Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times

Advertisements

Or are they? Looking for someone to poke holes in my figures:

Current:

2 (dumb) cell phone family plan for $50/mo ($25 per phone)
Don't use even half the minutes or included texts. No data or extras.

DSL 1Mbps down, 400kbps up, $20/mo.
Usually pull down AT LEAST 10GB per month. Probably more like 20.

Total Telecommunications cost: $70/mo

The cheapest smartphone plan I can find is at least $75/phone. Even then, the data limit is around 2GB. Add tethering (assuming I'm not sneaky enough to get around it) and that's an extra $20, plus some plans which charge extra for android (+$10/mo).

With even a single phone, I'm breaking $100 per month. With 2 smart phones, it's more like $200 per month.

There's no way that the convenience of a smartphone justifies a 150% increase in my communications bill.

Even if I get a very limited data plan, the family cost still breaks at least $100, plus an extra $20 to keep the home internet. That's still a 80-110% increase in my total bill.

I could live with a 30-40% increase--since that's what I expect to gain in productivity/convenience from a smartphone--but I can't find numbers that work out. Anybody got any ideas? See anything I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
No. I don't think so. Not for my needs. I am sure some business person could justify the extra expense.

I have a regular cell phone - pretty much unlimited minutes, unlimited texts (including pictures, etc), and I never drop a call (and I always have the best signal out of any group of people I'm with)...for about $60 a month.

To go up to a smart phone where all the features are enabled to be used fluidly and realistically, I'd have to go up to at least $100 a month (like my wife's iphone plan).

I have internet at home. I have internet at work. I have internet in my car (as well as Nav/Onstar)...why the F would I need a smart phone?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Your numbers are off.

Cheapeast smartphone postpay plan is $70/month. Has unlimited data and text, 450 minutes (which is less important because of the following feature), unlimited mobile to mobile.

This is the Sprint EPRP plan.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
unlimited mobile to mobile.
Which is the way almost everyone connects these days. I know very few people on landlines.

The hidden charge on the Sprint Plan is the $10 monthly charge for "premium" (read: android) devices. Still the best plan overall.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Which is the way almost everyone connects these days. I know very few people on landlines.

The hidden charge on the Sprint Plan is the $10 monthly charge for "premium" (read: android) devices. Still the best plan overall.
My $70/month includes the $10 smartphone fee (the actual plan is $59.99/mo. It does not include the $10 4g fee though, but you don't need that to get a smartphone.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

You know what most people without land lines don't realize?

You have no enhanced 911.

Which means your address and location aren't available to the dispatch people when you call.
So if you can't give them all that info, you're screwed.

Until they perfect figuring out where you are without a land line, I'll always have a land line.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know what most people without land lines don't realize?

You have no enhanced 911.

Which means your address and location aren't available to the dispatch people when you call.
So if you can't give them all that info, you're screwed.

Until they perfect figuring out where you are without a land line, I'll always have a land line.
That's not true. Cell phones are just as good as landline.

Here's how it works:

Older phones use triangulation to locate you within 300 meters. This is crossreferenced with your home address. If they intersect, then it is assumed that you are at home. Many phones that are 2003 and newer have gps as well, but gps fails indoors.

Newer phones (2008 and newer) use AGPS (which will lock indoors) to locate you within 20 meters. This is crossreferenced with your home address. If they intersect, then it is assumed that you are at home. Typically locked within 30 seconds of initiation.

Where this fails is if you are not at home. But then AGPS still provides longitude and latitude, which is better than a landline can do when you are away from home.

E911 has regulations for all wireless phones.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
O come on. Even worst case scenario and GPS cannto find you...
You will spend $30-$50 a month just in case you need to call 911?
Call 911 much?
Makes sense just in case you are choking and cannot speak.
If you have to call 911, you will be unable to speak and say "I am at 24455 Main Street, Cleveland, Ohio"???
Yea, makes sense.

As to the Original Poster... you know what? Smartphone don't make sense for people that won't use all the features on it.
So there ya' go. Your point is valid.
I use mine for everything. I'd be lost without it.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM

#1. Thirty dollars?!!! Who is screwing you over for a land line at thirty dollars?!!!

#2. How the F do they know who is calling to 'cross reference' your home address?

#3. Working with EMS and dispatch closely, I can tell you that the triangulation actually takes a bit of time...it's not instant.

#4. Yes, lots of people who call 911 are not able to coherently give you their name and address for reasons that should be obvious.

Until my EMS guys and dispatch say the cell phones work as well, damn skippy I am going to keep a land line.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
For my needs ;no. But for what I my wife needs;yes her Iphone is worth it to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones