Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 11:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Try harder. I do it all the time. That you don't know how to do something and can't be bothered to learn does not mean it can't be done. It's absolutely trivial. I can't even fathom how you're unable to figure it out on your own.

Features over Android? No, they pretty much have the same features.

Performance? Use it and see for yourself. If I put my iPhone next to my Android phone and launch the text messaging app at the same time, the iPhone has popped up and is ready to go faster than the Android, for example. And that's when the Android phone is working properly (which isn't terribly often).

8GB is painfully small.

Go get a smaller Android.

You're clearly more familiar with Android and have no desire to learn iOS. You've had your iPhone for a couple days and clearly hate everything about it except the size, so why not just return it and stick with what you know?
Have you even tried what you are saying you did? I just tested my iPhone 6 (iOS 8) and Nexus 5 (Android 5.0), and the Nexus 5 was much faster than the iPhone at popping up the text messaging app. I wasn't expecting that considering that the Nexus 5 is an older phone with lower specs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I helped my friend with his Note 4 (or is it 5, the newest one). I liked it. I didn't see much on it that can't be done on my iPhone 5C. Methinks you just don't like Apple. There's no law that says you have to like it. Take it back and get the phone you want. We won't care.
I have the iPhone 6 and it still has features that the Note 4 doesn't have. I can't run two apps on the screen at the same time, for example.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
Yes it does, and the Android extremist has just arrived.

To answer your question OP, yes, they pretty much are. Apple has worked long and hard over the years to create this sort of exclusivity image where everyone that doesn't own an iPhone is "out of the loop". However, this mentality has blinded people from the leaps and bounds Android devices have achieved. People tend to think that Android devices are cheap and laggy, when the opposite is actually the case; Android phones as a whole have shown more innovation and change over the last few years than iPhones have shown in a long time. Just look at the near-bezelless, quad HD LG G3, the Moto X with always-on voice recognition, or the 3gb of ram on the newest devices. In comparison, iPhones just got regular HD displays with the 6, they only have 1gb of ram, and the bezels are still bigger than Peyton Manning's forehead. Unfortunately, people will continue to ignore these advancements as long as iPhones are "hip" and "cool".

OP, you are lucky to be able to see phones from an objective point of view without jumping on the Apple hype train for the sake of it being popular. I'd use your knowledge to make the right choice and return your iPhone.
The iPhones have been just as innovative. Apple Pay, for example, is much better than the Google Wallet implementation. Unfortunately, Apple crippled NFC (for now). The cloud integration on iPhones is way ahead of than on Android.

The reality is that both companies are innovative.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Posers have been loving Apple's overpriced products for years. *shrugs*
Have you been under a rock. Apple products sell well. Thus, they are hardly overpriced.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Since I've had a smart phone (5-6 years) I rarely actually call anyone on it. Mostly it's for texting, checking e-mail, news alerts, and internet when away from home or the office.

My wife has an I-Phone, I have an Android. I think the I-Phone probably is the best, but is overpriced considering the limited advantages over the Androids which cost several hundred less. The other problem with the I-Phone is that Apple keeps improving them and owners tend to rush to upgrade, which just keeps Apple profitable.
See my previous post. The iPhone has been selling well. It's not overpriced.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Uh, yea, we don't really use them as phones anymore.

Android phones WERE every bit as expensive as iPhones. Penny for penny almost the exact same price.
The difference is you could get low end models much cheaper, but for any "flagship device" they were the same...
Well they were, anyway, until Apple came out with the 6's and the $950 iPhone...

There is one thing I really hate about Apple though: this latest marketing campaign.
"Bigger Then Bigger"
Seriously? I'd love to meet the marketing GENIUS behind that slogan.
Horrible. Easily the worst slogan Apple has ever used.
Not really sure what they are trying to convey there. It's big? Yea, we know that. There's BIGGER. and then BIGGER THEN BIGGER? Dumb.

And Google finally has one I like.
"Be Together. Not The Same."
We can all have Android phones. And they don't have to be made by one company. You have a choice.
I wonder if Apple fired the guy who came up with this ad before going with "Bigger Then Better":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk

Old 12-07-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I'm not an Apple person, and actually kind of dislike the company. I see them as a marketing company. They put old technology into sleek packaging and customers are more than willing to pay a premium for the Apple logo. Apple knows this very well and takes advantage.

So my view of them is that they are much better at marketing than technology, but it is one hell of a successful business. Their brand managers are very good at what they do. They make reasonably good products, and sell them at a huge premium. That's heaven for any profit-seeking entity and they've done a great job with that.
Apple is a marketing genius. But they do more than that. They innovate and create technology as well. They are as much of a contributor to the technology industry with innovation as anyone else (except Microsoft).

Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
It's amazing to me that you guys will go on for pages and pages arguing about Android devices versus Apple. Amazing.

In the end, they all do basically the same stuff. If one model fits your needs or aesthetics or budget a little better than another, cool, go with that.

But arguing about mobile phones to the point of trading insults? Unbelievable. We deserve to be wiped out by an asteroid.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:43 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
... Unbelievable. We deserve to be wiped out by an asteroid.
Hmmmph.
I will settle for nothing less than Armageddon By Comet.

See, I have a Windows Phone!

Old 12-08-2014, 03:49 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hmmmph.
I will settle for nothing less than Armageddon By Comet.
I'm just being grumpy.

But really... it's unbelievable, what even an inexpensive cell phone allows us to do, and even more so when you compare things to ten or fifteen years ago. Taking "sides" and bickering over the relatively small details that make current models different is just so childish and really grinds my gears.

That said, to address the original post, for sure, Apple's marketing and design aesthetic are part of what make their phones appealing. It's smart on their part.

As someone who used android phones for years and then got an iPhone, I think the differences are pretty overblown, except for certain specific needs. I would not want to go back to an Andrios phone (right now, anyways) and that's because I make music. That's an application where the iPhone is really superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones