Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I've had 3 Droids and never had Calendar issues. Works flawlessly with Exchange.

As for Apple not having voice navigation "there's an app for that". Download the free and slightly better then Google's Navi by a company you may remember: Mapquest.

Oh the calender program works fine as long as I or my secretary input the calender entries using a computer. It is inputting calender entries using the phone where i have problems. Often it works, I just cannot remember the five or seven step process to do it. However sometimes even if I rememebr the process, it just will not work. I get that a lot. Tap on something ont he screen and nohting happens. Especially with very small buttons that you are trying to tap on, but it even happend withthe swipe thing to answer a telephone call. Sometimes I cannopt answer calls. It just does nto repond. The verizon store people said that this is often caused by the Androind not having enough processing power or ram available. They said it probably would not happen with the newer droids with dual core and over a gig of ram.

Thank you for the mapquest information. I like mapquest better than google anyway. At elast around us, Goole is frequently incorrect. Sometimes they have entire cities in the wrong location. I really need it to work jsut like the google one in that it will not only vocalize notice of turn, but speak over a phone call or speak up if i am dictating a text or e-mail, also I need to be able to tap on a clender entry or e-mail with an address and go right to nav. I think what I may have to do is buy an Iphone install the mapquest thing and go try it out. Verizon will allow you to echange a phone once withing a week of purchase. So if the nav does nto work, I cna always trace the Iphone for a razr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on???
I am not typing invisible text, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Everyone agreed that the Iphone navigation is terrible in comparison. However there are other Apps you can buy for Iphone navigation (Garmin or tomTom), but they are expensive and no one I talked to knows how well they work.
M A P Q U E S T
Works VERY well.

Sheesh...

Quote:

I was about to buy the Razr and then talked to some more people who have tried both. They said that the Iphone is absolutely stable and virtually never breaks or gets software glitches that make it not work. Even the new Droids are fraught with problems.
This is not true.
I support the phones in my office. 45% Droids. 45% iPhones. 5% Windows Mobile. 5% Blackberry.

Fraught with problems? How about the iOS5 update that took HOURS on every iPhone and destroyed the battery life on half of them. But not all. Had to wait for a patch...
How about Siri being a total gimmick that only understands my end users about half of the time. To a person, every iPhone user only uses Siri to well... show other people Siri. No one actually uses it to do anything with the phone.
I will concede that could be a statement about my end users and maybe Siri is AWESOMENESS!
How about the email I got from one 4S user... his iPhone refuses to delete a few emails he has. I just witnessed it. Very odd. I may have to wipe his phone to fix it.

To summarily dismiss all Droids as "fraught with problems"???
I don't see it. And believe me my users let me know when they have problems.
I can count the problems my users have had with Droids on one hand.

1 Droid Incredible 2: Speakerphone really quiet. VZW replaced phone.
2 Droid Incredible Memory Issue: This is a known issue. HTC suppoosedly pushed out a fix. Haven't seen issue since fix applied.

That's it.

O, I don't think you can count the 2 screrens that I cracked on my phone can you?

Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 AM

LOL Guess we were posting at the same time.
Calendering has always worked fine on phone of from PC on my 3 Droids.

I did have one issue when HTC pushed out an update where it would synch calendar entries wherever they originated in seconds... but if you then changed the time of the appointment, that change would NOT get reflected.
Admit that was a MAJOR pain for my boss who showed up at a clients door at 8am. Client not home. Meeting was rescheduled for noon.

The Mapquest app (also available for Android) is a seriously sweet app. It has a lot more options then the stock Google navi does. That's not saying much because the Google navi app has ummm o yea ZERO options to configure. lol

Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Gotta love status symbols. If it looketh holy, that it must be........

iPhones give my users many more problems than my droid users have. Sadly, marketing and status quo equates to iPhones being inherently better... reality check! They're not!

Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
LOL Guess we were posting at the same time.
Calendering has always worked fine on phone of from PC on my 3 Droids.

I did have one issue when HTC pushed out an update where it would synch calendar entries wherever they originated in seconds... but if you then changed the time of the appointment, that change would NOT get reflected.
Admit that was a MAJOR pain for my boss who showed up at a clients door at 8am. Client not home. Meeting was rescheduled for noon.

The Mapquest app (also available for Android) is a seriously sweet app. It has a lot more options then the stock Google navi does. That's not saying much because the Google navi app has ummm o yea ZERO options to configure. lol

Sigh. There seems to be a problem getting my concern with clendering accross. I NEVER said that the android calendering program does not work. I said it is complicated and I cannot remember the process. I also said that the touch screen does not work on little items like the calender. I have said this three times I think. I am not sure what it takes to achieve comprehension. Maybe it is not achievable. Still I get comments "the calendering program works fine" that is exactly what I said. It works fine. It is complicated and difficult to access using the touch screen so I have to have my secretary input the items from a computer. This is far less practical than saing "Siri Calender ****"

The same is true of Iphone navigation. It seems to work. It is just not useful to me the way that it works.

I am intersted in the mapquest program, but does anyone know whether it will do any of the following on the Iphone:

1. Talk over a telephone call?

2. Give warnings of upcoming turns while I am dictating a text or E-mail?

3. Allow me to tap a calender entry or e-mail with an address on it and put the address directly into navigation without haveg to type or speak in the address?

I know that Iphone will do #3 with the iphone nav program, but if I put Mapquest or Garmin on it, will it allow me to tap an address and go right to that program without having to input the address and without having to seperately open the application?

Those are the things I want in a navigator. If Iphone can do that with one of these programs, then it may be the best option for me. If it cannot, then I will probably go with razr.

I am not sure what "options to configure" are, but I do not want to spend a lot of time confiruing anything. I just want it to work. Tht is whay I like the android/google nav so much, it jsut works. I do not have to do anything. Tap the calender note, and i get step by step instrucitons. No effort, no looking at the phone while driving. Simple and safe. I do nto wnat to have to confiure options while driving. I probably do not even want to configure options when I am not driving.

I do like having the option for walking instructions as well as driving. That is very useful in cities.

the infomraton about Ipone vs. Android stability and reliability comes from 1. The Verizon store "We get a lot of Androids returned for problems like you have. We almost never have Iphones returned" 2. My personal experience with android (12 phones in less than 3 years) vs. my collegues experiences with Iphone (and my collegues experiences with Android). 100% of my collegues with Android have had software problems and had to get a new phone. Abour 5% with Iphone have had such problems. 3. OUr IT department. 4. Online reviews, and discussions.

I learned that Android is a system that is made to work with a myriad of different phones by differnt manufacturers. It must run apps made by all kinds of differnet developers. IOS is made by Apple for the Iphone only. The apps are made by apple only for the Iphone. IOs ahs been around for a long time and used exclusively for one phone during that time. Android is fairly new and is used in a never ending chain of very different phone. It makes snese that the Iphone system will be more stable.

I am learning that there are Iphone fans and Android fans and they are both very emotional about their preference. So far the most neutral information I have gotten are from the verizn store guy who loves both of them, and a college who is a gaget nut and hates both of them (but he uses an Iphone).

I am also very curious about which has better VR. I use VR almsot exclusively for everyhting that I do on the phone. Android VR ws very good until the recnet update. Homefull the next update will go back to the old and better VR system.

However IPohone gets very mixed reviews. The majority seem to say that the VR does nto work very well and that is what makes Siri of limited usefulness. Others say Iphone VR works perfectly almost all the time. Here, I cannot seem to get a majroity rational and informed feeling for which is likely true. The reactions are very mixed. However I have only one person who siad they found Siri useful. that is troubling becuuse Siri is the biggest appeal of the iphone. (Well that and the apprent suprior stability and durability).

Old 12-22-2011, 03:06 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
I'm not emotional about anything but legitimate, reasonable data. Android phones and iPhones have problems, both have their strengths, and both have their weaknesses.

If one was truly better than the other, there would only be one.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 PM

526 posts, read 898,488 times
there's going to be world peace before this controvesy is resolved.

I'm getting my lst "smart phone" and am (was) leaning toward Iphone for user friendliness...true

Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Talking Tastes Great!!! Less Filling!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
there's going to be world peace before this controvesy is resolved.

I'm getting my lst "smart phone" and am (was) leaning toward Iphone for user friendliness...true
Well, do it! Ignore the debating, which will certainly defer the arrival of whirled peas.

You can be happy with almost any decent smartphone, Android or Iphone.
Your service provider and plan are much more material to your enjoyment than the device.

I have an HTC EVO 4G. Android 2.3.3. It is fine. It is helpful and useful. I enjoy it very much.
I would probably be able to say the same thing about an Iphone if I had chosen one. Many of my friends have one or the other, and they all seem happy.

Get either one, learn how to make it serve you best and enjoy!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, do it! Ignore the debating, which will certainly defer the arrival of whirled peas.

You can be happy with almost any decent smartphone, Android or Iphone.
Your service provider and plan are much more material to your enjoyment than the device.

I have an HTC EVO 4G. Android 2.3.3. It is fine. It is helpful and useful. I enjoy it very much.
I would probably be able to say the same thing about an Iphone if I had chosen one. Many of my friends have one or the other, and they all seem happy.

Get either one, learn how to make it serve you best and enjoy!
Some of us may be spoiled by their current phone. Me by the nave system that I have come to rely on heavily. Iphone uses by having their phone work most of the time (if it really does work more often than android.)

Has anyone found Siri turely useful long term? If so, in what way?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sigh. There seems to be a problem getting my concern with clendering accross. I NEVER said that the android calendering program does not work. I said it is complicated and I cannot remember the process. I also said that the touch screen does not work on little items like the calender. I have said this three times I think. I am not sure what it takes to achieve comprehension. Maybe it is not achievable. Still I get comments "the calendering program works fine" that is exactly what I said. It works fine. It is complicated and difficult to access using the touch screen so I have to have my secretary input the items from a computer. This is far less practical than saing "Siri Calender ****"
No need to be rude, man.
When I say "it works fine" I mean the entire process.
Tap Calendar. Tap day of month.
Tap Add.
Enter event name.
Add any people.
Edit Time.
Save.

It works fine. No issues with MY touch screen. Maybe the Droid you had issues with had a touch screen issue but on most Droids TAPPING on the calendar, as I said already, works fine.

To answer your Mapquest questions, I know it will do #1 and #2. Not sure about #3. I can try it on my wife's iPhone and let you know.

When I talked about customizing, I just mean that I like having options to customize stuff.
You can change the icon for the car.
You can choose how the phone shows the map: 2D or 3D or North always up or your direction always up.
Nothing that you NEED to do to use the app, just things you can play with. I like having options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones