Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:00 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,017,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Six job seekers for every job doesn't sound so terrible if you turn it around and tell yourself "I only have to be more impressive than five other people".
Hang in there!
Or you can tell yourself: " Yes, I understand that the odds are stacked against me, but I'm going to give it my best shot. I'll know it's my best shot when I'm satisfied that I've done everything I can. I'm not going to take the advice of people who don't know my husband from anyone, yet bash him, as I know that says more about them than it does about him."

"I know him better than anyone on some internet site, and I'll measure him by my metrics, and my metrics alone."

That would be my advice, for what it's worth.

I'd also suggest making sure you've exhausted every source of public help as well as those from churches, synagogues, mosques, etc, in order to survive.
One poster suggested not increasing your family size until your family is more secure; that's good advice. Planned Parenthood can help in that area.

Last thing I can offer you is to get involved with some public service or political group in order to demand that your elected representitives do something to help people in your situation, for your situation can become mine (or 95% of Americans) with the next Wall Street meltdown.

As far as moving, I'd use the same standard one uses in bear country when you encounter such a critter:

Never blindly run from a bear; only run if you KNOW you have a secure spot you can get to, and can get to it in tme.

Again, best of luck to the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,369,955 times
People who just do their best are never good enough....

You have to go above and beyond what is considered your best to what the employer sees as your best, those are the people getting hired....

Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,545,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
People who just do their best are never good enough....

You have to go above and beyond what is considered your best to what the employer sees as your best, those are the people getting hired....

When we are seeing news stories where people are having surgeries and face lifts to keep their jobs and/or get hired, then we have a huge problem. This society is in a hell of a mess and people that skirt over these issues are enablers to the abuse that corporate America is shelling out.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:32 AM

Corporate America doesn't pay the bills. There are very few people who live in those great big offices with 7 figure salaries, it is the guys and gals that live in the trenches and go above and beyond the 'normal' work week that get ahead.....

Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Corporate America doesn't pay the bills. There are very few people who live in those great big offices with 7 figure salaries, it is the guys and gals that live in the trenches and go above and beyond the 'normal' work week that get ahead.....

seriously???
Of course only a small amount live in the ivory towers, it is those who do the grunt work that make things happen. But what you are missing is that the "suits" are abusing those who are in the trenches to get what they want.
At the end of the day, that is all that they care about. You sure don't hear of a bank exec losing all that he/she has or for that matter even half of it.

eta:
I don't care who you are or what you do, you should NOT have to have surgeries to maintain a job. That doesn't determine your ability to perform.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 AM

I don't think everyday people are having surgery to keep their jobs unless they are in a position that requires a certain appearance to be maintained to maintain their postition, ie a ring girl at a UFC fight may have an augmentation, but even that won't keep her employed in that field much past the age of 30......

Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,017,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
seriously???
Of course only a small amount live in the ivory towers, it is those who do the grunt work that make things happen. But what you are missing is that the "suits" are abusing those who are in the trenches to get what they want.
At the end of the day, that is all that they care about. You sure don't hear of a bank exec losing all that he/she has or for that matter even half of it.

eta:
I don't care who you are or what you do, you should NOT have to have surgeries to maintain a job. That doesn't determine your ability to perform.
The current ratio of executive pay to workers in Fortune 500 companies is 653:1.

But Tom is correct about "Corporate America not paying the bills."

Corporate Taxes (%-wise) payed to the Fed. Gov't are at an historic low.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 AM

Corporations do not pay any taxes, they just pass them on to the customers or pay their employees less to compensate for higher corp. taxes....

Old 07-26-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I don't think everyday people are having surgery to keep their jobs unless they are in a position that requires a certain appearance to be maintained to maintain their postition, ie a ring girl at a UFC fight may have an augmentation, but even that won't keep her employed in that field much past the age of 30......

there was a story on the Today show yesterday morning about this very thing......

Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Corporations do not pay any taxes, they just pass them on to the customers or pay their employees less to compensate for higher corp. taxes....

pass it along to those who are unemployed or under-employed......
that makes a lot of sense.......
Corporate America is as corrupt as DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area