Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 AM

862 posts, read 1,645,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
How do you know he was not Christian? There's a chance of miscarriage anytime you get pregnant, BCP or no. And doctor's can be wrong, Christian or not. I never said every single person who claims the BCP can cause a miscarriage HAS to be Christian. And I never said there aren't other doctors out there claiming there's a connection between BCPs and miscarrige.
How do I know he wasn't a Christian? Because he was Jewish, and his whole practice was Jewish.

Where did I say that doctor's can't be wrong?

Where did I say that you said every single person who claims the pill can cause a miscarriage has to be Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think you're underestimating how much influence a passing comment can have on people in such a highly vulnerable state.
I just don't think that one statement from the doctor means the doctor convinced them. I think that with their prior religious beliefs, that one statement might have gotten them to thinking and researching, and praying, and they came to the decision with all those factors, not just the doctor's one statement.

Heck, I guess since my cousin heard Dale JR on TV say that driving cars fast was fun, and he died in a car accident where he was driving too fast, then my aunt and uncle should be able to sue Dale JR because he convinced my cousin to drive fast by his one statement on TV?

What I'm trying to say, is the Duggars are adults. It is their decision what to do. And I don't think 18 babies and over 18 years later, it's the doctor's statement way back when that is the determining factor they still having babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM

10,217 posts, read 17,918,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
I just don't think that one statement from the doctor means the doctor convinced them. I think that with their prior religious beliefs, that one statement might have gotten them to thinking and researching, and praying, and they came to the decision with all those factors, not just the doctor's one statement.
Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think that given the fact that they felt it worthy enough to mention on their official website, his comments obviously played a major factor in their decision and given their highly emotional and vulnerable state, it's likely that his comments had a huge impact on them.

Quote:
Heck, I guess since my cousin heard Dale JR on TV say that driving cars fast was fun, and he died in a car accident where he was driving too fast, then my aunt and uncle should be able to sue Dale JR because he convinced my cousin to drive fast by his one statement on TV?
I never said anyone should be suing anyone. And it's a completely different situation because stop me if I'm wrong but your cousin was not in a highly emotional state of mind and grief when he heard Dale JR say driving fast car is fun so the influence is simply not comparable. When people are as upset as they can be after hearing about a miscarriage, as I kept saying, they are highly vulnerable. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin, I truly am... but it's not the same thing and it's not comparable.

Plus, Dale Jr said this on TV, not directly to your cousin like the doctor did with the Duggars. Of course people should be careful about what they say on TV too but speaking directly to someone generally has much more influence on people.

What WOULD be comparable is if, during the emotionally fragile time his parents experienced after his death, someone made a comment that suggested it was their fault for not raising him to know that driving fast was reckless and dangerous... and this caused your poor aunt and uncle to blame themselves. I certainly hope no one would do that, just as I hope that no one would ever suggest to a couple who just suffered a miscarriage that it was their fault for using hormonal birth control, especially when there's no conclusive evidence that it's even true!

Quote:
What I'm trying to say, is the Duggars are adults. It is their decision what to do. And I don't think 18 babies and over 18 years later, it's the doctor's statement way back when that is the determining factor they still having babies.
Of course they're adults and I do consider their own choice in it - but don't underestimate the influence someone can have over even an adult in a highly vulnerable state. I once knew a woman who was in a car accident and her first husband died. In the hospital, a nurse noticed she was wearing opals and commented that wearing opals when it's not your birthstone is bad luck so the accident was a result of that. This poor woman, normally rational but overcome with grief was in such a vulnerable state that instead of rolling her eyes at such a ridiculous comment, she vowed never to wear opals again and blame herself for her husband's death. Like I keep saying... DON'T underestimate the power of someone's word when a person is in a highly emotional and vulnerable state. It REALLY effs with peoples heads.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,803,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_mom09 View Post
what do you think about her having her 19 child????

what are thoughts on this
What do you think, if it was a brown family of 19 on tv?? What would people think or say???

Back to Topic: Someone need a hobby.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 PM

497 posts, read 1,177,874 times
It's astonishing to me that because the Duggars have 19 children, people assume that means they are constantly having sex. No, it means they had sex at least 19 times in the over 25 years they've been married.

I've watched and see where no child is off being neglected or ignored, none of the older kids seem over worked or resentful of caring for the little ones, none of my tax dollars are being used to feed and clothes this family, the wife does not seem as if she is being abused or they live in squallor.

In fact, all kids seem happy and healthy. The family is constantly on the go doing something fun.

Everyone is well fed and clothed and the house is absolutely gorgeous and appears very clean.

The kids are smart and receiving good educations. I'd say Mom and Dad are doing something right.

In a world where we see some only child go shoot up his school or murder their parents...I'd say Jim Bob and Michelle are doing just fine.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,694,631 times
Should be a law against having that many children. I dont care if they do take good care of them. There is just something wrong about it.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM

444 posts, read 800,328 times
Just because the lifestyle isn't right for me, doesn't mean it's not for them. They are different people who have many children. Big deal. They take care of them, support them and love them all. I couldn't do it and I bet the majority of people on here couldn't either. But since the Duggar's can, why don't we let them and quit bashing them for the choices they make. i sincerely doubt they would bash you for yours.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 AM

497 posts, read 1,177,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Should be a law against having that many children. I dont care if they do take good care of them. There is just something wrong about it.

What. Tell me what is wrong with it and why you think there should be a law. Does that law pertain to the Projects dwelling black women dropping a baby every year so she can get a bigger Welfare check? Does that law pertain to the trailer dwelling white trash female having a baby a year so her Gubmit check is bigger? Oh, and few of them even know who de baby daddy is. Just watch maury povich if you don't believe me. He has made a fortune off those people. Should there be a law preventing that too?

Your remark was beyond stupid.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,179,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60'sGal View Post
It's astonishing to me that because the Duggars have 19 children, people assume that means they are constantly having sex. No, it means they had sex at least 19 times in the over 25 years they've been married.

I've watched and see where no child is off being neglected or ignored, none of the older kids seem over worked or resentful of caring for the little ones, none of my tax dollars are being used to feed and clothes this family, the wife does not seem as if she is being abused or they live in squallor.

In fact, all kids seem happy and healthy. The family is constantly on the go doing something fun.

Everyone is well fed and clothed and the house is absolutely gorgeous and appears very clean.

The kids are smart and receiving good educations. I'd say Mom and Dad are doing something right.

In a world where we see some only child go shoot up his school or murder their parents...I'd say Jim Bob and Michelle are doing just fine.
All of the things you have said are true. I know the Duggar family quite well. People seriously need to understand what they see on TV one might be scriped and two might be very different than in real life due to editing.

With that being said...I will say that yes all the Duggar kids are happy, healthy, respectful, well mannered, helpful, and educated.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,208,531 times
I think that having 19 kids is really, really unnecessary. they should have stopped at like 8 or 9. The problem isn't that THEY had 19 kids, it's that they taught those 19 kids that having such a large family is okay. Imagine the problems that could cause down the road :X

Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,694,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60'sGal View Post
What. Tell me what is wrong with it and why you think there should be a law. Does that law pertain to the Projects dwelling black women dropping a baby every year so she can get a bigger Welfare check? Does that law pertain to the trailer dwelling white trash female having a baby a year so her Gubmit check is bigger? Oh, and few of them even know who de baby daddy is. Just watch maury povich if you don't believe me. He has made a fortune off those people. Should there be a law preventing that too?

Your remark was beyond stupid.
I didnt realize you were on foodstamps. I can see how my remark would upset someone living on section 8. Go back and get your G.E.D. I have faith in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities