Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:30 PM

863 posts, read 1,646,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Their doctor was the one who caused all this to begin with! Their doctor was the one who took advantage of them in a highly emotional state and convinced them that any type of birth control was going against God's will and that God should decide when they should have kids and how many. In their mind, if God wants them to stop having children, he won't send them anymore. So they will continue to have as many kids as God wills, complications or not! You can't talk sense to people like that, especially if they still surround themselves with doctors who have religious agendas.
I have NEVER heard them say a doctor convinced them anything. They had Joshua, had a miscarriage and decided that children were God's gift so they would let God decided when and how many they had.

Hopefully they will take this near fatality for Michelle and Josie as a sign from God that it's time to stop. Past time IMO. But if they don't, that's THEIR business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,249,186 times
Quote:
Their doctor was the one who caused all this to begin with! Their doctor was the one who took advantage of them in a highly emotional state and convinced them that any type of birth control was going against God's will and that God should decide when they should have kids and how many. In their mind, if God wants them to stop having children, he won't send them anymore. So they will continue to have as many kids as God wills, complications or not! You can't talk sense to people like that, especially if they still surround themselves with doctors who have religious agendas.
I don't think their doc said all that. The doctor told them that the pill likely caused their first pregnancy to end in miscarriage. I think they came up with the rest of that themselves.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,893,719 times
She is not that old. More and more women in their 40's and even 50's are having babies now. Michelle is what, only 42? That is NOT too old to have a baby.

She had a gall bladder attack, people. That is what triggered labor. Her premature labor has nothing to do with her uterus failing her. It was just an unfortunate collision of two unrelated events -- cholecystitis and pregnancy. She will likely have two more babies before she's done and I'll bet future pregnancies will go just fine.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,947,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
I have NEVER heard them say a doctor convinced them anything. They had Joshua, had a miscarriage and decided that children were God's gift so they would let God decided when and how many they had.
Actually, it says so right on their official website. At least, it did the last time I checked - the website doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment so I can't check to see if it's changed. But I can refer you to my post earlier in this very topic where I pointed this out to someone else and quoted the official website: https://www.city-data.com/forum/10568166-post38.html

This is what I originally quoted from the website:

Quote:
Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar married July 21st, 1984. At that time, they chose to use the birth control pill. They thought, “We don’t want children right now. We can’t afford them. We want children in our timing, when we’re ready.†Four years later they decided to have their first child. Then, Michelle went back on the pill, but she conceived and had a miscarriage. At that point they talked with a Christian medical doctor and read the fine print in the contraceptives package. They found that while taking the pill you can get pregnant and then miscarry. They were grieved! They were Christians! They were pro-life! They realized that their selfish actions had taken the life of their child. They prayed and asked God to forgive them, and to teach them to love children like He loves children. They asked God to bless them with as many children as He saw fit in His timing. Right after that Michelle got pregnant with twins!
So basically, this "Christian medical doctor" convinced them that the miscarriage was THEIR fault for using birth control pills, pushing his own beliefs on them during a highly vulnerable state and guilting them into such an extreme reaction. Had it not been for the doctor convincing them the miscarriage was a result of the BCP, they probably never would have chosen this lifestyle.

Sure, maybe the Duggars don't actually use the word "convince" but if you read that and can't see what a obviously HUGE influence that doctor's words had on them, you're clearly missing something. I've seen other circumstances where someone has just suffered an extreme tragedy and basically been told it's all their fault... it really effs with people's heads and causes extreme reactions, just like this.

And btw, there's no conclusive evidence that the BCP causes miscarriages. I've read the fine print of BCPs and it never says it can cause a miscarriage - all it says is that if you think you're pregnant, you should stop taking the pill.

Quote:
But if they don't, that's THEIR business.
When they put themselves on TV and in the media, they are making it everyone's business.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:41 AM

