Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times

Advertisements

But it kept you all out of trouble for a little while.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,686,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Can we make it to page 29 of this thread??? That's my prediction
Figured you would want to go to page 18 not 29.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,966,303 times
I'm not so sure about the public assistance (as the hubby is presumably perfectly healthy and able to actually get a job)...I hope they are busy getting marriage counseling. Seems they need it.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:21 AM

61 posts, read 213,935 times
I'll be real blunt, tell your husband to get off his ass and start working! As for you, if you are paying for a deductible to get your own car back, then it sounds like the accident was your fault. Here is my opinion, kick your husband out on his ass, and get your crap straight, you said you had only been working a year, so why weren't you working before that to save up money? Your problems sound more like your own doing by being stupid, and frankly, I will be blunt, I wouldn't give you a dime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Sweat View Post
I know it's not the end of the world for me. I am depressed because my situation is getting worse and worse. I wonder if I will ever be financially stable and can get past this financial crisis.....

I found this forum and just decided I need to vent. I do vent very well through writing. It helps me get everything out of my head and down on the paper or the screen.

I have a full time stable job. I have been working for the past year to support myself and my husband until he gets on his feet with a job. I am striving every week to pay bills, rent, food, and recently I was involved in an auto accident that has caused me so much time and money. I have a $500 deductible that I have to pay in order to get my car back and no money to pay it. I have a bank account overdrawn to pay bills, and I recently dished out most of my money just to be able to pay necessary bills and pay for a rental car. Living on very little food. My fridge is pretty much empty my pantry has a few cans of peas and ramen noodles. I am to the point where I don't know what to do, how to be able to afford to live and work and how to be able to support me and my husband on one income.

My husband has no job and no car and always finds execuses for not being able to walk to a store and apply just to make a few extra dollars to be able to make ends meet. I have never thought that it would be this hard to just get on my feet and make it and now I am worried more than ever that I am going to keep getting set back until I have to move in with family and friends.

I am more along the lines of venting when I write this but any helpful advice would be appreciated too. You never truly know dissappointment, shame, and helplesness until you have been literally slapped in the face with it. I try and I try to get my husband to take on the load and I don't believe in divorce he is a great man aside from the fact he wont find work. I just don't know what else to do...

Am I reaching the end of the rope?

I am worried about the future. I am worried how much longer am I going to be able to survive where I am and not have to move in with my parents and move backwards and I don't know what else to do.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 6,472 times
Default well...

Actually I have been working for the majority of my marriage I have just moved here about a year ago and have been working the whole time while my husband has not... And yes you may be being really blunt, BUT you don't know the whole issues with my life either. I have been trying my whole marriage to make things work... I am just asking for advice on here not money and I wouldn't take money from you either if that's what you think...

Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 6,472 times
I have read all the comments on here and actually I have checked out some of the things you recommended me. I don't have much time as being I can only check the Internet when I am at work. There is no way I can get another part time job due to the hours I work 11am-9pm if so I would get another job. I have tried selling avon and other stuff on the side in the past but it doesn't work. I am hopefully getting a promotion within the company I work in the next year and that will help out. My husband has been looking a little and posting stuff on craigslist but nothing that takes up more than a few hours we will see how things go.

Since my original post though even more stuff has happened and now I am more broke than ever... but I think things will get better and I have to believe they will....

Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,007,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Do you mean James Madison, one of the founding fathers?

The entire reason for the three seperate sections of government was to get away from a Democracy. Democracy is mob rule, republic is democracy but the key word is 'Representative' Republic which makes a big difference, takes the mob rule out and installs the concept of Minority Rights into the Majority Rule....
Utterly wrong, Tom.

Main fear the Founding Fathers had was a monarchy.

Madison,( and others) liked the idea of seperation of power as it would spread political power out- keep the prez from becoming a king.

Which is why he borrowed it from the Iriquois Confederation.

They set-up the Senate as a check on democracy, but that was mostly to satisfy the small states who feared domination by New York, Virginia, etc.

Again, Madison used the tems interchangably.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Sweat View Post
I have read all the comments on here and actually I have checked out some of the things you recommended me. I don't have much time as being I can only check the Internet when I am at work. There is no way I can get another part time job due to the hours I work 11am-9pm if so I would get another job. I have tried selling avon and other stuff on the side in the past but it doesn't work. I am hopefully getting a promotion within the company I work in the next year and that will help out. My husband has been looking a little and posting stuff on craigslist but nothing that takes up more than a few hours we will see how things go.

Since my original post though even more stuff has happened and now I am more broke than ever... but I think things will get better and I have to believe they will....
I believe all of us here wish you luck, and I trust you can distinguish the various opinions as to their relevence to your actual situation, as you know that the best.

Obviously.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Figured you would want to go to page 18 not 29.
This website is addictive- sort of like watching pro wrestling or a Miss America contest- mindless fun!

But, alas, the real world is starting to rear its ugly head (or head its ugly rear; not sure which), so I'll be around less frequent.

Good luck again to the OP.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,347,207 times
Read what Jefferson wrote about Democracy, he was one of the founding fathers also. He was concerned with a King but he was utterly fearful of Democracy and mob rule, he was also for states rights not an all powerful centrally controlled government.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area