three women who identified themselves as victims of sexual harassment by Lauer, and their stories have been corroborated by friends or colleagues that they told at the time. They have asked for now to remain unnamed, fearing professional repercussions.
Very little of these accusations have to do with "repressed memories". Because there's safety in numbers, women are finally feeling emboldened to speak truth to power, and to no longer stay silent about the mistreatment they've experienced, that men like Lauer have gotten away with for years.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:42 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Here's a start: Matt Lauer Accused of Sexual Harassment by Multiple Women (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety

Very little of these accusations have to do with "repressed memories". Because there's safety in numbers, women are finally feeling emboldened to speak truth to power, and to no longer stay silent about the mistreatment they've experienced.

Are you kidding me? A two-month hit piece, er...investigation...by Variety? I'm referring to NBC, his employer, receiving a complaint Monday, then summarily firing him a day later. And you know it.

My standards are a lot higher than those of a supposedly adult woman claiming to have been "mortified" about a sex toy--and those of people who so quickly believe these anonymous complaints about the latest, curious, offense: undressed men reportedly exposing their wares.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
My standards are a lot higher than those of a supposedly adult woman claiming to have been "mortified" about a sex toy
You left off the part where he gave her written instructions on exactly how he wanted to use the sex toy on her. You find nothing wrong with that? I find it very disturbing and yes, as an adult woman I would be mortified if a male colleague gave me such a "gift".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities