Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,159,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
IMO, it's not right to cheat on your spouse and/or someone you've had a child with. That's so disrespectful to the significant other. However, what others do is their business.

I myself have been married almost 30 years. I love my wife deeply and have been faithful to her throughout our entire marriage. To cheat on her would bring dishonor to my entire family, and make me less of a Father in the eyes of my 8 children.

To those citing the Bible as their source of right and wrong, also note that the Bible states "He who is without sin may cast the first stone" and " Judge ye not lest ye be judged ".

That said, there are only sinners on this Earth. There are no perfect persons or saints here. The ONLY place for one to locate such sainthood, perfectness, and total godliness, would be Heaven.

I just think it's rather sad that everyone's private business has now become entertainment for public consumption. That's a sad commentary on the state of today's society. Forty years ago, these kinds of things would have never been discussed in public. We as a nation, have certainly lost a lot of our moral discretion.
Well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,083,753 times
Don't know if this has been gone over on this thread. But one of Letterman's workers/mistresses has been asked to take an unspecified paid leave of absence.

Wonder if some of these woman are going to take him to court? I think it is a matter of time.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,101,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Have seen a lot of preaching for both moral higher ground and for moral relativity. Let me put this in another perspective, no reason to blast a Christian for sharing his view nor to preach that we are all going to hell in a hand basket because of the antics of a rich TV personality.

I for one do not look to David Letterman or any other TV host as my personal moral barometer. However, the place where I predict this will hurt him will not be as much in his monologues, where any mocking of politicians and their affairs will now be looked at as hypocritical --- but in his interviewing of young female entertainers. I have always felt he came across as a dirty old man, throwing out double entendres with a bit of a wink whenever he was interviewing a 20 something young lady.

Now with this bit of his personal history exposed, his playful banter with younger ladies (that has always seemed to have a lecherous tone) will not play so well.

Of course the extortioner committed the crime here. Unless someone comes forth with charges of sexual harrassment, what Letterman did will not be seen wrong in any legal sense. Outrage because a rich celebrity committed adultery -- or if not adultery, at least workplace sexual affairs? Maybe we are jaded in our culture beyond a point where we should be, but where is the big surprise in that?

What will hurt him will be his ability to poke fun at others in his monologues. One who takes on celebrity and politico sins, even in a comedic vein, are setting themselves up on morally higher ground. But what will hurt him more (IMHO) will be his ability to interview attractive young ladies without us thinking "wonder what he's thinking" and being somewhat repulsed by that.

At a time when he had a chance to rise in the spotlight (with the changes at NBC), this will damage his career.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,529,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Don't know if this has been gone over on this thread. But one of Letterman's workers/mistresses has been asked to take an unspecified paid leave of absence.

Wonder if some of these woman are going to take him to court? I think it is a matter of time.
After a search on Google it seems Stephanie Birkit, now Letterman's attorney, is on extended leave. She isn't banned from the building as one source reported.

It also revealed that Dave's wife insisted that he apologize to her and staff members publicly on Monday's show. FWIW.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,190,094 times
Quote:

post a link please

Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 PM

It was on CNN this morning, they said that she was asked to take the leave because it was causing a distraction:

Letterman's Hookup on Paid Leave, While Dave Keeps on Cracking Jokes - E! Online
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/bu...letterman.html

The lady at the center of Bill O'Reily's sex scandal they say she has not been able to work again in the entertainment business when everything went public. There is a similar concern for the Letterman women as well that are currently involved.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,190,094 times
Quote:
It was on CNN this morning, they said that she was asked to take the leave because it was causing a distraction:

Letterman's Hookup on Paid Leave, While Dave Keeps on Cracking Jokes - E! Online
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/bu...letterman.html

The lady at the center of Bill O'Reily's sex scandal they say she has not been able to work again in the entertainment business when everything went public. There is a similar concern for the Letterman women as well that are currently involved.
no one forced anyone to have sex with Letterman.................to my knowledge
No doubt she won't be without a paycheck. Woooohoooo a vacation and sex!! who could ask for more??

Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Dream, You are right no one forced anyone to have sex with the guy. But a lot of women organizations see his behavior to be predatory and unfair to other women who might have been passed by for a promotion because they didn't hook up with him. I don't completely see it that way but I get their point of view. He was the boss and now he has subjected these women into potentially being black balled from a career in television. Why people get together with people at work I just don't understand why people choose to create a potential hostile environment for themselves. Especially when that person is the boss, the women could have gotten fired if they had a fight or something.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Also, don't even be surprised when Letterman and the network have to pay/settle with these women at some point. That is why all of these organizations and attorney's have air time because they feel they have a case.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,042,684 times
I knew he was a player when I saw this clip

YouTube - janet on letterman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities