Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First of all, I fully realize the definition of due process. I had to follow due process as a principal when I suspended students or expelled student.
That is because you had to follow the law in regards to students. Those laws do not apply to Matt Lauer. He is not a child being expelled from school. He is a grown adult who was sexually harassing his female coworkers.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
How did Bill O'Riley get $millions when he left and Charlie and Matt get zip?
Whassup with that?...I think timing?

Old 11-29-2017, 07:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
Quote:
My guess is that Lauer is guilty of most of what he has been accused of.
My question is: what have they proved?
I heard mention of texts...

Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Do we know for certain that they get nothing? I doubt timing changes the contents of their contracts.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 PM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That is because you had to follow the law in regards to students. Those laws do not apply to Matt Lauer. He is not a child being expelled from school. He is a grown adult who was sexually harassing his female coworkers.
As I have already said, I fully understand the difference between a legal requirement for due process and, what I'll call a moral requirement for due process. In these cases it seems me where we are getting awfully close to the point where all someone has to do is make an accusation against an actor (or other person), and the assumption becomes that they are guilty. I do not think that is right. Not every accuser for any topic is always being honest. Think about it if you were accused, and innocent, should you be fired? That's my issue.

As I said, it sounds as if Matt Lauer had a problem. And if so, and there is EVIDENCE, then so be it.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Matt was losing his draw power
Bill Reilly was still decent draw from viewers not sponsors
Reilly still has radio show
Matt doesnt

Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 PM

18,136 posts, read 15,709,192 times
From Page Six:

Matt Lauer has also been accused of sexting female staffers at NBC, allegedly sending lewd messages and revealing pictures to women including a young intern.

Sources tell Page Six that the reason he was fired so quickly by NBC News is that the messages, saved by an NBC employee whom he approached while they were in Sochi, Russia, for the 2014 Winter Olympics, “showed incontrovertible proof of inappropriate sexual behavior on his part.”

It is believed the first woman to come forward and complain about Lauer is a junior production worker who was at the 2014 Sochi Olympics as an intern, where she was first approached by Lauer.

NBC News President Andy Lack said in a meeting with staff Wednesday that Lauer’s involvement with the woman, who has not been named but is still an NBC employee, continued after they returned to New York.

A source told Page Six, “There’s at least one picture [sent to her by Matt] which was a major part of the evidence, which is why the firing came so quickly … my understanding was it was so damning that it was unquestionable whether or not he should be fired.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
In these cases it seems me where we are getting awfully close to the point where all someone has to do is make an accusation against an actor (or other person), and the assumption becomes that they are guilty. I do not think that is right. Not every accuser for any topic is always being honest. Think about it if you were accused, and innocent, should you be fired? That's my issue.
There are multiple woman sharing their stories. You think multiple woman are lying? His wife filed for divorce a few years ago because he was physically aggressive and controlling, you think she was also lying?

If he shouldn't have been fired, then what? just let him keep his job, continue reporting the news, let him continue sexually harassing the women in his work place?

Old 11-29-2017, 07:54 PM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There are multiple woman sharing their stories. You think multiple woman are lying? His wife filed for divorce a few years ago because he was physically aggressive and controlling, you think she was also lying?

If he shouldn't have been fired, then what? just let him keep his job, continue reporting the news, let him continue sexually harassing the women in his work place?
You quote a paragraph of mine where I don't even mention Matt Lauer, but instead talk about a general principle of an assumption of innocence until guilt or responsibility is proven (and yes, I know this is not a court of law).

I've already said that it appears that in Lauer's case he is "guilty" of what he has been accused of. So I am not sympathetic to his case. Particularly with the latest info that has come out later in the day, it appears that his firing was reasonable. But mere accusations of others in the entertainment field may not be as clear cut, and I think companies and bosses need to be careful and need to be fair to both the accuser and the accused. OR DO YOU NOT BELIEVE IN FAIRNESS?

Old 11-29-2017, 07:55 PM

18,136 posts, read 15,709,192 times
Most states are Work-At-Will, which means an employee can be fired for any reason as long as it's not for one of the protected reasons (race, gender, religion, age, etc).

Lauer's lucrative contract would have had 1 or more clauses in it which clearly spell out terms under which he would be considered in breach of contract and could be terminated immediately. Sexual harassment or misconduct would absolutely be covered by that. Anything that violates a company's HR policies could be breach of contract.

Sexting various women at work, including sending pics of yourself that could be construed as sexual in nature, is considered sexual misconduct and harassment. Coercing an employee to have sex and the employee is in fear of losing their job if they don't comply is also a big no-no. Common sense, really. That Lauer got away with his egregious conduct for so long is really the big story. He's known for being a scummy philanderer, but I guess people didn't realize what all he was doing aside from the women he harassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.