did anyone watch the special last night about the birth of #19 Josie Brooklyn? It brought tears to my eyes at a couple points. the look on Jim bob's face when it became apparent that the baby would be born early showed raw emotion. And all those kids crowded around the tiny baby meeting her for the first time... it was almost silent.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,760,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
did anyone watch the special last night about the birth of #19 Josie Brooklyn? It brought tears to my eyes at a couple points. the look on Jim bob's face when it became apparent that the baby would be born early showed raw emotion. And all those kids crowded around the tiny baby meeting her for the first time... it was almost silent.
I watched. I was very surprised in how they kept doing the show while their mother was in the hospital. I mean it was a family crisis but they went on like nothing. I saw when Jim Bob was about to cry. I think his concerns were about his wife not the baby because as soon as the baby was born he was back to normal. Another thing I noticed was how naive the family was about what having a baby in the NICU means. When they got the news of the baby while in El Salvador they were all celebrating. Nobody realized that the baby was very sick and was fighting for her life. They realized that when they finally saw her. That is why they were all teary.
On another topic it didn't look like Anna was going to want to have that many children. She was overwhelmed while babysitting. Even Josh seem to enjoy his life with only one baby.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I watched. I was very surprised in how they kept doing the show while their mother was in the hospital. I mean it was a family crisis but they went on like nothing. I saw when Jim Bob was about to cry. I think his concerns were about his wife not the baby because as soon as the baby was born he was back to normal. Another thing I noticed was how naive the family was about what having a baby in the NICU means. When they got the news of the baby while in El Salvador they were all celebrating. Nobody realized that the baby was very sick and was fighting for her life. They realized that when they finally saw her. That is why they were all teary.
On another topic it didn't look like Anna was going to want to have that many children. She was overwhelmed while babysitting. Even Josh seem to enjoy his life with only one baby.
I noticed how exhausted Josh and Anna looked when they were babysitting and wondered what was going through their minds about having a ton of kids! I was also surprised that they had cameras rolling through all of that. Maybe they were already filming when the problems started so they just kept going?? It also looked like some of it was taken themselves w/o a camera crew.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:20 PM

863 posts, read 1,646,290 times
Quote:
Actually, it says so right on their official website. At least, it did the last time I checked - the website doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment so I can't check to see if it's changed. But I can refer you to my post earlier in this very topic where I pointed this out to someone else and quoted the official website: https://www.city-data.com/forum/10568166-post38.html

This is what I originally quoted from the website:

So basically, this "Christian medical doctor" convinced them that the miscarriage was THEIR fault for using birth control pills, pushing his own beliefs on them during a highly vulnerable state and guilting them into such an extreme reaction. Had it not been for the doctor convincing them the miscarriage was a result of the BCP, they probably never would have chosen this lifestyle.

Sure, maybe the Duggars don't actually use the word "convince" but if you read that and can't see what a obviously HUGE influence that doctor's words had on them, you're clearly missing something. I've seen other circumstances where someone has just suffered an extreme tragedy and basically been told it's all their fault... it really effs with people's heads and causes extreme reactions, just like this.

And btw, there's no conclusive evidence that the BCP causes miscarriages. I've read the fine print of BCPs and it never says it can cause a miscarriage - all it says is that if you think you're pregnant, you should stop taking the pill.

When they put themselves on TV and in the media, they are making it everyone's business.
My best friend's doctor told her that there was a chance of miscarriage if you use birth control pills while pregnant. He was not a Christian. He was stating facts. So, no, unless the Duggars say it themselves that the Christian Doctor continually pointed out that by using Birth Control Pills they could get pregnant, then have a miscarriage, I won't think the doctor had a major part of their decision. Might have put the seed of doubt in their minds, by which they decided to further check into the possibility. THere is alot of information out there - even back then - that is IMO "scare tactic" information to try to put the fear into people NOT to use birth control.

And yes, I agree, they put themselves on TV so put themselves out for public judgement. I still think it is THEIR business if they have more kids or not. But is my right, and your right, to comment on it. No where did I ever state that people shouldn't comment on it.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:53 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,306,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think she acts like she's medicated. She seems like she's on autopilot to me. I would never be able to relax with all those kids in the house. But that's me. That's why I only have 2!
No need for her to be frazzled. She has the older daughters taking care of the younger siblings. I feel for these young women. Basically mothers as opposed to teenagers.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,947,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
My best friend's doctor told her that there was a chance of miscarriage if you use birth control pills while pregnant. He was not a Christian. He was stating facts.
How do you know he was not Christian? There's a chance of miscarriage anytime you get pregnant, BCP or no. And doctor's can be wrong, Christian or not. I never said every single person who claims the BCP can cause a miscarriage HAS to be Christian. And I never said there aren't other doctors out there claiming there's a connection between BCPs and miscarriages.

But the fact is, I've used multiple brands of BCPs in both the US and UK and never did the fine print mention the word "miscarriage". The Duggars' doctor claimed that it does. From what I've read there are some studies which claim the BCP can increase the risk of a miscarriage - but there are just as many, if not more studies which found the BCP does NOT increase the risk. Therefore, there's no conclusive proof that there's any connection at all. Furthermore, most medical sources will admit that the cause of most miscarriages in the first trimester is unknown so it's difficult to pinpoint it on the BCP.

Quote:
So, no, unless the Duggars say it themselves that the Christian Doctor continually pointed out that by using Birth Control Pills they could get pregnant, then have a miscarriage, I won't think the doctor had a major part of their decision.
He had a major enough part in their decision to mention it on their official website! I think you're underestimating how much influence a passing comment can have on people in such a highly vulnerable state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities